Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Sep 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #481 of 756
  I'm very happy with the Focus pads in my He-500/4, but i have a slight problem; the right pad rotates freely while it's fully mounted --> The pad rotates every time i put on or pull out the headphones. I guess its a issue with the mounting space within the cups and not a fault of the pads itself. So, is there a easy way to keep the Focus pads in place in order to keep the fit angle fixed?

Tape.  I use those photo stickies with holes punched on the old mounting rings (see modulor's jergpad guide on making them).  For the newer mounting rings, some strategically placed tape should do it.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #483 of 756
I'm considering ordering the Lawton Audio Angle Pads for the HE-500s. I absolutely love the feel of my Denon AHD2000s and hope I can get a somewhat similar feel out of my HiFiMANs.

I've read through probably the latest 10 pages of the thread and I've heard that the Lawton ones are highly recommended. Are there any obvious drawbacks that I haven't seen in this thread? Would love to be able to fit the D2000 earpads on the HiFiMANs but reading a page or two back it seems to be a very complicated process. Thoughts?

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #484 of 756
Edit: My bad on this. I guess I had one post open in one tab and accidentally replied here... I hope it's OK, but I've reposted it in the relevant thread HERE. Mods can feel free to delete this if you don't like the clutter.

Just purchased the Aune T1 from Amazon for $220 and added on the $40 Genalex E88CC tube which I'll swap out. I'll keep the tube that comes with it around as a spare. Will report back my thoughts with my HiFiMAN HE-500s in the coming days. The DAC should arrive tomorrow.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #485 of 756
I did not like the stock D2000 pads with the HiFiMAN at all. Hopefully the angled, deeper Lawtons will fare better...
As for T1 and a DAC, that should be OK as it is a warmish amp 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #486 of 756
Just got two pairs of the new memory foam HM5 pads (one velour, one pleather).  Haven't tested the pleathers yet (see notes, below), but the velours are excellent on the HE-500s.  I compared them directly to the FocusPads (modded with a stiff foam ring inserted for extra clearance).  While the FocusPads are OK (more comfortable than I recalled since the last time I used them), they were a little bright and the bass was a little anemic.  The new HM5 velours correct both these problems, as well as being far more comfortable.  For my ears, the sound is more balanced, at least on the initial listen.  Those FocusPads will be modded for jerg's new HE-560s enhancements.

I haven't compared the HM5 velours to my DIY pads (using the Q701 pad foam as a base, angled, and covered in microsuede), but the HM5s are definitely more comfortable.  I suspect the HM5s may warm up the sound a bit, as the DIYs use a relatively stiff foam, and are even more spacious.

I did try the HM5 velours on the HE-560s, but as with other pads, they are a little too big to get under the yokes.  The FocusPads (both types) have a very straight outer wall that slips under the yokes nicely.  The HM5s are bigger and a bit puffier on the outer wall.  While it's possible to wedge them under the yokes, they don't move freely, and the fit is a bit loose and awkward.  As to the sound, I still prefer my other DIY pads (using old HFM pads foam as the base, angled, and covered in microsuede) to any other pads I've tried, and that now includes the memory foam HM5 pads.  They muffled the natural detail retrieval of the HE-560s.  That was apparent immediately upon switching back to my favs.  I don't really bother with the FocusPads on the HE-560s (been there, done that), but am really curious how jerg's new mods will play out.

Hopefully I'll be able to test the new HM5 pleathers later today.  My suspicion is that the velours will win the day, and the pleathers will get the microsuede treatment.  I can't sing the praises enough of that material as the covering.  The velours, while nice, still have a tendency to get scratchy.  It's not as bad as the old HFM velours, and they are super soft and cushioned.  Thus my inclination to use the microsuede on one of those pairs.  Pleather is pretty meh as a covering, so....

For the record, I'd say my ears are normal size (they don't stick out a lot, but I am 6' 5"/195 cm), but always seem large when it comes to pads.  For example, the openings of the Shure Alcantara pads are way to small; they sit half on my ears.  FocusPads are pretty good, and have decent depth with the foam ring inserted.  These new HM5 pads have plenty of room, are not irritating, and seem to float on my head.  I had to bend the headband of the HE-500s to get a bit more clamp.

I did create a crescent-shaped foam ring (folded the foam ring from the FocusPads and cut it in half, then angled the ends a bit, and trimmed to make them thinner) and inserted those into the HM5 velours.  It creates a mild angle and gives a bit more clearance.  Not sure I noticed a difference in sound.  I did not do the back vent mod (see the jergpad modding guide), though I may do that soon.  It seems to help the HE-500s.  My HE-500s do have the Fuzzor and grill mods.

Mounting Fun

I was able to get full-size HiFiMAN mounting rings into the velours without incident.  Not so lucky with the pleathers.  I have a couple extra pairs of the mounting rings, but they seem to use slightly different plastic.  The pair that worked with the velours seem a little more pliable than the other pair.  The stiffer pair broke on the outer portion (not a complete break) when I was working them into the pleather pads.  I also have a pair of rings in the old HM5 pads.  I had trimmed the outer portion of those rings, which makes it easier to get them in, but the fit of rings+pads on the cans is a little loose.  It works, but it would be better to use the full rings.  Double-sided tape (photo stickies, etc.) would probably help stabilize them.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #487 of 756
Any chance you've had the opportunity to compare the HM5 velours, stock velours and FocusPad-A on the HE500?

I feel like Focus-A has a touch of extra sweetness in the upper mid, but can be a (tiny) touch harsh on some songs as well. Might lose a teeny smidge off the bass, but barely enough to be noticeable.

I'm wondering how the HM5 velors compare. Thoughts?

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #488 of 756
Any chance you've had the opportunity to compare the HM5 velours, stock velours and FocusPad-A on the HE500?

I feel like Focus-A has a touch of extra sweetness in the upper mid, but can be a (tiny) touch harsh on some songs as well. Might lose a teeny smidge off the bass, but barely enough to be noticeable.

I'm wondering how the HM5 velors compare. Thoughts?

tl;dr: traded away my FocusPad-As.

Sorry, but I traded my FocusPad-As for another set of FocusPads, assuming I'd deconstruct or otherwise mod them.  I really couldn't stand the lack of comfort with the As.  I tried wearing them, but it just wasn't happening.  In terms of depth, they're the polar opposites of the new HM5 pads.  I know the FocusPads get a justified rap for being a tad bright.  But I covered that.  The HM5 velours only get bright with excessive volume on certain songs.  Same songs and volume with the FocusPads would make my ears bleed.  The HM5s don't lose anything with a proper volume reduction.  They could be even bassier if they weren't so deep.  I did a simple test of slowly compressing them (not obstructing the grills), and there was a noticeable increase.  But I've found the more spacious pads have a sound stage I prefer.  I'm definitely a depth junkie.  I'll be curious to see if they compress over time, and if I'll notice.  But I still prefer them.  May be new toy syndrome, but I haven't enjoyed my HE-500s this much since I got the HE-560s.

Still no time for the pleathers.  I did do the back vent mod on both.  Manage to get the rings into the pleathers.  The key is to stretch the vinyl without stressing the rings too much.  I patched up the damaged ring and didn't have any problems with them.

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #489 of 756
Did you back vent the HM5 velours?

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #490 of 756
Did you back vent the HM5 velours?

Back vented both HM5 pads.  I've found in the past that it works well with most pads on the HE-500s.  Totally reversible, so why not give it a go.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #492 of 756
You have to cut off about 1/2 an inch of the pleather lip.

Dec 30, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #494 of 756
I've devised a very easy mod to upgrade the FocusPad-A. It seems to add a touch of extra soundstage clarity and warmth. I've rolled a ridiculous number of pads on the HE500, and this has been my favorite sound of all the pads BY FAR.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/748467/hansotek-s-focuspad-a-mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back