Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 23, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #481 of 7,277
Thanks for the help! I'll see what I can do. Taking it apart shouldn't be too bad if I can get rid of the hum.

I didn't use the heatsink from the BOM since people were complaining about the pins.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #482 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkfury18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't use the heatsink from the BOM since people were complaining about the pins.

Well, then I would respectfully suggest that if you're going to use an alternate sink that you choose appropriately. Be a shame to get something built only to have it cook itself the first time you use it, trust me.
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #483 of 7,277
Hi there! My first post at head-fi.
I've been lurking for a while, and decided to build one of these. I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out.

Pictures are at
www.tc.umn.edu/~hern0163/millet1.jpg
www.tc.umn.edu/~hern0163/millet2.jpg

I didn't use the BOM heatsinks, either. I went with some 2.5" ones.
The chassis is from radioshack--$2.99. It's a tight fit, but it works. I forgot to take a picture of the insides last night, but perhaps today.
The whole thing worked out to about $60, including power supply, chassis, tubes, mouser stuff, etc. An excellent value, I think. Thanks Pete!

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #484 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by comrade_boris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there! My first post at head-fi.
I've been lurking for a while, and decided to build one of these. I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out.

It looks really really nice. I guess the usual first post greeting does not apply here...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #486 of 7,277
Basking in the glory of getting my cMoy working
smily_headphones1.gif
, my attention now turns to my second project - Millett "Starving Student". Have just bought the power supply on eBay.

(If any other UK DIY'ers are interested, the guy I bought the PSU off has 5 more available Buy-it-now for GBP3.99 plus 1.75 shipping withing the UK:

Cisco 34-1977-03 7960 7940 7912 VoIP Phone Power Supply on eBay, also, VoIP Internet Telephones, Networking, Computing (end time 23-Sep-08 16:00:13 BST)

)

Has anyone a UK source for the 19J6 valves (sorry, "toobs"
wink.gif
) and sockets? Or reliable overseas suppliers that will ship to the UK for sensible shipping costs?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Jun 25, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #487 of 7,277
If you orde them form ths us will you pm me, i'm in the uk too, would make sense to combine shipping.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #488 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiths /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Basking in the glory of getting my cMoy working
smily_headphones1.gif
, my attention now turns to my second project - Millett "Starving Student". Have just bought the power supply on eBay.

(If any other UK DIY'ers are interested, the guy I bought the PSU off has 5 more available Buy-it-now for GBP3.99 plus 1.75 shipping withing the UK:

Cisco 34-1977-03 7960 7940 7912 VoIP Phone Power Supply on eBay, also, VoIP Internet Telephones, Networking, Computing (end time 23-Sep-08 16:00:13 BST)

)

wink.gif
) and sockets? Or reliable overseas suppliers that will ship to the UK for sensible shipping costs?

Thanks in advance,

Keith

Let me know how this goes, i may be interested in buying some parts also.

Depends on the state of other projects as usual
rolleyes.gif

As a side note does anyone know an drop in replacment/alternative for the 16j9?

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #489 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by keiths /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Thanks in advance,

Keith

I think both Radio Daze and Welcome to TubeDepot.com! har reasonable shipping rates to europe. I have used tubedepot before.

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #490 of 7,277
Calling all Aussies:

I'm going to order this BOM from mouser. Shipping costs more than the parts but I'm doing it anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

It contains everything but valves, sockets, chassis and power supply.

If you want to get the same order, tell me and I'll re-mail it to you for the cost of parts, plus basic Australia Post. If you live in Melbourne, we could do prisoner exchange over a beer
smily_headphones1.gif

Note that I have specified 470μF electrolytics. If you want a different size (like 150μF) tell me.

ps.
Radio Daze and Radio Electric Supply both have 19J6 in stock and ship by USPS, so they're both good for Aussies. I recommend Radio Daze for their excellent service. Sorry I didn't think of group purchase sooner.

EDIT: Thread split to here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/aus...tudent-339003/

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #491 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarpy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calling all Aussies:

I'm going to order this BOM from mouser. Shipping costs more than the parts but I'm doing it anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

It contains everything but valves, sockets, chassis and power supply.

If you want to get the same order, tell me and I'll re-mail it to you for the cost of parts, plus basic Australia Post. If you live in Melbourne, we could do prisoner exchange over a beer
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi Jarpy, I'll jump on that order with you, I'll pm you.

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #495 of 7,277
Does anyone know the dimensions of the case that is used to build the mini millet? Or alternatively, how small should I make a case if I am building this for the first time and want it to be relatively small?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back