Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 5, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #3,331 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah they are, but I guess when making a whole for the tubes I can imagine that there won't be enough heatsink left to cool the mosfets properly

What hole for tubes, i was suggestint this hehind tubes ...

Just to follow a round tubes round shape ..

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #3,332 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
trying to mock up a rough case design and think I have a small problem. It looks like I only have less than 4mm between the top of the PCB and the top of the case.

The tube sockets on beezar look to be too thick to squeeze in between there.....

First of all very nice CAD drawings. As moodysteve mentioned in his post it's a real valuable tool to use.

Not sure if I understand the issue but you may still be able to mount the pcb at top by making the tube hole diameter larger than the sockets? If the sockets do stick out above the top lid perhaps you could just dress them up with tube 'rings' just like what tomb has in his SSMH build photos. Doing it this way you can avoid air-wiring the sockets.

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #3,333 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by komi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What hole for tubes, i was suggestint this hehind tubes ...

Just to follow a round tubes round shape ..

Ha yes, I understand. Though then I'd have to say I'd go with the previously mentioned more expensive heatsink. As I would (personal taste ofcourse
tongue.gif
) not choose these heatsinks (I think I just dislike the tought of the opening in the middle with just nothing).

Though if it were possible to mount the tubes in there, THEY WOULD BE AWESOME!!
biggrin.gif
. But yeah then the warmth dissipation capacity would be alot less.
To bad

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #3,334 of 7,277
My Starving Student has sit on my desk for 2 months because it didnt work p2p. I log onto headfi to find you guys are selling pcb boards!!!!! got the board in the mail and it is a solid piece of work, good job! Now i just need to finish my school work to convert my p2p to pcb.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #3,335 of 7,277
yeah reminds me to ask something to tomb. Dunno if it has asked before.
But can i use the parts of the VERY original pmillet design to work with the PCB board? I'm guessing it can't as I saw alot of other caps and extra ones on the BOM

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #3,337 of 7,277
I agree with Yaka. We think the latest version using the PCB is hands down the best sounding SSMH version. However, there are more pieces and better pieces. As many of you have noticed, that made the price go up. I'm convinced that the changes were worth it, having built both versions (in PCB form, anyway), but there's no reason you can't stick with the original.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #3,339 of 7,277
Quote:

Wouldn't trying to star ground it to the ground plug of a power supply (if it has one) even be better? As grounding would be optimal then, directly to ground.

First, thanks Tomb for answering my question.

Second, I assumed (and my meter seems to confirm) that the grounding pin connected to the three-pronged cord is not electrically connected to either + or - on the PS output. Am I missing something?

Thanks again, folks....

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #3,340 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by royewest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, thanks Tomb for answering my question.

Second, I assumed (and my meter seems to confirm) that the grounding pin connected to the three-pronged cord is not electrically connected to either + or - on the PS output. Am I missing something?

Thanks again, folks....

No, you're not missing something. That's why we've been saying that the power supply has a floating ground.

Jun 6, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #3,341 of 7,277
I did some googling about floating ground, but didn't find anything that I really understood.
Seems like a floating ground is insulated from a real ground and you shouldn't touch it.
But I don't understand the following, is a floating ground a 'ground' on a certain voltage above the normal ground? I read that when creating a floating ground on 5V, you can create a supply of 7V by using a 12V source with he 5V ground used as a normal ground (uch, I can't follow this myself).

If so, is the floating ground you mean here at 48V? As this is what the power supply gives.
And would you have an idea of what would happen when still connecting the normal ground of the amp to this floating ground? (If we take in account that the ground in the amp stays insulated from the chassis, else probably ***PZZZ***)

Dries

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #3,342 of 7,277
Quote:

I did some googling about floating ground, but didn't find anything that I really understood.
Seems like a floating ground is insulated from a real ground and you shouldn't touch it.
But I don't understand the following, is a floating ground a 'ground' on a certain voltage above the normal ground? I read that when creating a floating ground on 5V, you can create a supply of 7V by using a 12V source with he 5V ground used as a normal ground (uch, I can't follow this myself).

If so, is the floating ground you mean here at 48V? As this is what the power supply gives.
And would you have an idea of what would happen when still connecting the normal ground of the amp to this floating ground? (If we take in account that the ground in the amp stays insulated from the chassis, else probably ***PZZZ***)

Dries

What you've referenced is actually talking about floating the zero reference relative to creating a + or - voltage for analog signals.
wink.gif
All sound signals in audio electronics are sine waves, so the signal varies constantly between + and -. The speed at which that wave varies gives you the frequency - in our interests, the value between 20 - 20,000 Hz.

In the Starving Student, for instance, the supply voltage is set at 48V to the tubes, but the grid (signal ground) is referenced at 19V, i.e., the ground is "floated" to 19V. At the same time, the amplification factor of the 19J6 tube is 38 at 100V. We're running it at 48V, or essentially one-half the rated plate voltage. So, the amplification factor is probably around 19. This means the tube can swing a 1V signal to + or - 19V at the strongest musical peaks. With the reference (or floated ground) set at 19V, the voltage can supply a -19V (down to 0) or a +29V (48V) - but it actually only uses 19V on that high side, too. Actually, it will begin to clip on the low side of the wave, but that clipping will be delayed on the high side until that 29V is reached.

Anyway, this means the voltage at output is 19V (zero signal or "floated ground"), as soon as you turn it on and the tubes warm up. Hence, we have to use output coupling caps to block that DC voltage level from our headphones. That's a big digression, actually, but what was really being explained in your reference. They were looking at 5V as the reference ground, so that a +7 and -5 would be available to supply analog signals.

On the other hand, when we talk about the SSMH's power supply as having a floating ground, it's an intermittent error condition. The power supplies should always be referenced back to ground zero in the wall outlet. When you use a BantamDAC, it's referenced that way all the way through the PC back to the wall outlet. Same thing for most other power supplies - even ones that are not plugged into the ground at the wall outlet (they are isolated in that case). However, one would expect that the zero point of the supplied voltage would never change.

In the case of the SSMH's power supply, I've measured as much as 0.49VDC (1/2 volt) difference between the negative terminal on the Cisco's 2.5mm supply plug and the ground reference measured on a BantamDAC that's connected to a PC's ground. That's 0.49VDC that gets sent back through the BantamDAC's ground. The PCM chip is connected directly to ground in several places, but the output coupling caps in the BantamDAC only sit on the signal lines, not the ground. So, there is no protection from this offset that may potentially develop.

BTW, that amount of voltage reference difference is trivial to most circuits with output protection, output buffers, opamp buffers, etc., which most sources already have. However, the Alien and BantamDAC are special DIY configurations to obtain the "purest" sound from the DAC chips without any intervening circuitry. (A Swenson mod on a CD player may suffer the same vulnerability.) There's not an issue using an AlienDAC or BantamDAC with any other amp that I'm aware of - but there's not an issue with a power supply moving its zero reference around, either (unless all switching supplies operate this way). That's why the problem is unique with the Starving Student.

This may also be the same reason that several of us have measured offset on the RCA jacks upon power up with the SSMH. It's the Cisco power supply "moving around" the voltage supply relative to 0VDC ground. We thought perhaps it was a back emf (something in the circuit that was causing a reverse voltage for a time), but it's the power supply itself moving the zero voltage reference around.

I'm not the best in having theoretical insight to electronic circuits, so you guys correct me if I've stated something wrong.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:07 PM Post #3,343 of 7,277
Wow I completely understand the use of a floating ground now, but I'm still kinda in the dark with it's connection to the SSMH. Plz don't understand me wrong, you're explenation is excellent though I think it is mostly my lack of English that doesn't allow me to really fully understand it.
SO you are saying that the ground of the SSMH that's being used (the copper clad) is set at 19V(when the amp is turned on), and thus the powersupply offers a voltage of -19 to +29V. And the amp uses just the -19v to +19V. But if the ground of the amp is 19V, shouldn't it (copper clad) be isolated from the case? I don't really recall reading somewhere about it needing to be isolated.
OR are you meaning that the floating ground of the PSU (cisco) is 0.49VDC, thus different from the 19V ground in the amp --> and when connecting the amps ground to the cisco ground --> you lose the 19V signal of the amps ground as it flows to the PSU ground --> thus losing the wanted -19V and +19V(or +29V usable).

You guys must have studied enigineering...
I really got alot to learn.

Jun 6, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #3,344 of 7,277
Quote:

Wow I completely understand the use of a floating ground now, but I'm still kinda in the dark with it's connection to the SSMH. Plz don't understand me wrong, you're explenation is excellent though I think it is mostly my lack of English that doesn't allow me to really fully understand it.
SO you are saying that the ground of the SSMH that's being used (the copper clad) is set at 19V(when the amp is turned on), and thus the powersupply offers a voltage of -19 to +29V. And the amp uses just the -19v to +19V. But if the ground of the amp is 19V, shouldn't it (copper clad) be isolated from the case? I don't really recall reading somewhere about it needing to be isolated.

Yes, this is correct, but it doesn't have anything to do with the issue at hand. As for "isolation," none per se, but the output coupling caps are required - otherwise your headphones would see 19VDC, which will burn them out. That's also why you'll read a lot of references in this thread to never having your headphones plugged in until after the amp is powered up - the coupling caps take a few seconds to charge. Before that, they offer no protection whatsoever to that 19V. This is mitigated somewhat by the fact that the tubes don't come up either, so the 19V is not really there, either (but it is a definite voltage a little less than that). It's a race to see whether the tubes transmit that 19V first or whether the caps charge first.
wink.gif

Quote:

OR are you meaning that the floating ground of the PSU (cisco) is 0.49VDC, thus different from the 19V ground in the amp --> and when connecting the amps ground to the cisco ground --> you lose the 19V signal of the amps ground as it flows to the PSU ground --> thus losing the wanted -19V and +19V(or +29V usable).

No, this isn't it either. The 0.49 offset will be present everywhere there's a ground - it's just the ground will not be at zero. The 19V is an entirely different situation on the output of the amp and depends on the circuit design. Simple power supplies do not come supplying fixed + and - voltages (many do, but they're not simple or inexpensive), yet an audio amplifier needs to supply continuously variable + and - voltages to produce a music signal (AC). This is one of the ways to do that - by floating the signal ground in order to provide that + or - capability to produce a music signal sine wave.

The 0.49 offset has to do with an unreferenced earth ground. You can have this happen in commercial/industrial power systems and wiring, for instance, and it can be very dangerous.

Quote:

You guys must have studied enigineering...
I really got alot to learn.

Well, lots of Mechanical Engineering, anyway - that's my failing around here.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #3,345 of 7,277
Thank alot tomb that clarifies alot.
I'm glad I'm correct about the first part, that made me understand alot more about amps.
Is the floating point a similar method as the virtual ground in the cmoy, or is it practically the same/ completely different.
Still about the insulation (I found the term
tongue.gif
)... wouldn't the 19V ground get lost when connecting it to a real ground? But why does it not have to be insulated then?

Well, I think I'll be doing engineering myself when I go to uni. Though just one year left to go in high school. Atm I should be studying for latin exam this monday
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back