Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
May 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #3,077 of 7,277
I'm working on my PTP version and realized early Sunday one terrrible thing: I'm so out of wire! WTH??? Even the little scraps left from other projects are just not going to be enough. GAH!!! Off to partsconnexion, I guess.

May 5, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #3,078 of 7,277
Haha, oh man that's funny
biggrin.gif

I got to the stage or stripping starquad.

How you doing Brian?

May 5, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #3,079 of 7,277
Pretty well. I'm trying to avoid visiting the rat for wire. Maybe I should join the subversive parts of society and start stealing copper from construction sites. I'm sure my SS would look all pimped out with 12 ga bare copper.

May 5, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #3,080 of 7,277
Hahaha yeah man, it's what any starving student would do if push comes to shove

May 5, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #3,081 of 7,277
Oh and tom, when do you think the kits and boards will be available for sale? I'm probably going to start my build after this week's final exams are over, and I'm debating between p2p and pcb. Plus I'd love to take a look at the BOM you are using

May 5, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #3,083 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On for 4 hours and the hottest part of the amp measures 37deg. C. (98.6deg.F.). That's right at the root of the heat sinks. The rest of the case measures no more than 33-34deg.C. (91 to 93 deg.F.) I think we have a winner.
wink.gif

Is your case between between your mosfets and heatsinks? I just have the fets directly on the sinks and they get seriously hot in 10-15min. Can't leave a finger on them but for a sec or two. (Yes, R3/9 right on the leg of fet pin 1) When I rebuild it I'm going for bigger sinks.

May 5, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #3,084 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamasic1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is your case between between your mosfets and heatsinks? I just have the fets directly on the sinks and they get seriously hot in 10-15min. Can't leave a finger on them but for a sec or two. (Yes, R3/9 right on the leg of fet pin 1) When I rebuild it I'm going for bigger sinks.

And what heat sinks are you using? These are seriously high heat rejectors - they're actually made for TO-3 power transistors. It's just that they're dang cheap as well, since they're not an extrusion - just bent sheet metal. Since the case is between the MOSFETs and the sinks, you get the added benefit of the case, too. There's no heat issue with the build as photographed - trust me. I've got MAXes and MiniMAXes that run hotter and have used them for a couple of years, now.

May 5, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #3,086 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurusan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought these things were rated for 120C or so? Mine are burning hot to the touch...about 55-60C, but I assumed they were well within the safe temp range?

Yes, you're correct. If they stay that way, they are well within safe temps.

May 6, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #3,087 of 7,277
Quote:

These are seriously high heat rejectors - they're actually made for TO-3 power transistors. <snip>
Since the case is between the MOSFETs and the sinks, you get the added benefit of the case, too.

If the heatsink is efficient enough, then theoretically the FETs can be mounted directly to the heatsink if you cut two small hole on top of case? (keep case panel/internals cool)
popcorn.gif

May 6, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #3,088 of 7,277
Quote:

Warmup is only ~10-20 seconds before you get sound and perhaps a half-hour to an hour for the best listening (less than that if the tubes are well broken-in).

Is that why I think it sounds better after its been on a while. More open?

Or are you referring to the first time its used?

May 6, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #3,089 of 7,277
Hey, I haven't been on head-fi on a while, but I picked up on this project yesterday -
This was my first P2P, and also my first tube project, so it was a big relief when nothing blew up. I haven't yet hooked up any audio, but the tubes are giving off a nice glow.

I'm a little worried about the capacitors though.
The aluminum case itself gets pretty hot because the heatsinks are cold-welded directly onto it. The capacitors were glued directly onto the case.
Would this be alright? The Muse KZ and pana PW's I think are both rated at 85 degrees

Users who are viewing this thread

Back