Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
May 27, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #3,257 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$112 I estimate from the BOM, though its possible and acceptable that there will be a handling and shipping fee or that the costs change between now and Friday.

The BOM is pretty clear. However, the kit price is slightly less than that.
wink.gif
There is another place where this is spelled out more clearly, but MOT rules prohibit me from being more specific.
wink.gif
Note that I've tried to include everything in the BOM but wire and solder - seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke
Tom,

I have a question... I understand the limit on 1 kit per customer, but can we order more then one PCB + Tube kit? I want to get one for myself. A co-worker wants an amp too, but I doubt he is going to build it himself. Will you be letting us order more then one PCB + tube kits?

Also, do the "full" kits, that include the machined case, ship with the case now? Or will those cases also be a 6 week lead time? I don't mind the lead time, but I'll get one of the big kits if it means I can get the case sooner.

Thanks for putting all this together. I really like how the project has turned out.

The full kit includes everything on that most recently referenced BOM - including the case and the custom machining. The lead time is 6 weeks from the time I order from Hammond, period. You can order as many cases and as many PCB's as you want. However, only the kit+case's come with tubes and those are one per person, period.

Here's the deal:

In the interests of being a "Starving Student" and the very appropriate beginner's attraction to this project, we all felt that a pre-punched, machined case would be ideal - populate the board, screw the connectors into the endplate, solder some wire and you're done. Nothing more than a soldering iron, a wrench and a screwdriver.

However, there's a price for that and it comes three ways:
1) The price of machining,
2) The price of waiting for 6 weeks lead time for the mfg run, and
3) The up-front price of making a volume mfg run to keep #1 low.
OK, so we found out that the price of machining is incredibly cheap in this instance. Yay!! Unfortunately, there's still the 6 weeks and the volume required: at least 50 to 100 cases.

So, how to do this?

Imagine this scenario: someone decides they want the case, but they'll have to wait 6 weeks. In the meantime, there's many of you that just want PCB's and some want the case and PCB. However, the one scarcity in this whole mix are the tubes. If someone invests over $100 for the case+kit and is willing to wait 6 weeks, then by G*d, I'm going to do everything in my power to ensure they have everything they need to build it when those cases come. That means TUBES.

That's why we structured it the way we did ... for the time being. Also, one reason I need to have weekend time to monitor the progress is to alter the offerings if we hit 30 (or however many power supplies I end up with), or if we hit 50, 100 and then stop, or whatever ...

Finally, there is no case that will be available before 6 weeks from the time I order. I'd love nothing more than to have 100 of the kit+case's pre-sold before the weekend is out. If so, I'll order the first thing Monday morning and the 6 wk lead time will start ticking. Most likely, I'll order 100 even if we hit somewhere over 50 by the end of the weekend. However, you never know ... a dozen vocal posters on a forum thread is still just a dozen.

Note also that Hammond requires payment up front, not when the cases are ready to ship. One of the additional questions I asked of Hammond was when is the drop dead date that we can add to the numbers after an order has been made? You see, it's an involved process: shop drawing reviews, a single prototype run for final approval, etc. There may be quite awhile that we can continue to revise the order # while keeping the 6 week lead time ticking off.

So, all of this is in the mix. It's enough that we could keep discussing the options for another month or two. Or, it was time to make a decision and go forward before we burned the summer up.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #3,258 of 7,277
Thanks for the replies Doug and Tom
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope I didn't sound like I was trying to be greedy. I do understand your goals, and I agree with them. I was ordering the kit for myself because I like the look of the final product. You're right though that is a great early build, so maybe I'll pass on the "kit". I definitely want a machined case. Casework is always the most difficult part for me. There are two reasons I'm interested in the tubes. First, they are growing scarce. I'm with you in the hope that more will turn up, and that certainly appears to be the case. It seems like the tube dealers keep running out and then, a couple weeks later, they have more. The second, and much more important, reason I was interested in tubes from Beezar is the matching service. Will I hear the difference? Maybe not, but never underestimate cognitive dissonance
wink.gif

Since I'm not worried at all about the power supplies, and only interested in the "matched" tubes, I'm willing to wait until Sunday or Monday to see how many orders Tom has received. If there are still plenty to be had, I'll place an order. I understand the reasoning behind limiting each person to 1 set of tubes. I respect that
smily_headphones1.gif

My friend that wants an amp has expressed an interest in building it himself, and I am definitely encouraging it. The worst case would be he asks me to do the soldering since I know he lacks tools, but I've offered to let him sit at my workbench and build it. I know he can assemble the kit in an evening with my guidance. I might make him build a cmoy first though
tongue.gif

Either way, I'll have him order his own parts/kit/pcb since he's still on the fence about what he wants hehe

Thanks again to Doug, Tom, Pete, and Nate. Without you guys none of us would have this fun project that yields a great sounding amp!

May 27, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #3,261 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the board dimensions? I need to see if I can squeeze it in somewhere
wink.gif

Last I checked they have the proto measuring at about 3.87" wide x 3.14" (98mm wide x 80mm).

May 28, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #3,263 of 7,277
I might be interested in 2 kits without the cases. May I know how much that will be?

May 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #3,264 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishcabible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be interested in 2 kits without the cases. May I know how much that will be?

Sorry, no. First, it would be against MOT rules for me to state a price. Second, we are not now going to offer kits w/o cases. That's because doing so would take tubes away from someone else who might be willing to invest and wait for the cases.

The PCB's will be on sale for immediate shipment, however. Also, the BOM lists everything you need. There is nothing to stop you from purchasing a PCB and ordering the components yourself, as with any other DIY project.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #3,267 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but not until 8PM tonight, EDT.
wink.gif

That's past my bedtime, but I might try to stay awake :)

Been lurking here for a while. Really impressed by the community spirit and looking forward to getting back into a bit of electronics DIY.

Thanks.

May 30, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #3,268 of 7,277
It appears that some of you are ordering directly from a product list. However, the detailed product description for the kit clearly states Priority Mail required. This is the minimum service that USPS will allow insurance for international shipments. That's why Priority Mail is a requirement for the kit. Please read the descriptions if you are able.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also remember that a 6 week lead time is in effect for the cases (and therefore, the kits), assuming we get enough to order them. If you haven't read the product description, that fact may be missed as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks and mods delete this post if it breaks the rules. I just thought it needed stating in the interests of everyone.

May 30, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #3,269 of 7,277
legend ! its live on the site now, and i was excited... until i saw shipping... almost half the value.

Not a crit, i totally see why. Also timing (6 weeks) is bad for me, since i am leaving the country for a few months.

I guess it is the case which is killing the shipping so bad.... If in the future u do put out kit incl tubes minus hammond case i'll probably bite...

GREAT deal if u're in the US. Applaud the effort. Trying to track down all those things mustn't be easy.

May 30, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #3,270 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by wankski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
legend ! its live on the site now, and i was excited... until i saw shipping... almost half the value.

Not a crit, i totally see why. Also timing (6 weeks) is bad for me, since i am leaving the country for a few months.

I guess it is the case which is killing the shipping so bad.... If in the future u do put out kit incl tubes minus hammond case i'll probably bite...

GREAT deal if u're in the US. Applaud the effort. Trying to track down all those things mustn't be easy.

The kit plus case plus power supply weighs approx. 2-1/4 lbs dripping wet (remember the heat sinks, too). The problem is that packing and boxing easily adds another 33%. That means it's closer to 3 lbs. If it's one ounce over 3lbs, then the US Post Office treats it as a 4 lbs charge. That's what is being calculated on Beezar.

It's true that Priority Mail shipping is high for international shipments, but that's the minimum service that the US Post Office will allow to be insured. Realize that many people won't fool with international shipments at all. I think it's reasonable to require a shipping service that allows insurance. On top of that, Beezar is providing the insurance - I'm not charging for that.

All that said, I may revise the listings sometime this weekend. We are in danger of not even getting requests for 30 cases, the absolute minimum needed to order from Hammond. I'm open to ideas that are still in the interests of fairness. The first thing I was thinking was to allow multiple orders per person and/or perhaps creating a "case+tubes+PCB" listing.

Comments are welcome - I'd hate to say we can't get cases and send out refunds.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. If the packed weight ends up being much less, I'll refund some shipping amounts if necessary. Those of you who participated in the MiniMAX case group buy know that I've done refunds before without an issue. The domestic shipping is only $6.50 - $12, depending on location, though. That's not much for 3-4 lbs. Priority Mail International has a built-in threshold, though, that's where most of the costs are - not in the poundage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back