Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 30, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #526 of 7,277
This looks wonderful and convenient and congrats to tomb - I hope you make a kit of this on beezer.com and introduce a new set of folks to this design - but to echo a few other folks, please don't forget that the original design and P-to-P is really not that challenging (shucks -- I built one!) and sounds fantastic.

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #527 of 7,277
Whoa... will there be a GB for this board? I'm about to start my Millett Max but it'd be nice to have something better than a cMoy at work =D

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #529 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

That is really awesome. Gimme gimme gimme.

Jun 30, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #530 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonjon0nline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa... will there be a GB for this board? I'm about to start my Millett Max but it'd be nice to have something better than a cMoy at work =D

There's still development work to be done, yet. There are a few tweaks* that I'm hoping Dsavitsk will incorporate. So, no promises for now.
wink.gif

Yes, along with everyone who's built a P2P version, we can absolutely confirm that it sounds better than a CMoy. That said, it would be pretty neat if Pete's design and Dsavitsk's board become as popular as the ubiquitous CMoy.
biggrin.gif

* As in layout changes, not additions.

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #532 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would put notices of limited liability and cap advisories in bold once you start selling these things. I know you said it was never a problem in the past, and I don't know your business arrangements. Just keep in mind, the USA is a litigious society.

Holland, please, I understand your concern but I think you're taking the point way too far. Implying that someone might sue over something like this is beyond my comprehension. All of these projects are "at your own risk".

The pcb is being offered as an alternate to the point to point to try and make the design more accessible. The intent of the pcb is to be exactly what the schematic shows (with one minor exception so far) and that's it. The main goal of the original project, and Pete can correct me if I'm wrong, was to offer an extremely inexpensive, simple build to try and entice new folks to DIY. Adding things like e12's and so on significantly increase the complexity.

Jun 30, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #533 of 7,277
Anyways, back to the discussion.... When will those pcbs be available? (Too late for me since I am going to forge ahead and do a PTP one as a project) That PCB would have saved a fair amount of time though!

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #534 of 7,277
I would guess that it'll be a good month or so still before the pcb's will be available. The development team (tomb, Dsavitsk, Pete, myself) are working on the prototypes and there's discussion of another round being done to tweak a few things. Note, I said tweak, no wholesale changes are expected. It is also undecided exactly how the boards will be distributed so until all of that is worked out I think we'll probably be pretty mum's the word about the whole thing. Think end of summer and you probably won't end up disappointed.
smily_headphones1.gif

All that said it's really not all that difficult to PTP it and the pcb doesn't save that much time. If you've built a CMoy you can build one of these PTP too without any trouble. If I can do it, you can.
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #538 of 7,277
Mostly for Pete, here are some more shots of my SSMH after I finished the chassis: Verathane on the wood and acrylic on the top plate.

The top is a 1-sided copper-clad board, 6" x 6".

Clearly I should have painted before assembling the top -- the paint turned out pretty sloppy, but perhaps it doesn't show so much in these photos, because I'm a worse photographer than I am a painter, if that's possible!

Jun 30, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #540 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All that said it's really not all that difficult to PTP it and the pcb doesn't save that much time. If you've built a CMoy you can build one of these PTP too without any trouble. If I can do it, you can.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, there is the trouble - I never could get that cmoy working... honest.

Sad, and yet, not really.

But since I already have all the darn parts, except the tubes and sockets, I guess I'll give it a shot. Finally a place to use that 48v 4a Piltron toroid...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back