Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Jun 10, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #466 of 756
Quick question though: are the foam ring pads you're talking about ones you've physically removed from the inside of the existing HFM pads? Because my ear touches the driver on the HE-6 and I need to get some more space there for comfort's sake. Corollary question: anywhere I can by said foam ring pads separately, or something else with an equivalent effect? 

Said rings can be found on the velour pads (not sure about pleathers). The velour pads are $10-$15 from Hifiman, you could just remove the rings. Or you can just use something else to get a bit of lift on the pads.

Jun 10, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #467 of 756
  Said rings can be found on the velour pads (not sure about pleathers). The velour pads are $10-$15 from Hifiman, you could just remove the rings. Or you can just use something else to get a bit of lift on the pads.

Much obliged! I'll take a look at the velours tomorrow and see if I can extract them without totally destroying all human life within a 10-mile radius (I'm not exactly handy). Thanks again!

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #468 of 756
Much obliged! I'll take a look at the velours tomorrow and see if I can extract them without totally destroying all human life within a 10-mile radius (I'm not exactly handy). Thanks again!

You can easily remove them without destroying anything :)
Also, I asked Hifimam and they offered me to buy the foam rings separately $5 apiece.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #469 of 756
I'm assuming you're talking about the HM5 pads, and I've got to say-- I agree. I tried them on my HE-6, and they managed to get me the treble extension and openness without the wonkiness of the HFM leather pads. LOVE them thus far!

Quick question though: are the foam ring pads you're talking about ones you've physically removed from the inside of the existing HFM pads? Because my ear touches the driver on the HE-6 and I need to get some more space there for comfort's sake. Corollary question: anywhere I can by said foam ring pads separately, or something else with an equivalent effect? 

Yep I took them from my pleather pads (my velours don't have them). I cut 1cm of the foam ring away because the HM5 pads have slightly smaller radius. With the foam rings I got more bass and my ears are now further away from drivers. Those HFM pads are quite resourceful.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #470 of 756
I have heard that the HFM velours are better acoustically than the leathers. I also like the "openess" of the velours but the velours do not seal behind or below my ear. Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement velour pad for my HE-500s?

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #471 of 756
  I have heard that the HFM velours are better acoustically than the leathers. I also like the "openess" of the velours but the velours do not seal behind or below my ear. Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement velour pad for my HE-500s?

Yes.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #473 of 756
  Could you re-link that, it doesn't work. Thanks though.

Works on my end, I think the site has some vulnerability so Google Chrome blocks it.

Try http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=203, but the 'shop' still links to the url I linked above.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #474 of 756
  Works on my end, I think the site has some vulnerability so Google Chrome blocks it.

Try http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=203, but the 'shop' still links to the url I linked above.

Never mind, I took "new" out of the link and it brought me to the Focus-A pad. Is that what you meant to link? If so, have you tried these before? They seem like production versions of your Jergpads, will they have similar properties and fit well? I couldn't find any reviews on these ear pads, only people selling them.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #475 of 756

Never mind, I took "new" out of the link and it brought me to the Focus-A pad. Is that what you meant to link? If so, have you tried these before? They seem like production versions of your Jergpads, will they have similar properties and fit well? I couldn't find any reviews on these ear pads, only people selling them.

The Focus/Focus-A pads are the stock pads for HE560 and HE400i, and tons of people have tried em with older Hifiman cans like HE500/400/6/4 etc. 

They fit a lot nicer on the head than older pads, more ergonomic and higher quality foam used inside. Acoustics-wise quite well-damped and fully sealing at the same time, so a bit of a compromise in sound like Jergpads, but maybe more accurate than musical.

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #476 of 756
  The Focus/Focus-A pads are the stock pads for HE560 and HE400i, and tons of people have tried em with older Hifiman cans like HE500/400/6/4 etc. 

They fit a lot nicer on the head than older pads, more ergonomic and higher quality foam used inside. Acoustics-wise quite well-damped and fully sealing at the same time, so a bit of a compromise in sound like Jergpads, but maybe more accurate than musical.

Since the velours don't seal around my head, will the Focus-A pads have a better soundstage than the velours? Sorry for the questions but what exactly do you mean by it will be more accurate than musical?

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #477 of 756

Since the velours don't seal around my head, will the Focus-A pads have a better soundstage than the velours? Sorry for the questions but what exactly do you mean by it will be more accurate than musical?

It should be more musical than the velours 
biggrin.gif

As for the soundstage, I wouldn't expect it to get bigger because of better sealing. You'll get more even and better bass response but there should be a reduction in air and treble energy, if slight, so perhaps a very slight reduction in sheer soundstage size.
You WILL get lots of comfort though,,, These pads are seriously comfy.
Depending on what you like:
Focus pads - more bite, energy, comfort-more firm/less softness [though still plenty soft IMO]
Focus-A pads - more rounded, relaxed, natural, comfort-softer/more decompression.

Sep 11, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #478 of 756
  It should be more musical than the velours 
biggrin.gif

As for the soundstage, I wouldn't expect it to get bigger because of better sealing. You'll get more even and better bass response but there should be a reduction in air and treble energy, if slight, so perhaps a very slight reduction in sheer soundstage size.
You WILL get lots of comfort though,,, These pads are seriously comfy.
Depending on what you like:
Focus pads - more bite, energy, comfort-more firm/less softness [though still plenty soft IMO]
Focus-A pads - more rounded, relaxed, natural, comfort-softer/more decompression.

Thanks conquerator, it is very hard to find a very on the ear pads. I think I will end up getting the Focus-A pads. Thanks again!

Sep 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #479 of 756
Hi. I have Focus pads in both my HE-500 and HE-4. I did some tests with stock velour, stock pleather and the Beyer (gray) velour. I didn't find any dramatically difference sonically, so I choose the Focus pads for it's great comfort and because they don't affect the sound for me. After that I quit at pad rolling for HFMs.

Sep 19, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #480 of 756
I'm very happy with the Focus pads in my He-500/4, but i have a slight problem; the right pad rotates freely while it's fully mounted --> The pad rotates every time i put on or pull out the headphones. I guess its a issue with the mounting space within the cups and not a fault of the pads itself. So, is there a easy way to keep the Focus pads in place in order to keep the fit angle fixed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back