Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
May 31, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #3,286 of 7,277
I have been out of the country for a few months and had not checked in for a long while. Just noticed that the SSHA kits were being offered. Is it too late to order one? Thank you!

Ajit

May 31, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #3,289 of 7,277
Just an FYI to everyone about the custom Beezar/Hammond cases:

1. I'm ordering 50 cases tomorrow. Hopefully, the 6wks will start ticking from that point, but I'll let you know for sure.
2. Based on sales this weekend (and other factors) 30 kits are all I'm going to do. Right now, there are 12 left. A few people ordered just the cases themselves, but we're still quite aways off from 50 cases.
3. There is no profit for the cases at the price they're at right now - this is essentially the same as a group buy.
4. However - since Hammond allows us to add to the order, you will still have the next two weeks (till Monday, June 15th) to place a pre-order for a case (or the case+kit) at the current price.

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #3,290 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That power supply looks close, but not identical to all the ones I've seen. There's no mention of amperage (0.38A on the genuine), so that throws a little more doubt into it, too. It may be OK, but I bet you can find one that's absolutely identical and has all the right numbers:

They sent me a PM and it's clearly 48V output and 0.38A. So that's ok. Though is the plug itself ok? (was that what you were doubting about?)
Here is the plug of the adapter:
Marktplaats - De plek om Nieuwe en Tweedehands spullen te kopen en verkopen

Thanks
Dries

EDIT: NEVER MIND, THE PLUG IS OK: 2.5/5.5 AS IT SCHOULD BE, SORRY FOR POSTING TO FAST
THANKS

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #3,291 of 7,277
hey tomb!

thanks for making the Millet SS available in pcb + tubes.... i've added all the caps i need, but i can't seem to find the resistors and transistors (q1 + 2) on your site? not there, or am i blind??

in any case, i'll still order - would be great to get em bundled with the pcb tho, as digi key and mouser charge $$ for shipping making that an uneconomical choice...

just thought since you offer full kits, maybe you have these available? if not yet, planning on doing so?

thanks!

joe

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #3,292 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by wankski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey tomb!

thanks for making the Millet SS available in pcb + tubes.... i've added all the caps i need, but i can't seem to find the resistors and transistors (q1 + 2) on your site? not there, or am i blind??

in any case, i'll still order - would be great to get em bundled with the pcb tho, as digi key and mouser charge $$ for shipping making that an uneconomical choice...

just thought since you offer full kits, maybe you have these available? if not yet, planning on doing so?

thanks!

joe

EDIT: We need to start asking these questions through PM's. Much of this is centered around the case, which we're treating as a Group Buy, figuratively and literally. However, some of the rest of this discussion is on the edge. Mods, please delete if necessary. Thanks.

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #3,294 of 7,277
Hi tomb - I've ordered one of these as well (didn't see this thread at first, just your site). Can't wait for it to come in!

Thanks for making an easy solution available for this - it'll be my first tube amp aside from a Dynaco Stereo 70 I tried (and failed, horribly) to repair.

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #3,296 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all

I replaced the c2 and c4 (539-150104K100AA
mouser) of the original BOM of pmillet by 2 of these: 598-WMF1P1K-F mouser
You think those will do?

Yes they should work fine... however personally I'd use parts from tomb's SSMH BOM as substitutes if you cannot find those obsolete parts.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #3,297 of 7,277
tomb, I just made an order for the tubes and board (but I ain't gonna use that) of your site. Very easy to order and I was surprised by the low delivery costs for shipment cost to europe. Class A purchase.

tubedepot asks 72 buck for 3 19J6 tubes!! (and shipment to belgium ofcourse)
I bought the board, tubes, and sockets for 32 dollars on beezar + shipment!!!

I don't know if I am allowed to tell this here, so plz delete if inappropriate.

Dries

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #3,298 of 7,277
You're allowed to post what you want, within reason. It's me as an MOT that has restrictions (like when someone posts, "How much?" and I answer.).
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #3,299 of 7,277
Is it possible to replace the mosfet stage with a gainclone to give it enough power to drive speakers? Sorry if its a silly question.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #3,300 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by stoned22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it possible to replace the mosfet stage with a gainclone to give it enough power to drive speakers?

Not directly, since the quiescent current through MOSFET is recycled as heater current for the tube. However, if you provide extra heater power supply, you can certainly hook-up a power opamp ("gainclone") after the tube. Such ideas can be seen at diyaudio.com; Pete Millett also has a project like that, although that one is not the least complex one.

But what is the purpose of an extra tube gain stage in front of the gainclone? The chip itself can deliver all the gain you need. As a matter of fact, at least some of these chips are not supposed to be used at unity gain (as the MOSFET is in the "starving student")... from LM3886 datasheet: "LM3886 is designed to be stable when operated at a closed-loop gain of 10 or greater". So you would have 10 x gain of the tube, I don't know if you need that much. On the other hand, the chip-amp probably performs best if driven from low impedance, so perhaps a cathode follower (instead of common cathode gain stage) would have some benefits. Of course, that would not have anything in common with this "starving student" project to be made out of junk-box parts any more. But then again, the PCBs, custom ordered pre-drilled enclosures etc. discussed here don't either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back