Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 7, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #3,361 of 7,277
Yes i understand what you mean and thanks for your help. I thought it'd be a good exeraice trying to implement the schematic into wiring and then correcting it by looking at the builds. I didn'T really mean about a wire going straight to the (sorry if i wasn'T clear). I think i pretty much found where i went wrong
tongue.gif
. (srry for not typing 'i's in caps... Stupid ipod keypad). EDIT: btw zkool, i made a little design about a wooden case for the amp. And I think it's kinda very based one of your amazing designs... I made a sketchup of it which i'll post tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure you would be ok with that or not, let me know. And I know I shouldn't be thinking about a case when i can't even read the schematic properly
biggrin.gif
... Aah well

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #3,362 of 7,277
OK - here's the deal on the custom Hammond cases:
The 6wk lead time has started today. That means that you will have two weeks to continue ordering cases - until 12 Midnight EDT, Monday, June 22. After that, I can't guarantee anything. That's because the number ordered from Hammond will be set.

I had hoped to get the clock ticking last week, but Hammond would not take a credit card. I had to send them a check, plus some tax exemption forms. I sent them out via certified mail last Tuesday as soon as I found out their requirements, but I guess this is how long it took Hammond to process everything.

In any event, cases should ship to me from Hammond 6 wks from today.

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #3,363 of 7,277
Tom, I'm guessing some pcbs have already reached their destinations, very busy builders already populating their boards. I can't wait to hear some impressions on here very soon
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llama16 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i made a little design about a wooden case for the amp. And I think it's kinda very based one of your amazing designs... I made a sketchup of it which i'll post tomorrow. Just wanted to make sure you would be ok with that or not, let me know.

Llama of course it's OK. truth is I’m constantly flattered when people complement my cases, makes me build more unconventional stuff. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery – thanks!

Looking forward to seeing your design
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #3,364 of 7,277
I thought so you wouldn't mind
biggrin.gif
. I think I'd even like to spread my own designs around instead of copyrighting them (unless they make me rich). Can't wait to see more of your designs coming. (Maybe this has been asked before, but after seeing some pictures of your builds my guess is that you work in 'woodconstruction' )

But plz don't expect to much, it's just a VERY simple design based on one of the key features of yours (the knob). I can do 'simple' woodwork and I don't really have the acces for alot of tools. So it's very plain. And I think satisfaction-per-difficulty ratio is pretty high
wink.gif

Here's a pic (btw, measurements aren't correct yet, It's a design to start from)

starvingstudentdries4p.jpg

another angle

starvingstudentdries3.jpg

EDIT: I'm not sure about the holes of the heatsink, if the wood I'll use wants to cooperate or not. Else I'll probably go with 1 big hole.

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #3,365 of 7,277
Well I received my PCBs today and they are coming along nicely. Got a heatsink coming tomorrow or the day after along with some new mosfets and then it should be all done and I can start thinking about how I am going to do the next build with my 2nd PCB
smily_headphones1.gif

The shaded area on the box is where the heatsink will go. I chose the one below....and it fits perfectly. It's 104.5mm in length and my enclosure is 106mm
smily_headphones1.gif
Will just require a little drilling to secure it to the case and the heatsinks to the case. I am more of a function over form kind of guy, but am hoping it will turn out looking good anyway.

42260689.jpg

img4390q.jpg
img4391.jpg

Jun 10, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #3,366 of 7,277
so, I was bored during lunch.. and I was looking through different tubes.

the 19EZ8 looks similar to the 19J6.. cept it's a triple triode.
It's available for a $1 from vacuumtubes.net

You think this could be used as a replacement?

If so, what changes would need to be done?

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #3,368 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so, I was bored during lunch.. and I was looking through different tubes.

the 19EZ8 looks similar to the 19J6.. cept it's a triple triode.
It's available for a $1 from vacuumtubes.net

You think this could be used as a replacement?

If so, what changes would need to be done?

I actually got a few to play around with. Like dsavitsk said, it would be tricky to use in the SSMH, it has a high mu and two of the triode sections have their cathodes tied to one end of the heater.

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #3,370 of 7,277
Quote:

Here's a pic (btw, measurements aren't correct yet, It's a design to start from)
EDIT: I'm not sure about the holes of the heatsink, if the wood I'll use wants to cooperate or not. Else I'll probably go with 1 big hole.

Llama, it's a fine-looking case design you have. My heat sinks and wood get along well – no heat issues for me. Just make sure the heat sinks you order are at least 2” or taller.

Woodworker? Unfortunately not, it’s only a hobby/stress reliever – I work in IT
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am more of a function over form kind of guy, but am hoping it will turn out looking good anyway.

gurusan, looking good!

Jun 10, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #3,371 of 7,277
For building one of these, can you find the parts at Radio Shack? Saving on shipping would sure increase the starving student factor. Excuse me if its a silly question, I'm a total noob at DIY audio.

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #3,372 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For building one of these, can you find the parts at Radio Shack? Saving on shipping would sure increase the starving student factor. Excuse me if its a silly question, I'm a total noob at DIY audio.

It is a bit silly.

SSMH Bill Of Materials

You might be able to find everything at radioshack.. but radioshack is expensive and low quality. It would probably cost more and perform worse

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #3,373 of 7,277
oh wow! what a great website I hadn't even seen that one. And I read through the CMOY website and he explained there the same thing about Radio Shack. Sorry!

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #3,374 of 7,277
Quote:

**cool stuff**

Very nice, looks good. I would love to do a wood case but don't have the space for the appropriate tools. Maybe when I move back to the states
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by zkool448 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gurusan, looking good!

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #3,375 of 7,277
Hey guys,

I am going through and making my own Build Of Materials, and I remember seeing an alternative BOM for this amp at one point in time.
I remember cause it has mouser rubber grommets on it.. and I think it had a specific orange LED that I wanted to copy.

anyone know where that is?
can't seem to find it..

EDIT: nevermind, found it
searching for "xls" did the trick =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back