Mini-Review: JMoney replacement Leather Ear Pads for Denon D2000 D5000 D7000
Jun 9, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #61 of 91
I am interested in the J$ for one reason only...
To reduce or control the bass. I want the bass to not be so boomy, muddy, and overwhelming.

Otherwise the sound of the D5000 is remarkable and I don't want that changed. I don't want the mids increased, the highs decreased, etc.

So will I wind up getting a different sonic signature with the J$ pads... so much so that it will disappoint?

I also thought about the markl mod for these... would that do what I want (their website say's it will, but I'd like real-world testimony
wink_face.gif
 )

Whaddya think?

shane

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #62 of 91
Moderate. on the one hand I like the soundstage --- for some songs.

But the bass is reigned which is saddening, and the impact just isn't there...

GIve it two weeks....

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #63 of 91

Quote:
Moderate. on the one hand I like the soundstage --- for some songs. 
But the bass is reigned which is saddening, and the impact just isn't there... 
GIve it two weeks....

Whew....
No offense, and I'm glad you took the time to reply, but I've read this over and again and I'm not at all sure what you are trying to tell me.

shane

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #64 of 91
Shane, I have never heard the Denons so take this for what it's worth... I think a partial markl mod might suit you better. I keep reading that you can tighten up the bass quite a bit by modding them.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #65 of 91
i switched back to stock. i liked the soundstage on the J-Money, but it destroyed the bass. And destroyed the impact. 

Go big or go home. I need my Denon's straight-up I guess. The sound after switched (I had the same song queued up) is so immersive, colorful, and candy-like. Sweet to the ears bliss. I wouldn't mind having a second pair of headphones that does soundstage well (preferably open) though...

I agree with whoever said the J-Money takes away the impact and makes the sound "hollow".

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #67 of 91
Two (ok, three) questions (to get the thread going again)...
Can you still get the J$ pads for Denons, and from where/whom (Headroom is out)?  Never mind, I found the link...
Do they have that silly D shaped plastic stiffener in them like the regular pads (that's what hurts my ears)?

Thanks,
-HK sends

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #68 of 91
I don't really know why people trust some unknown companies that create  custom stuff for different equipment. I belive that engineers at Denon know what they are doing. I think that the distance from the ear to the speaker is one of the most important PARAMETERS in a headphone. Don't you think that this parameter was very careful chossen after many tests by people paid with a lot of experience? So why would someone could improve sound that easily. I bought the denon d7000 (sh) a few days ago. It already had the Jmoney earpads mounted and the person who sold me is going to deliver the stock earpads soon. At first i didn;t realize that the hps sounded incorrect but i soon realized the voices were too far away. I almost couldn't here Ozzy in some Black Sabbath songs. This can't be good and i blame it on the Jmoney. Also i don't feel that "legendary" bass people are talking about. Vivaldi sounds awsome though. I also don't belive in M Mods as they are made by unprofesionals. And my final statement: Think about this, the denon d7000 earpads are a little thicker then the one in D5000 BUT they have 11% stronger magnet!!!! so it makes sense to me, so you need probably a 40% stronger magnet for this 5 cm earpad. Please trust the profesionals and not people on the net who try to make easy money.

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #69 of 91

Quote:
I don't really know why people trust some unknown companies that create  custom stuff for different equipment. I belive that engineers at Denon know what they are doing. I think that the distance from the ear to the speaker is one of the most important PARAMETERS in a headphone. Don't you think that this parameter was very chossen after many tests by people paid with a lot of experience? So why would someone could improve sound that easily. I bought the denon d7000 (sh) a few days ago. It already had the Jmoney earpads mounted and the person who sold me is going to deliver the stock earpads soon. At first i didn;t realize that the hps sounded incorrect but i soon realized the voices were too far away. I almost couldn't here Ozzy in some Black Sabbath songs. This can't be good and i blame it on the Jmoney. Also i don't feel that "legendary" bass people are talking about. Vivaldi sounds awsome though. I also don't belive in M Mods as they are made by unprofesionals. And my final statement: Think about this, the denon d7000 earpads are a little thicker then the one in D5000 BUT they have 11% stronger magnet!!!! so it makes sense to me, so you need probably a 40% stronger magnet for this 5 cm earpad. Please trust the profesionals and not people on the net who try to make easy money.

That is a very good statement and I completely concur.
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 20, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #71 of 91
Mine is fully modded and is anything but hollow. Maybe by itself without the rest of the mod maybe, I dont know. If you want hollow try a ms1000. Thin and hollow. The la7000 with the j$ pads is rich and warm with tight bass and balanced highs. The person who came up with the thicker pads was mark lawton. He didnt do it to make money at first. He released the info free for the community to try before he ever went into business modding them professionally. J$ came along and allowed us to have a nice leather pad that is fully stitched and better looking than the stuffed stock pads. They are based off the original mod which a lot of people have enjoyed and like. Not just random people trying to take advantage of the community for profit. Also, while they may be used without a amp, they sound way better with a amp that can produce serious current. If you dont have that, you wont get the legendary bass. Maybe your source is thin and hollow.

Aug 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #72 of 91
Headphones enclosure are not cars to stuff dynamat to get better bass and sound. But is ok for you if you paid 2000$ for a 700$ pair of headphones with dynamat, some exotic cable, thicker earpads and some good looking wood. The 100 years of experience of Denon (celebratied this year) is nothing in comparison to some mods made by someone in his spare time. He's making 1300$ per headphone DEVELOPED by DENON. Somehow some cables, wood and dynamat is more expensive than the actual headhpone. But you are free to belive what you want.

Aug 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #73 of 91

the denon d7000 earpads are a little thicker then the one in D5000 BUT they have 11% stronger magnet!!!! so it makes sense to me, so you need probably a 40% stronger magnet for this 5 cm earpad.

Huh? As far as I've seen, the stock D7000 and D5000 earpads are identical. And since Denon didn't think the stronger magnet of the D7000 required different earpads, why would thicker earpads affect the D7000 differently than the D5000?

Aug 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #74 of 91

Quote:
Huh? As far as I've seen, the stock D7000 and D5000 earpads are identical. And since Denon didn't think the stronger magnet of the D7000 required different earpads, why would thicker earpads affect the D7000 differently than the D5000?

Maybe not but still the basic problems remain. Think of this. The difference in price between D7000 and LA7000 is the HD800 !!!!!!. People please come to your senses.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #75 of 91
Denon is in it to make money. They will cut corners to make a bigger profit. They may know ways of making there cans sound even better but it would cost to much to make it. They have a budget and price point that they are trying to keep the can in. They just cant put an extra 1000 worth of stuff, technology, time, labor, etc when they are shooting to release a 700-1000 can just because they know it will sound even better. Just talk to sony about there r10 as a price no object can that they ended up losing money with. Also he is not making 1300. If you supply the can, the mod is only 1000. 50ft of jenawire alone is 250 bucks. That isnt including the xlrs, dynamat, stuffing, woodcups, shipping to and from austrailia and then back to you. At best, he would be making 500 if I go low on all the rest of the junk not including time to do the mod and cable. I have also owned the hd800 and dont think those are worth there asking price. Before you say that it is not worth the extra 1000 or the hd800 is better, wouldnt it be smart to actually compare or at least hear a la7000 and a hd800 side by side. You are making a lot of assumptions about the la7000 for never hearing one. Troll perhaps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back