1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Millett "Starving Student" hybrid amp

First

Back
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last
  1. procalli2007
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    To my knowledge, the original Millett Hybrid PCB's are no longer available. They were sold for a time at DIYCable.com, then at Euphonia Audio, I believe, but are not at either place anymore (not sure Euphonia is around anymore, period). However, Pete Millett has Gerber files, top, and bottom TIFF images of the original board here: Low-voltage Hybrid headphone amp

The second version Millett Hybrid, the revMH Millett Hybrid by Drew Dunn and Nate Maher, also has Gerbers available at DIYForums.org here:
    http://www.diyforums.org/hybrid8a.zip. However, there are some errors on that board. You need to refer to the Forums section for details on fixing those if you have a board made.

Of course, Colin Toole's version of the Millett MAX is available anytime at beezar.com welcome page with complete building details at The Millett Hybrid MAXed

Pete's great work continues to multiply.[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for that. To make a pcb for the millet hybrid would is it possible to make two boards and glue them back to back as Ive never made a pcb before?

I have tried to get to beezar.com but it times out? Are they still in business and would I be able to use my 12AE6?

Thanks for your help.

edit: after reading the site above about the max I see it can be used with the tubes I already bought for the hybrid. Also if I read the details correctly it has the power supply built in which makes it a lot easier than the millet hybrid.

Any other way of getting a pcb as whatever I try the site is timing out.

2. m0b1liz3
    With the starving student amp a few people have commented the low bass is a little weak. Would it be possible to add a bass extender/bass boost to the circuit? Will this just end up adding more distortion?

3. Snicewicz
    I dont know if I can post it here but I thought it might help. I have all the mouser parts and the golden tube holders/rings already and I am opting out of this build right now so if anyone is interested PM me. All the mouser stuff is still in a box xD

Going to just build a max and a Mini^3. Im not starving any more, schools out its summer :p

4. rds
    ^ That's pretty cool. I think it was M0n1liz3 who was having problems getting stuff to Australia.
    Maybe try to send it to someone overseas, cause they really pay through the nose for this stuff in shipping.

5. tomb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by procalli2007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Thanks for that. To make a pcb for the millet hybrid would is it possible to make two boards and glue them back to back as Ive never made a pcb before?

I have tried to get to beezar.com but it times out? Are they still in business and would I be able to use my 12AE6?

Thanks for your help.

edit: after reading the site above about the max I see it can be used with the tubes I already bought for the hybrid. Also if I read the details correctly it has the power supply built in which makes it a lot easier than the millet hybrid.

Any other way of getting a pcb as whatever I try the site is timing out.

I am not aware of any issues with the Beezar.com website. I am filling orders as we speak. I also checked the web stats and nothing appears amiss. That said, the traffic is well within the parameters of my service's contract. I hesitate to suggest that it's on your end, but if anyone else notices an issue with connectivity to beezar, please let me know.

6. bperboy
    Quote:

I am not aware of any issues with the Beezar.com website. I am filling orders as we speak. I also checked the web stats and nothing appears amiss. That said, the traffic is well within the parameters of my service's contract. I hesitate to suggest that it's on your end, but if anyone else notices an issue with connectivity to beezar, please let me know.

I can access Beezar.com.. maybe make sure the address is typed correctly?

7. procalli2007
    Tried a few times but it just times out.
    im on aol in the UK.

I remember trying a while ago and getting the same result. What would be the cost + shipping of the pcb to the uk.

maybe Ill try and see if I can use a proxy.

8. tomb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by procalli2007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Tried a few times but it just times out.
    im on aol in the UK.

I remember trying a while ago and getting the same result. What would be the cost + shipping of the pcb to the uk.

maybe Ill try and see if I can use a proxy.

I've had a number of customers in the UK. I suspect it's your AOL and perhaps a dial-up line that's to blame. Beezar is based on the open-source e-commerce software known as "oscommerce." It's in use worldwide on probably thousands of web-based stores.

Try this direct and specific link and see if it works better for you:

Beezar.com

9. procalli2007
    Quote:

I've had a number of customers in the UK. I suspect it's your AOL and perhaps a dial-up line that's to blame. Beezar is based on the open-source e-commerce software known as "oscommerce." It's in use worldwide on probably thousands of web-based stores.

Try this direct and specific link and see if it works better for you:

Beezar.com

Tried through a proxy and it worked but wouldnt want to purchase through it. Do you supply all parts for the max and what would you estimate shipping for the pcb would be?

edit: finally sorted it out. problem is I have to connect to the site through the aol software (which is rubbish).

10. kilgoretrout
    I'd like to fully enclose the tubes inside the case for safe transport. What should the dimensions of the case be so I can successfully do this?

Since I know nothing about tubes, could someone kindly refer me to the correct tube socket available on TubeDeport?
    Tube Sockets

11. tomb
    Dimensions for a 19J6 tube can be found in the datasheet here: 19J6.

For your convenience, though, here's the drawing:
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure TubeDepot has a good selection for a lugged, 7-pin miniature ceramic tube socket. It looks like the only one they sell has all that shield junk on it. 'Course, if you're going to hide them inside a case it won't make much difference. Nevertheless, Ebay or Cascade Surplus Electronics is probably a better choice, I think:
    7-pin Ceramic Mini Tube Socket - Qty 7 - eBay (item 330244042520 end time Jun-19-08 15:05:11 PDT)

12. Snicewicz
    For anyone inquiring I am giving my parts away already to a fellow head-fier in Italy.

Thanks for all the interest.

13. bhjazz Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by m0b1liz3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    With the starving student amp a few people have commented the low bass is a little weak. Would it be possible to add a bass extender/bass boost to the circuit? Will this just end up adding more distortion?

It might be easier to explore using larger output caps. You are right in thinking that a circuit like that would add distortion. I think it would. But keep in mind the beauty of this circuit: simple, effective, and very inexpensive to build. Mine is not done yet, but for the money it seems like it's going to be hard to beat. There are always a few tradeoffs! But the tradeoffs could be headphone/system/cable specific.

Stay tuned! [​IMG]

14. holland

15. Uncle Bob
    Quite fancy building one of these but 19J6's seem to be in short supply at the moment. Anyone know where I can find them? Or if there's any alternatives?

thanks

First

Back
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39
Next

Last