Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp
Jun 17, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #436 of 7,277
It seems that some tube dealers are running low on 19J6 tubes.

I just talked with Radio Electric Supply (Vacuum Tubes Radio Tubes - 5,000 different tubes in stock - Over 10 million tubes!), one of my favorite tube dealers. They have a few hundred 19J6's in stock, and are getting more.

There appear to be plenty of them at wholesale suppliers, so even though the "usual sources" may run out, I think they will get more into stock. It historically is a very low demand tube.

Pete

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #437 of 7,277
I just finished building one of these. It sounds just delightful. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

I used a wooden 6"x6" "frame" box from an art store and a copper clad board for the top. I followed the photos of Pete's wallet box layout with little shame.

I would welcome advice on capacitors. Due to outages at Mouser last month when I ordered the parts I have 470uF 63V capacitors everywhere except C2 and C4, where I have 220uF caps. All Nichicon aluminum electrolytics.

Sorry for the poor photo -- I'm a poor photographer. When I dig out the cable for the camera I'll use that - in the mean time a cell phone camera shot.

Thanks sincerely to Pete and Nate for offering up this design and all the details around building it and for the kind advice and encouragement on this forum -- I have derived the greatest pleasure building this amp.

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #442 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont know if I can post it here but I thought it might help. I have all the mouser parts and the golden tube holders/rings already and I am opting out of this build right now so if anyone is interested PM me. All the mouser stuff is still in a box xD

If anyone else has assembled the BOM on this project and is looking to bail out, please let me know. I wouldn't mind building one of these for fun... its been about 15 years since I built my last amp!

Jun 18, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #445 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew jc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to beat a dead horse but no one intends to make a PCB for this project right? Thanks...

I believe the focus is on encouraging the P2P version for the time being, but who knows what the future may hold?
wink.gif

I second Pete's recommendation on using vacuumtubes.net (Radio Electric Supply). Roy and Dale are great guys to work with - very knowledgeable, too.

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #446 of 7,277
I'd really appreciate any advice folks can offer on capacitors - I think this question got buried in my last post:

I would welcome advice on capacitors. Due to outages at Mouser last month when I ordered the parts I have 470uF 63V capacitors everywhere except C2 and C4, where I have 220uF caps. All Nichicon aluminum electrolytics.

Thanks in advance.

__Roy

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #447 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by royewest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished building one of these. It sounds just delightful. I'm looking forward to spending more time with it.

Nice build, royewest. I spy some Bottlehead gear just behind it. THAT is the place that got me into this DIY mess!
Building is such a great adventure.
cool.gif

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #448 of 7,277
Quote:

Originally Posted by royewest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd really appreciate any advice folks can offer on capacitors - I think this question got buried in my last post:

Thanks in advance.

__Roy

They're not axial, which would make them easier to use in P2P, but some 0.1uf - 0.22uf Wima MKP10's would be ideal, I think. Mouser should have plenty and they don't cost too much.

Jun 19, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #449 of 7,277
Quote:

...some 0.1uf - 0.22uf Wima MKP10's would be ideal, I think

I had very good results with .22 uF MKP10s both for coupling and for bypassing the output electrolytics.
I also had very good results using .12 uF BC Components 416s (Digikey) in the same way.
I actually prefer the BC Components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back