MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jun 22, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #76 of 2,609
The MZ2 has plenty of power with the HE1000. I routinely have 1/3 more travel in the volume and if I turn it up towards max, I could use headphones as speakers. Plenty of headroom. 

I leave the plexiglass off. Easier to change out tubes and it runs a little cooler though as I look at the case, it is vented all underneath and back and side so there is plenty of air flow. I have some adapters coming so I can use some VT99 tubes, equivalent to the 6SN7 but in a coke bottle shape with the grid cap. I have 4 varieties, all from the 1940's, round plate, flat and 2 other types. Back to using the 1952 Sylvania 6SN7's and Sylvania GB gold pin 6201. Great separation and more 3D. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #79 of 2,609
I leave the plexiglass off. Easier to change out tubes and it runs a little cooler though as I look at the case, it is vented all underneath and back and side so there is plenty of air flow. I have some adapters coming so I can use some VT99 tubes, equivalent to the 6SN7 but in a coke bottle shape with the grid cap. I have 4 varieties, all from the 1940's, round plate, flat and 2 other types

Happy to hear that we can use Jan VT99/6F8G's may be Tungsol , KenRad, National Union (black glass) coke bottle .   Cheaper but as good as 6SN7's
     Please report your findings as well as the result of those Sylvania's

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #80 of 2,609
  I leave the plexiglass off. Easier to change out tubes and it runs a little cooler though as I look at the case, it is vented all underneath and back and side so there is plenty of air flow. I have some adapters coming so I can use some VT99 tubes, equivalent to the 6SN7 but in a coke bottle shape with the grid cap. I have 4 varieties, all from the 1940's, round plate, flat and 2 other types

Happy to hear that we can use Jan VT99/6F8G's may be Tungsol , KenRad, National Union (black glass) coke bottle .   Cheaper but as good as 6SN7's
     Please report your findings as well as the result of those Sylvania's

They aren't cheaper any longer. They used to be a great buy. Now, too expensive. In general they aren't really better than a good 6SN7 and often a good 6SN7 can now be bought for less money. They look cool though. :^)

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #81 of 2,609
They aren't cheaper any longer. They used to be a great buy. Now, too expensive. In general they aren't really better than a good 6SN7
and often a good 6SN7 can now be bought for less money. They look cool though. :^)

Sad to hear that.  Things has changed rapidly.
    I am fortunate as I had purchased some of those after I followed the thread 6SN7 here.  Stavros recommended about Jan VT99/6F8G Tungsol coke
bottle, black glass which I think close to Tungsol BGRP but may be half the price.   The price of Tungsol 6SU7GTY has gone up too. This one is also
very good but may not be compatible with Microzotl2

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #82 of 2,609
  They aren't cheaper any longer. They used to be a great buy. Now, too expensive. In general they aren't really better than a good 6SN7
and often a good 6SN7 can now be bought for less money. They look cool though. :^)

Sad to hear that.  Things has changed rapidly.
    I am fortunate as I had purchased some of those after I followed the thread 6SN7 here.  Stavros recommended about Jan VT99/6F8G Tungsol coke
bottle, black glass which I think close to Tungsol BGRP but may be half the price.   The price of Tungsol 6SU7GTY has gone up too. This one is also
very good but may not be compatible with Microzotl2

No, the 6SU7 is a Tung-sol black glass 6SL7 most of the time with very closely matched triode sections. I have a box full of these in NOS, maybe 25 pairs or so. Yep, a great tube and I used to use it in a nice amp so I got them when they were a very good price. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #83 of 2,609
I talked with Mark today and he did indicate he would consider creating a replacement plexiglass top with cutouts above the tubes so larger tubes such as the CV181 could be used with the top on to avoid the risk of using it with the top remove, if there was enough femand. He did not mention the price though.

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #84 of 2,609
I talked with Mark today and he did indicate he would consider creating a replacement plexiglass top with cutouts above the tubes so larger tubes such as the CV181 could be used with the top on to avoid the risk of using it with the top remove, if there was enough femand. He did not mention the price though.

So it means that we can use CV181, I don't think it is direct replacement for 6SN7's. That's good news with the replacement plexiglass top .
Please make the replacement top that we can use the VT99 with the adapters too.

How's about the CV2821, can we use these tubes too?  and we don't need the replacement top for this one

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #85 of 2,609

So it means that we can use CV181, I don't think it is direct replacement for 6SN7's. That's good news with the replacement plexiglass top .
Please make the replacement top that we can use the VT99 with the adapters too.

How's about the CV2821, can we use these tubes too?  and we don't need the replacement top for this one

Mark didn't really talked about what tubes worked or didn't as his comment was try it the way it is before starting to tube roll.  I just was asking about a different top as if I went down this path, I have a couple pairs of the Treasure Black Glass from Grant Fideiity and I don't want to try them without the top on the unit.

Jun 24, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #86 of 2,609
I got some CV4024, a 12AT7. Excellent sound. Extremely natural and seems to put all the notes in the right place. Male and female voice is portrayed very well. Slightly warmer sounding compared to the Sylvania Gold Brand gold pin but not tube warm, just very full and transparent so the slightly warmer sound doesn't mask this. 

edit: I just put in some Tung-sol tall glass slanted plates, 6SN7GTB. In this setup it is excellent. A little more distance from the sound and the imaging is excellent with a wide soundstage and good layering with space between everything. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #87 of 2,609
Running some nice CV4024 to  VT99/6F8G now. Very nice. Very 3D. 

Listening to some Vivaldi, 4 Seasons, Cho-Liang Lin, which I have heard too many times but frankly it is so good with this combo I can't stop listening. DSD to the Hugo, Micro to the HE1000. What a combination. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #89 of 2,609
Jim McShane is very good and honest. He just got in a bunch of the CV4024/12AT7 and you can be sure he is selling you the real thing.  VT99, man those have gotten expensive. You also need the adapter. I bought mine from HK and it is superb quality. I couldn't have done better (I am surprised how exceptionally well done it is). 

Oh, the sound, wow. Really, I wish I could share my phones and sound with someone so they could just enjoy and believe how good this sound is. So fast, so transparent, so 3D. Guitar, which I used to play (acoustical), has that hollow body sound that comes through and gives it a reality of really being an instrument being playing. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #90 of 2,609
Perhaps someone had  already listen the he 6 with the microzotl ? i am curious because he 6 are affordable, he 1000 is too costly for me ...
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back