Minerva MI-3 Custom IEM, Review and thoughts.
May 6, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 33

Quote:
Spent quite a bit of time yesterday and this morning listening and comparing the Minerva's to my Ie8's.

The main difference for me with the bass response on both of these iems is that although the ie8 goes a bit deeper it does add an overall bass depth to the music(hope that makes sense!), whereas the Mi-3 present the bass in a more subtle manner, it goes deep but doesn't add the overall bassy feel the ie8 do.

An example of this I found was on the track Barbariasm begins at home by The Smiths from the Meat is Murder album. There is quite a lengthy bass solo towards the end of the song, with the Mi-3 the bass is deep and textured but doesn't overpower the cymbal and drum beat going on in the background, the ie8 bass sounds great as well, deep but not as textured or subtle as the Mi-3. The bass from the ie8 on this track does overpower the rest of the track, not in a way that spoils the track as I do love the sound from the ie8 but it isn't as detailed or subtle as the Mi-3.

One thing I will say about the Minerva's is that they don't add any colour to the music or seem to have a special sound signature, I still feel they sound similar in detail to the um3x but with a tad more depth and soundstage and to my ears the mids feel a bit more forward than the um3x(in a good way).

The IE8 has a very warm sound and the bass is enhanced.  You can get better deep bass response on the IE8 by setting the bass knob to max, which would make anything flat sound bass light in comparison.  On the other hand, I do know what you mean by the bass differences between a balanced armature and dynamic driver.  So, the question I would have about the Mi-3 is about bass roll off since you said it doesn't go as deep, or is it just because the IE8 bass is enhanced? Also, due to the human loudness curves you will perceive more deep bass from something with enhanced bass if the midrange volumes are set equal.

May 6, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #17 of 33
The bass on the Mi-3 to me doesn't roll off, best way I can explain it is that to my ears the ie8 adds a warmth to the music due to the bass, sort of engulfs the whole sound. Not a bad thing as I love the sound from my ie8 and still use them for bedtime listening. The Mi-3 on the other hand present the bass as full and textured with depth, more than I've heard in any non bass centred iem. By that I mean the ie8 and the Atrio's.
Hope that makes sense I'm not great at describing what I hear!

May 6, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 33
Yes, the IE8 is very warm and that warmth puts a veil across the spectrum, but as far as deep bass, it isn't the best performer unless you turn up the bass knob.  Most customs I have heard can pump out more bass than a universal BA IEM, and also it depends on how they are tuned.  For the most part (always exceptions, right?) BA bass is more detailed/textured with faster note decay vs. dynamic driver bass.

May 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #19 of 33
After reading your post I had a listen to a couple of tracks using both, and would tend to agree with your comment, the bass on the Mi-3 does seem to have a bit more detail and texture to the notes on the tracks I listened to, more subtle than on the ie8.

Aug 15, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #20 of 33
McColl, just wanted to say thanks for the review!

I bit the bullet on Friday with an order for the Mi-3.

I actually went out to visit their plant and they gave me a tour around. What an extremely impressive operation. Very very slick and most importantly very passionate about their products and hitting perfection.

I was most amazed at how flexible they were to any special requirements. Sure these things a custom made but I still expected them to have some set restrictions. They even gave me a choice of the new filters they are using (giving a slightly warmer sound and richer bass) or the 'analytical, true to life' option that they have used previously.

Can't wait to Get my hands on them!

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #21 of 33
Great review.  Could you offer further comments on isolation / bass depth & quantity, compared to the Shure 530.  I used to own the 530 and now 535, which although great, always leave me wanting more bass and better isolation....

I am contemplating selling a pair of new (boxed) SE535's to part pay for the Mi-3's.

Thanks,
GJC.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 33

Quote:
Great review.  Could you offer further comments on isolation / bass depth & quantity, compared to the Shure 530.  I used to own the 530 and now 535, which although great, always leave me wanting more bass and better isolation....

I am contemplating selling a pair of new (boxed) SE535's to part pay for the Mi-3's.

Thanks,
GJC.

Hi GJC

Sorry for the long wait for a reply, not been on here for a little while.

I owned the Shure 530's a while ago and I used to love the sound from them but found myself having fit issues with them.  For me after listening to MI-3's for a few months nowI would say that in some respects they remind me of the Shure's.
The MI-3's bass is similar, doesnt really stand out but is detailed and feels just right, more so when amped, I'm using the Just Audio u120 and it just adds a little more body to the bass than using without an amp.

Isolation wise the MI-3's win hands down for me, not had a pair of universals that match the isolation apart from maybe the Ety er4s.

Hope that helps.

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #23 of 33
A little update on these custom iems.

After 15 months of light use the cabling has started to split. Phoned Minerva and they are quoting £120 to replace the cable.
Not sure what to do now, seems expensive for a repair on iems that are only a few months over warranty. I've also had other iems for a lot longer that have not developed any problems with cabling.
Very annoying and frustrating to be honest.

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #24 of 33
Hmm.    That's unfortunate.  Was just going ahead to order a set but that's got me thinking.  Can you not quote the "reasonable use" excuse?  £400 for what 14 months use seems a bit excessive.

Not sure what to do now.

Good luck

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #25 of 33
Spoke to Lee today, who is the guy I dealt with when buying. 

Feeling a bit more poitive now, going to send them back and wait and see the outcome.

Wouldnt let my experience put others off, they are still a great ciem and hopefully my cable issue is a one off.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #26 of 33
Hi Mccol

Just been emailing with Lee about this issue, quick response times so a bit more at ease now.

Just noticed though, you have the sennheiser ie8 with tips.  How do the two (mi3-ie8/tips) compare in terms of comfort, ease of use to take in/out, isolation and long term use?

Thanks

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:
Hi Mccol

Just been emailing with Lee about this issue, quick response times so a bit more at ease now.

Just noticed though, you have the sennheiser ie8 with tips.  How do the two (mi3-ie8/tips) compare in terms of comfort, ease of use to take in/out, isolation and long term use?

Thanks

Hi
The senns with the acs tips probably a little quicker to insert but are not as comfy for a long listening session.  The isolation is also superior on the Minerva's.  Sound wise I prefer the detail of the Mi-3 over the Senns.  Dont get me wrong I love my Senns but the bass is just a little too much sometimes, and although the bass doesnt cut so deep on the Mi-3's it is accurate and the mids are alot sweeter on the Mi-3's.
One thing to remember is that I dont think ACS do the senn tips anymore although I might be wrong on this.

Out of the 2 I would choose the Mi-3 for overall comfort/isolation and SQ.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #29 of 33
Well just been into town to get impressions done.  Audiologist who I used (recognised me from the last two times I'd been in, which is a good sign in itself) spoke quite encouragingly about minerva even though they aren't a dealer for them (sadly, means I have to pay for impressions).  Had to have the left ear impression taken again as she wasn't sure on the first try and let me have both to send so they can make the judgement.

Going to get them in the post monday.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back