Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Feb 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #4,591 of 7,277
Everybody - please, I beg your patience. I've had some inquiries about shipping time which is not unexpected, I guess. As with last time, the most I can ship during the week is about 4-5 a day. Because of the tube sockets, I actually didn't start shipping until Tuesday. So far, more than a dozen kits have shipped, but I'm still behind. I'm usually able to catch up on the weekends, so please bear with me awhile longer.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #4,595 of 7,277
Not getting any resistance between the metal tab and the case, I take it that's a good thing?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Gorilla glue is not conductive, then maybe you'll be OK. Use your DMM to measure the resistance between the metal tab of the MOSFET and the case - see if you get near infinite resistance or near zero (very bad).

The caps look OK as you have them arranged in that list.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #4,596 of 7,277
NO. That is BAD. There should be a lot of resistance (infinite, or close to it) between the MOSFET tab (which carries voltage) and the case (which should be at ground). Hopefully you mean that you are not getting any conductance between the two? There should be no electrical connection between them. From what you've described earlier I don't think you are isolated properly. Use a Berquist pad, mica, something that's purpose-built for isolation.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #4,597 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by simwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it matter whether I go from left to right or vice versa?

Not terribly, but you probably want to set it up so that when the switch is off, you're at very high resistance (so that when the switch gets turned on, it doesn't start at the highest volume).

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #4,598 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not terribly, but you probably want to set it up so that when the switch is off, you're at very high resistance (so that when the switch gets turned on, it doesn't start at the highest volume).

Hopefully I've got it the right way round then!

It's all finished just waiting on the tubes arriving! LED's are working at least!

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #4,599 of 7,277
By, 'no resistance' I meant the meter was not picking up any signal whatsoever between the two prongs of the meter. By this, I'm led to believe there is no electrical connection between the two, therefore a good thing. (Right?)

I probably meant the wrong thing when I said, 'not getting any resistance'. When the meter's prongs are not touching (while measuring ohms), I get a flashing '0.00' to indicate no continuity, when I put one prong on the MOSFET's metal, and one on the case, the meter continues to read out the flashing '0.00' without any change. Sorry for any confusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO. That is BAD. There should be a lot of resistance (infinite, or close to it) between the MOSFET tab (which carries voltage) and the case (which should be at ground). Hopefully you mean that you are not getting any conductance between the two? There should be no electrical connection between them. From what you've described earlier I don't think you are isolated properly. Use a Berquist pad, mica, something that's purpose-built for isolation.

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #4,600 of 7,277
I'm not sure what your meter is saying or how it works, but......

If you just short the two meter probes together and you get the same flashing 0.00, then this is bad !!!!!

It means the tabs of the mosfets are directly shorted to the case.

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #4,603 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered the kit 2 days ago. So excited because it'll be my first project ever.

What's the recommended headphones' impedance for the SSMH? I'm thinking of using it with the AD2000 which is only 40ohm.

In my experience the amp handles both low and high impedance with aplomb. It has both voltage gain (for high impedance 'phones) due to the tube's high gain; and current gain (for low impedance 'phones) due to the power MOSFET output stage.

Also, according to Pete Millett's page on the amp it's output impedance is around 3 ohms, confirming it's quite adecuate for both kinds.

cheers!

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #4,604 of 7,277
got my kit from Beezar today!

too bad my right hand is in a cast for the next 8 weeks... won't be building it for a while...
frown.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #4,605 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevenigma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got my kit from Beezar today!

too bad my right hand is in a cast for the next 8 weeks... won't be building it for a while...
frown.gif

It's nice to hear that the kit arrived! I was hoping some people would've received theirs by now.

Sorry to hear about the cast, though - that's a bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back