Mini-Review: JMoney replacement Leather Ear Pads for Denon D2000 D5000 D7000
Aug 20, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #76 of 91

Quote:
Denon is in it to make money. They will cut corners to make a bigger profit. They may know ways of making there cans sound even better but it would cost to much to make it. They have a budget and price point that they are trying to keep the can in. They just cant put an extra 1000 worth of stuff, technology, time, labor, etc when they are shooting to release a 700-1000 can just because they know it will sound even better. Just talk to sony about there r10 as a price no object can that they ended up losing money with. Also he is not making 1300. If you supply the can, the mod is only 1000. 50ft of jenawire alone is 250 bucks. That isnt including the xlrs, dynamat, stuffing, woodcups, shipping to and from austrailia and then back to you. At best, he would be making 500 if I go low on all the rest of the junk not including time to do the mod and cable. I have also owned the hd800 and dont think those are worth there asking price. Before you say that it is not worth the extra 1000 or the hd800 is better, wouldnt it be smart to actually compare or at least hear a la7000 and a hd800 side by side. You are making a lot of assumptions about the la7000 for never hearing one. Troll perhaps

Yeah, make me a troll, nice!

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #77 of 91

Quote:
Headphones enclosure are not cars to stuff dynamat to get better bass and sound. But is ok for you if you paid 2000$ for a 700$ pair of headphones with dynamat, some exotic cable, thicker earpads and some good looking wood. The 100 years of experience of Denon (celebratied this year) is nothing in comparison to some mods made by someone in his spare time. He's making 1300$ per headphone DEVELOPED by DENON. Somehow some cables, wood and dynamat is more expensive than the actual headhpone. But you are free to belive what you want.

ROFL! It really doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. People just need to look at it from a wide point of view...and you are completely right. It's sad, but it's also very funny how some people fall into that kind of stuff...with modding and all.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #78 of 91

Quote:
ROFL! It really doesn't take a genius to figure this one out. People just need to look at it from a wide point of view...and you are completely right. It's sad, but it's also very funny how some people fall into that kind of stuff...with modding and all.

Is nice that other people can see the elephant in the room too. I want to add that i heard the HD800 is they sound very very good. Definetly a must buy in the future for me.

Aug 20, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #79 of 91
Well, getting back on track...

I did purchase the V2 of the Denon Pads and found a few things things.  The ear holes are smaller than my Markl-modded earpads and don't have the plastic "D" shaped support ring that are in the stock Denon pads.  The foam is stiff and I do have to expand the head adjustments to accomodate the pads.

That being said, I find them more supportive and comfortable than the stock and Markl-modded earpads.  The lambskin is quite comfortable and while I still sweat under the pads, it's not as bad as before.  The stiff foam does create a good seal around my ears but I do hope it will soften some over time.

Arguments aside, I trust my ears to decide what I like.  I had my stock D2000 modded into the LA2000 lites with Jarrah wood cups and the difference in sound quality was incredible.  Swapping the J$ earpads for the Markl-modded ones, I heard no real change in quality.
Overall, I am a satisfied customer.

Isn't that what counts?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #80 of 91

Quote:
Well, getting back on track...

I did purchase the V2 of the Denon Pads and found a few things things.  The ear holes are smaller than my Markl-modded earpads and don't have the plastic "D" shaped support ring that are in the stock Denon pads.  The foam is stiff and I do have to expand the head adjustments to accomodate the pads.

That being said, I find them more supportive and comfortable than the stock and Markl-modded earpads.  The lambskin is quite comfortable and while I still sweat under the pads, it's not as bad as before.  The stiff foam does create a good seal around my ears but I do hope it will soften some over time.

Arguments aside, I trust my ears to decide what I like.  I had my stock D2000 modded into the LA2000 lites with Jarrah wood cups and the difference in sound quality was incredible.  Swapping the J$ earpads for the Markl-modded ones, I heard no real change in quality.
Overall, I am a satisfied customer.

Isn't that what counts?

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

What are the sound improvements?

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #81 of 91

Quote:
What are the sound improvements?

I used them for a good while after burn-in with no mods and the bass was very prominent, if not a bit muddy.  The mids and highs sounded recessed (perhaps due to the bass).  After the mods, the bass was very punchy and tight with no hint of muddiness.  The mids and highs were brought forward considerably and everything sounds more balanced.  The bass is definitely still there but is by no means overwhelming.  I have listened to these cans on a variety of amps including, Practical Devices XM4 and XM5, RSA P-51 Mustang and SR-71A, Little Dot MK IV SE, and most recently the Schiit Asgard.  I will not say the stock Denons were bad, but the mods made them sound a whole lot better for me...definitely keepers.

Please remember, these are my impressions and YMMV...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #82 of 91
The idea of greek lambskin smells and feels great!
However, perspiration is a big enemy of leather, and delicate earpads made of supple leather might be even more vulnerable.

Question: Are there any good leather protector fluids (such as Scotchguard for fabrics) that can prevent the leather from cracking and absorbing all that icky ear moisture? Also, does anyone have good tips to share on how to care for and maintain the lambskin to maximise their service lifespan?

Thanks in advance :)

Mar 3, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #83 of 91
I ordered a pair of V3 on Sunday, can't wait to get it......

May 11, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #84 of 91
I have a question regarding the ... uhm ... placement of the pads after they've been fitted. 

Right now I have the "thickest" part of the pads in the "back" of the phone, like I think the stocks are. With this tho, I find (or just imagine) that the front of the pads / my head has a bit of air between pad and head. 

That's why I'm wondering how you guys have your J-money-pads placed on the phones. Just curious, and cant find good pictures on how the original pads sits on the 7000s. 

Other than that, I love that the new pads takes out the bass-rumble that was very present with the stock pads. They also give me a slightly bigger soundstage, and makes my ears not hit the cloth grill thingie. 

May 12, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #85 of 91
I have a question regarding the ... uhm ... placement of the pads after they've been fitted. 

Right now I have the "thickest" part of the pads in the "back" of the phone, like I think the stocks are. With this tho, I find (or just imagine) that the front of the pads / my head has a bit of air between pad and head. 

That's why I'm wondering how you guys have your J-money-pads placed on the phones. Just curious, and cant find good pictures on how the original pads sits on the 7000s. 

Other than that, I love that the new pads takes out the bass-rumble that was very present with the stock pads. They also give me a slightly bigger soundstage, and makes my ears not hit the cloth grill thingie. 

I have the thickest part behind my ears, and they fit and seal perfectly.

May 12, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #86 of 91
You've installed them correctly, that is exactly how the stock pads fit.

Quote:

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #87 of 91
I just acquired a pair of D5000's and didn't care for the stock pads so I was looking into purchasing the Lawton angled pads and realized I had a spare set of LCD-2 pads lying around.  Threw them on the D5000 and works rather well.  

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #88 of 91

Quote:
I just acquired a pair of D5000's and didn't care for the stock pads so I was looking into purchasing the Lawton angled pads and realized I had a spare set of LCD-2 pads lying around.  Threw them on the D5000 and works rather well.  

That's good to know.

Aug 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #90 of 91
Does anyone know where to get a pair of those plastic retainer-rings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back