Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Mar 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #5,716 of 7,277
No I tried a source as well and still nothing... But I was using adapters for both the source and the output so those could very well be the problem... I'm going to look into it more tomorrow. But has anyone heard of this happening before?

Mar 10, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #5,717 of 7,277
It appears that my right channel is working now but it makes the driver move a lot and sounds almost like an electrical short... So I'm going to do some isolating and troubleshooting tomorrow and the left channel still isn't working, but the tube heats up so I guess I need to focus on the audio circuit and not the power circuit...

Mar 10, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #5,718 of 7,277
If you want us to help you, it would be a good idea to post tomorrow some pictures as well as voltage readings at the following points marked in red (for both channels obviously):

Mar 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #5,719 of 7,277
It works!!!!!!!! The solder let loose that connected a wire to pin 4 on the tube and the shorting sound was from the pins some of the excess solder on the tube sockets touching or coming close together so I re-soldered all the pins and taped them up.

Mar 12, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #5,721 of 7,277
Well I listened to it for a little bit and it sounded really good with my AKGs when I hooked it up to my PS2 for testing but I didn't get my RCA plugs in so I can't make any connector from my PC to it so I haven't done much listening yet. But it definitely drives my 600ohm headphones better than my PC lol.

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #5,722 of 7,277

Quote:
Just finished my first try at building it, but when I turn the amp on, it starts making a constant high-pitched noise, it comes from the amp, there's nothing plugged yet. Any ideas? 
I'll probably start from scratch some other day because it's a little messy with lots of cables. Is there any way I can check what's good and what's bad with a multimeter/tester? I also did a quick test to see if there was sound but there's nothing as I suspected, although when I turned it off, the headphones did make a static sound. I didn't do any more tests because I'm worried about that high-pitched sound.
Thanks. I can't upload pics right now sorry.

Hey guys, me again. After a second failure (oscillation again), I decided to change the whole case because the first one was very small. I was eager to start so I just used a Kodak cardboard case from my old camera, this way I could make the holes more easily.
Anyway, I've finally managed to make it work but I'm afraid I'll have to change the heatsinks, because they get really really hot in just a few seconds. This is a 17ew8 build and these are the heatsinks I have (they look a little smaller in reality): http://www.conrad.com/Cool+PIN-EL-CTX/409/50-50X45X12,7-MM.htm?websale7=conrad-int&pi=188041

Unless someone tells my it might be a problem with the build, I'll try to use some computer heatsinks I have around here tomorrow because I don't know if it's supposed to be this hot. (I could leave my hand in there but it was like scary hot.)

I don't know if it's important but the cisco adapter gets very hot too.

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #5,723 of 7,277
Good to hear you got your build working! Those heatsinks are a bit small indeed. But there's no need to go to computer heatsinks, unless you're going for the aesthetic effect as a couple of cool builds in the thread have demonstrated. The ones in my 17EW8 build are the same style as the ones you're currently using but are half an inch taller and have larger fins.

EDIT: I just read your comment about the CISCO adapter. What is the adapter's rated current output? It should be no less than 350ma.

cheers!

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #5,724 of 7,277
Thanks. I'm sorry but I don't know how to check that, I have a basic multimeter here though.
I don't know if this is normal but I'm checking the cisco and it gets hot by just being connected to the current (it's not connected to the amp right now). After around 4-5 minutes it starts getting hot by itself.

Mar 14, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #5,725 of 7,277
Check the label on the Cisco PSU, what does it say after output? The recommended Cisco PSU is 48 volt DC @ 0.38A (= 380mA).

You've got fairly small heatsinks, no wonder they get hot very quickly. These would have been a better choice: http://www.conrad.com/Heatsink-SK129%2f50.8STS.htm?websale7=conrad-int&pi=188018&ci=SHOP_AREA_27805_0205043

It's normal for the heatsinks to get hot (50-60°C), the mosfets can handle it, don't worry.

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #5,726 of 7,277
Ok thanks, the label says exactly that, I guess it's the right one. I'll replace the heatsinks, summer it's around the corner anyway and it gets extremely hot in this room, that's why I'm so worried. I'll post pics another day, but it's not that pretty.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #5,728 of 7,277
It looks like mine! It's really handy making the holes with this type of case. I like how you positioned the volume on the "O".

Mar 16, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #5,729 of 7,277
What could cause the right side to hum? Left is fine, but the right side starts humming in about 5 seconds after I turn on the amp. Volume doesn't affect it, changing tubes doesn't either. I think I still can hear the music playing very very low along with the hum. I remember this happened to me the first time (2-3 days ago), but I don't know how I solved it. It happens even if the RCA are not connected nor soldered.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #5,730 of 7,277
Most of the hum problems I remember seeing in the past posts were caused by a bad ground.  Some of the others may be able to help you more but I would start by checking all the grounds on the right channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back