Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Oct 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #407 of 756
The LCD3 pads definitely tame the bass down, probably because of the distancing from the driver. It's more mid-forward and open sounding than velour pads, at the expense of bass. Therefore I would not really do it with HIFIMAN headphones unless maybe the HE500.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 1, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #408 of 756
The LCD3 pads definitely tame the bass down, probably because of the distancing from the driver. It's more mid-forward and open sounding than velour pads, at the expense of bass. Therefore I would not really do it with HIFIMAN headphones unless maybe the HE500.

It's definitely a smooth-sounding set of pads, but I didn't dig it too much with the HE500s. 
tongue.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #409 of 756

It's definitely a smooth-sounding set of pads, but I didn't dig it too much with the HE500s. 
tongue.gif

Aha, well they definitely sound even worse on the HE400/HE6 by default (not on my HE6 rig though
tongue.gif
). That's why I said maybe better on the HE500, haven't tested it on that headphone myself.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #410 of 756
  Aha, well they definitely sound even worse on the HE400/HE6 by default (not on my HE6 rig though
tongue.gif
). That's why I said maybe better on the HE500, haven't tested it on that headphone myself.

It's a shame I moved back to Toronto recently, otherwise we could easily sit down and try out different earpads (for instance, I'm really interested in hearing how the newest rendition of the Jergpads fare with HE6).

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #415 of 756
I think you mean either jmoney or M.Lawton (Lawton pads). There is no j.lawton pads that I know of. I tried both of those pads but they sucked out the bass and were kinda too small. I believe 90mm where you looking for 103.

I found that the he-500 are kinda the opposite of most headphones where thickness and angle are concerned. The thicker the pad, the more aggressive the angle on a pad the more the bass seems to float away. L-3000's are 100mm and not as thick or angled as most of the pad options out there but supremely soft and way more comfy than the stock pleather and velour hifiman pads.

SQ wise not a whole lot of change from stock, which was for me a good thing. I put them up against stax 02, denon, Lawton, jmoney(denon), and audeze lcd-2 leather. To me the L-3000's were it. Also, if you had jmoney, was it jmoney beyer or denon? To me the denon variations are too small, work but barely and audeze too big, kept floating around. Stax was pretty darn good but even those messed with the sound in a way I did not care for.

Typo error. M. Lawton unless Mark's middle name is J.

Still switching between these and the LCD2 vegan.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #420 of 756
On the Alpha pads website, they state that they fit on the HE400 and HE500, but I am struggling to find photos of them working - or heading success stories.

I haven't read this entire thread.

Has anyone had luck with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back