Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
May 26, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #3,241 of 7,277
/e wonders how well Tom's site is gonna handle the flood of traffic Friday night
tongue.gif

May 26, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #3,242 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please note that 95% of these tubes were obtained through wholesalers that did not deprive anyone from onesie-twosie purchases. In fact, I had specific conversations with one vendor to make certain that he had a stock remaining for individual purchases after my volume buy.

Damn, you pre-emptively killed my joke about cornering the market on those toobses.
tongue.gif

May 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #3,243 of 7,277
Tom,

I have a question... I understand the limit on 1 kit per customer, but can we order more then one PCB + Tube kit? I want to get one for myself. A co-worker wants an amp too, but I doubt he is going to build it himself. Will you be letting us order more then one PCB + tube kits?

Also, do the "full" kits, that include the machined case, ship with the case now? Or will those cases also be a 6 week lead time? I don't mind the lead time, but I'll get one of the big kits if it means I can get the case sooner.

Thanks for putting all this together. I really like how the project has turned out.

May 26, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #3,244 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tom,

I have a question... I understand the limit on 1 kit per customer, but can we order more then one PCB + Tube kit?

I'll speak for Tom, and he can correct me later. The primary limit here is tubes. We can make as many PCBs as there is a market for. Same goes for cases and the power supplies are readily available on ebay, but Tom wants to make sure that people don't start hording the tubes. Further, being a DIY project, we are interested in allowing everyone who want to to build with tubes, and we are less interested in allowing people to have others build these amps for them. That is, the essence of the project is offering a safe and inexpensive way to put together a first tube amplifier. If one is simply interested in owning an inexpensive tube amp, there are lots of commercial and/or Millett Max-esque options.

At any rate, my gut still says that somewhere out there is a warehouse with 100,000 of these things in it. Hopefully someone will stumble upon it at some point.

May 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #3,245 of 7,277
Quote:

Friday, 5/29/2009 at 8:00PM EDST, the following will go live

Hang on, what's that in GMT London time? I can't find EDST at The World Clock – Time Zone Converter anywhere!

Then I could only find EST and EDT, not the combination! And it says on ET: Eastern Time (USA & Canada).* What is the time now in EST / EDT? that it's GMT -4 or GMT -5... argh!

Also, surely loadsa people on a Friday evening will miss out on this just because its a Friday evening. Better to do it on Thursday or even a Sunday? Friday evenings the worst time to catch people :p

May 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #3,247 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any chance we could put our names down for the full kit rather than waiting till friday?

Surely it would be much better and easier this way. It's still "first come first server", no?

Better for the following reasons:
1) People who can't make that time window will be stuck for a few weeks (months?)
2) Less server load, less chances of a server crash.
3) Other similarities: still first come first serve, you can still set a max stock level and then if anyone drops out, you'll know exactly who's next in the list making a lot more fairer.

Albeit, you'd need to collect Paypal and delivery address, but surely that's not difficult? i.e. exactly the same as a GB?

May 26, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #3,248 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hang on, what's that in GMT London time? I can't find EDST at The World Clock – Time Zone Converter anywhere!

Then I could only find EST and EDT, not the combination! And it says on ET: Eastern Time (USA & Canada). What is the time now in EST / EDT? that it's GMT -4 or GMT -5... argh!

Also, surely loadsa people on a Friday evening will miss out on this just because its a Friday evening. Better to do it on Thursday or even a Sunday? Friday evenings the worst time to catch people :p

I'm pretty sure he means EDT, which is GMT -4.

May 26, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #3,249 of 7,277
Yeah, I meant EDT. Seems like it was EDST when I was kid, but that was quite awhile ago.

As for changing days, no. I'm out of town until Thursday and that won't give time to set things up. Sunday would be the worst, because I wouldn't have time between that and Monday work to manage things as orders come in (assumimg they do).

I think this is plenty of notice,though, and it would be unfair to change it now.

P.S. This is kind've difficult on a BBerry, but from what read of Dsavitsk's post up there, I agree 100%. The idea is to see how many will want the case, but at the same time, ensure that as many that want one will get one plus tubes.

May 26, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #3,250 of 7,277
What people need to realize is that there is no conceivable way that Tom is going to please everyone so while you're welcome to disagree with the way that he chooses to do things you're also welcome to not participate. He's put forth an amazing amount of effort, much of which I'm sure seems thankless when the feedback given by folks around here is "couldn't you do it another way?". So everyone, please calm down, it's only a circuit board and some tubes and remember, no one is getting paid to do any of this. I know I've "volunteered" a couple hundred bucks to help this project along, can any of you outside Tom and Doug say the same?

May 26, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #3,251 of 7,277
Calm down? At the end of the day, it was really only a suggestion. Hardly a blasphemous head turner. Just because friday night's usually quite a busy period for many people... maybe you wouldn't understand that, in the same way I'm "seemingly thankless".

Back to the point, fingers crossed there'll some saturday morning
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #3,254 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calm down? At the end of the day, it was really only a suggestion. Hardly a blasphemous head turner. Just because friday night's usually quite a busy period for many people... maybe you wouldn't understand that, in the same way I'm "seemingly thankless".

Back to the point, fingers crossed there'll some saturday morning
smily_headphones1.gif

I think most, if not all get your point, but also do not think it was anything to worry about. Like many of us, he has his free time focused on the weekend. It was generous of him to donate his Friday night for a project he and a few others spearheaded for practically nothing in return. If you planned something for Friday night, you'll just have to find your tubes and possibly your power supply elsewhere (and it is actually not that hard). I am betting there will be some of everything left anyway. At the end of the day (literally), you'll just have to make time or DIY as that is kind of the point. If not, there is a one buy-it-now kit complete with everything on ebay literally every week and it takes a while to go even though its always priced very fair.

Meanwhile, your free to do the same as they have and arrange a project the way you think would be best. They aren't doing this as a business, but as a volunteer effort. As n_maher pointed out, he has helped out with the project by donating funds that may not see their way back to him (and even if, it will be without profit). With your last comment, your not only "seemingly thankless" to those who donated time and resources, you are being truly thankless. When your suggestions get turned down and possibly come off as disparaging to those in charge, the correct action is to thank them for considering it; not verbally attack them. I'm kind of upset about your passive aggressive comment aimed at Nate not being understanding, I know how much Nate time and knowledge he goes out of his way to offer for everyone here sometimes without any thank you.

May 26, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #3,255 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might have missed it somewhere, but is there a set price for full kit yet?

$112 I estimate from the BOM, though its possible and acceptable that there will be a handling and shipping fee or that the costs change between now and Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back