Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 3, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #3,301 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by kvant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>Of course, that would not have anything in common with this "starving student" project to be made out of junk-box parts any more. But then again, the PCBs, custom ordered pre-drilled enclosures etc. discussed here don't either.

Pete never implied the use of "junk" parts in the Starving Student. Inexpensive doesn't equate to "junk."

As for the recent refinements, typically a PCB opens a circuit design to many more people, having a bit of the "paint-by-number" aspect of putting together the circuit. That adds $10 to the cost in the case of the Starving Student. The real increase in complexity and cost comes in the case. However, that's less than $10 over the price of a $20 Hammond standard. There again, the purpose is to greatly simplify the skills required compared to a flexible, yet difficult decision and skills process involved in combining heat sink requirements with a free-choice case design.

The tradeoff for this little bit of extra expense (~$30) is greater ease of construction, allowing even more people than before to build one with minimal variances that could detract from the quality result. I don't think any of that is a divergence from Pete's original theme: a quality, affordable tube-hybrid headphone amp design meant to be easily achievable to the greatest number of possible builders.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #3,302 of 7,277
I built my SSMH from scratch and had at least 4 hours in it. That works out to $7.50/hour. My time is worth 10 times that.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #3,305 of 7,277
gurusan, I ordered 2 PCBs as well and plan to 'cleanup' both my P2P amps. In case you're not using the same custom beezar hammond mind if I ask how you plan to design your case around the pcb?

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #3,306 of 7,277
I'm just going to throw it in an aluminum project box I got off ebay awhile back...and see if I can fit a bantam or something in there as well.

img4377.jpg

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #3,308 of 7,277
Jun 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #3,311 of 7,277
Ha, I bought the same enclosure from ebay. I am using it for my p2p starving student build (using the 12SR7GT tubes) but I haven't taken the time to go to the neighbor's yet to use his drill press, so I havent wired everything up, because I'm waiting for the enclosure first.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #3,312 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... doublepost srry

I'll just use it for another question then:
SSMH Overview
With me most pages won't load, same with you guys. Anyone know when it'll be fixed?

Yeah, when I take a week off from work.
wink.gif

Seriously, that's my next priority. We'll all get to see how that works out.
wink.gif
Quote:

another question: I ordered the PCB 7pin osckets from beezat, I assume they will work just fine when using thel for P2P right?

Actually, no. The sockets Beezar sells are PCB tube sockets. P2P tube sockets are usually considered the type with lugs instead of pins, so that you can loop the wire around it and have it hold in place while you solder it.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want to revise your order. Then again, I could've already shipped it. Still, let me know and we'll work it out to your satisfaction.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #3,313 of 7,277
Got my order in today's mail... beautiful board!!! Thanks,

MODS if this post is NOT appropriate for this thread feel free to delete it.

Jun 4, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #3,314 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandbasser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my order in today's mail... beautiful board!!! Thanks,

MODS if this post is NOT appropriate for this thread feel free to delete it.

Thanks - and I'm sure Dsavitsk appreciates that as well.

Sorry I've scared most of you guys about my MOT status. You guys can still post anything, as long as it's civil.
wink.gif
I'm the one that can't respond with specific details that are business-related or can be construed as advertisements.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #3,315 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I am still trying to figure out is which heatsinks to use.

I highly recommend this one. A single sink does the trick for me
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back