Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Jan 11, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #437 of 756
Tried DT990VB pads on HE-400 today, they suck. 10% to small, making them hell to mount on Hifiman rings and they contain 50% less foam than the stock velours, ears ended up touching the drivers.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #441 of 756

You don't, they are too big.

They actually fit on just fine, with no modifications. Just put them on the same way as stock pads.  Yes, the pads WILL stick out past the cup enclosure, but despite looking too small for the Audeze pads, the plastic rings from the (newer) HE series do end up holding the pads down enough so that they do not slide around.

I'm using the vegan pads myself, and I can actually listen to the he 500's as long as I want to now, instead of getting sore from the stock pads.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #442 of 756

They actually fit on just fine, with no modifications. Just put them on the same way as stock pads.  Yes, the pads WILL stick out past the cup enclosure, but despite looking too small for the Audeze pads, the plastic rings from the (newer) HE series do end up holding the pads down enough so that they do not slide around.

I'm using the vegan pads myself, and I can actually listen to the he 500's as long as I want to now, instead of getting sore from the stock pads.

Yep, using vegan pads as well.

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #446 of 756

Not the greatest pics but here you go:

Thank you, Sir.
beerchug.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #447 of 756
Just recently tried out the velour dt880/990/t1 pads on my HE-500 and find much more comfortable than the stock velours. Also just removed the stock grills to compare sound, which I enjoyed very much so I will do the re-grill mod this weekend.

Curious, is the porting on the inside of these much like the idea behind the jergpad mod ?

(pictured are the lambskin pads)

Also, what seems to be the most popular pads everyone is going with ? I am anxious to try other pads to see how they sound and feel, really want to try angled pads as it seems that there is too much room behind my ears that sound is escaping from 
L3000.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #448 of 756
  Just recently tried out the velour dt880/990/t1 pads on my HE-500 and find much more comfortable than the stock velours. Also just removed the stock grills to compare sound, which I enjoyed very much so I will do the re-grill mod this weekend.

Curious, is the porting on the inside of these much like the idea behind the jergpad mod ?

(pictured are the lambskin pads)

Also, what seems to be the most popular pads everyone is going with ? I am anxious to try other pads to see how they sound and feel, really want to try angled pads as it seems that there is too much room behind my ears that sound is escaping from 
L3000.gif

If you dug through my older posts you'll find version 1 of my mod, and in the preface of that writeup I did mention that I had (still have) the jmoney beyer pads, which also happened to have these holes, and that it hinted me toward the idea of doing it on the HFM pleathers to get rid of the "cavernous" issue.

Feb 17, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #450 of 756
  This is relace hifi earpads with double hifi earpads 
tongue.gif

See complete steps here

An non permanent way of doing this would be to cut a sock and use the tube portion (above ankle) to keep the two pads together. You'd be able to try things like this without permanently damaging pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back