Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 29, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #511 of 7,277
I remember an initial comparison of this amp with the SOHA said that the student MH seemed to lack bass. Has anyone else found this? I think this hp amp is very cool based on the small form factor and simplicity.

Jun 29, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #512 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember an initial comparison of this amp with the SOHA said that the student MH seemed to lack bass. Has anyone else found this? I think this hp amp is very cool based on the small form factor and simplicity.

That was me that said that, and It was due to the wrong size capacitors. After I found and fixed my mistake, all the bass was there. As long as you build it correct to the schematic, you will have a rocking amp with plenty of bass.

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #513 of 7,277

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #516 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oh, no, you didn't?!?

God save the tube supply.

A $60, one hour build? That should just about corner the low end amp market.

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #517 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, no, you didn't?!?

God save the tube supply.

A $60, one hour build? That should just about corner the low end amp market.

Actually, no - I didn't. Dsavitsk did (design the board) - with Pete and Nate's blessing. I'm hoping to be head cheerleader again, though.
tongue.gif

You're close with that estimate, though - it took me about 3 hours today, but I was making mistakes the whole time.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #518 of 7,277
You will always be the head cheerleader... oh, and I know you ran more than a couple of boards... :wink:

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #520 of 7,277
holland,

we're not adding anything to the design, this is a simple, basic amp and we're keeping it that way for now. If you want features and flexibility either PTP it and add whatever your heart desires or go with something more integrated like the MAX. The reason for this is simple - this is meant to be an introduction and seriously cheap to build, hence the name.
wink.gif

Also, right now there aren't any boards (only 4 were made) so folks are just going to have to be patient or PTP it.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #522 of 7,277
I am opposed to adding a simplified e12 to the Starving Student. Build a MAX if you want those kind of accessories on the board. There were literally hundreds of Millett Hybrids built without e12 circuits - without incident. It adds at least 10 parts that are totally unrelated and not common to any other part of the amp - and an extra $5. That may sound trivial, but it all adds up. The hassle of parts selection and constructing the e12 is a totally unrelated, complicated exercise. The relay itself would become the single most-expensive part on the board, too.

1000uf output caps are not necessary, either. There is a long history of the Millett with 470uf output caps and no complaints from lack of bass. Right now as the board stands, 1000uf 63V caps are impossible to fit, anyway. I've got 470uf 63V Panasonic FC caps and the bass almost rivals a full-blown MAX. I'm embarrassed to admit how good this thing sounds with 1/4W carbon-film resistors, four Pana FC caps, two stock Mouser Wima coupling film caps, and a Panasonic EVJ pot.

Simple is good.

Jun 30, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #523 of 7,277
OK - the whole issue of a delay-relay is a non-starter. (I think Pete said the same thing earlier.)

I've got a Fluke tied to the headphone jack with a 32ohm set of headphones connected into the jack. From power up, the biggest spike I've seen is 0.32VDC - most of the time, it's below 0.2VDC (inaudible). On cutoff, the biggest one I've seen is about 0.60VDC, but a relay-delay won't protect against that, anyway. In the end, both of those are trivial. As a matter of fact, the MAX with its relay will send out over 1VDC with high-impedance loads on cutoff. That's also trivial for a high-impedance phone.

I could hear nothing in the headphones on startup and just a tiny thump on shutdown. Bottom line, it's not an issue - I've got PIMETAs that make more of a pop on startup/shutdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back