1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp

First

Back
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Next

Last
  1. fierce_freak
    Thanks again holland. I have the feeling that the Starving Student would go well with cans like W5000, K701 (maybe I'd actually like them on this amp), and even the K1000.

2. Postal_Blue
    Just wanted to sound off again on the sound of this little amp. I am absolutely floored. This is such a sweet sounding amp. I would love to see it blind tested with some high end tube amps. As it has burned in a bit the inner details have really started to come through which was the only weakness at first listen. It is an incredible match with my 580's.

No amount of thanks is enough for Pete's contributions to DIY. If you are considering building this amp DO IT. I have < 45 dollars tied up in this project and I could not be happier.

3. holland

4. rds
    Postal_Blue

Are you using bypass caps? I think they're really worth an extra few bucks for more high range detail. Wima mkp or BC components/Vishay 416s are good choices. Personally I like the 416s more, though I'm not sure I can actually hear any difference.
    Also, if you do use bypass caps it's best to use the same kind you are using for coupling.

5. fierce_freak
    Postal_Blue:

Just for kicks, have you tried your IEM's with it?

6. pinkfloyd4ever
    Finally got mine done, and amazingly, no smoke, sparks, or explosions on turn-on, but it does sound pretty damn good. I'll get pics up here soon, tho it's not exactly pretty. Is it ok if the mosfets are too hot too touch? I mean the black plastic (or whatever it's made of) body, not the metal tab. I'm wondering if you're not supposed to tighten down the heatsink mounting screw as tight when using grease and thermafilm as you would using just a thermasil pad?

oh also, what's the gain of this amp? I'm sure it's been mentioned but I searched and couldn't find it

7. Gross
    Gain of 38.

8. kilgoretrout
    Radiodaze has a minimum order of $10, but the two tubes and the socket cost less than that. I've found the same tubes on some of the other sites mentioned in this thread but I couldn't find the same socket on any of them.

What other sockets can I use for this amp?

Also, what is the lifespan of the these tubes? Do you guys leave the amp on 24/7 or turn it on only during use?

9. pmillett Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Gain of 38.

That's the mu of the tube. The votage gain of the circuit is much lower owing to degeneration caused by the unbypassed cathode bias resistor.

I don't remember what the gain of the amp is - around 15, if I remember right.

Pete

10. procalli2007
    I have going to be using this as my first tube amp. Just waiting on farnell.

My second project will be an original millet hybrid and I have received the tubes for it along with a set for this. Problem is I cant seem to find any pcbs. How easy would it be for me to make my own given that the pcb of the original millet had 3 layers?

Also would it sound better if this amp was made using a pcb?

thanks

11. jarpy
    RadioDaze are currently out of 19J6s. Damn.

I guess the folks in this thread cleaned 'em out [​IMG]

12. rds
  13. tomb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by procalli2007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I have going to be using this as my first tube amp. Just waiting on farnell.

My second project will be an original millet hybrid and I have received the tubes for it along with a set for this. Problem is I cant seem to find any pcbs. How easy would it be for me to make my own given that the pcb of the original millet had 3 layers?

Also would it sound better if this amp was made using a pcb?

thanks

To my knowledge, the original Millett Hybrid PCB's are no longer available. They were sold for a time at DIYCable.com, then at Euphonia Audio, I believe, but are not at either place anymore (not sure Euphonia is around anymore, period). However, Pete Millett has Gerber files, top, and bottom TIFF images of the original board here: Low-voltage Hybrid headphone amp

The second version Millett Hybrid, the revMH Millett Hybrid by Drew Dunn and Nate Maher, also has Gerbers available at DIYForums.org here:
    http://www.diyforums.org/hybrid8a.zip. However, there are some errors on that board. You need to refer to the Forums section for details on fixing those if you have a board made.

Of course, Colin Toole's version of the Millett MAX is available anytime at beezar.com welcome page with complete building details at The Millett Hybrid MAXed

Pete's great work continues to multiply.[​IMG][​IMG]

14. jarpy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    $5 +$7 (shipping) cisco 34-1977-03:
    Cisco Aironet 48V .38A Power Supply ADP-18PB/34-1977-03 - eBay (item 200227806395 end time Jun-28-08 07:53:51 PDT)

As for the 19j6 - look for old tv/radio repair shops in your local area. Most places have a small quantity of these that they'll sell for a few dollars each.
    Also, Radiodaze is going to source some more.

Thanks rds. Unfortunately that power supply only ships to the United States, but I'm sure I can find/build something if I'm patient.

Good call on the valves, I can already think of a shop in my area I should ask.

15. dsavitsk
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    not sure Euphonia is around anymore, period)

Alive and well. I just got some parts form them a few weeks ago.

Euphonia Audio Index

First

Back
18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Next

Last