MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jun 26, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #106 of 2,609
What I read about the HE-6, many use speaker annoys to drive it. Also have the 560, but, tbh, have trouble listening to it after listening to the 1k, the few times I've even tried, u put the 1k back on quickly. Really liked the 560 before that, mind you, but it's really easy to get spoiled!

you spoiled doctorjazz?  are you definitely getting the HE1K?
ps you deserve it! 

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #107 of 2,609
What I read about the HE-6, many use speaker annoys to drive it. Also have the 560, but, tbh, have trouble listening to it after listening to the 1k, the few times I've even tried, u put the 1k back on quickly. Really liked the 560 before that, mind you, but it's really easy to get spoiled!

you spoiled doctorjazz?  are you definitely getting the HE1K?
ps you deserve it! 

Have to say, the only thing better about the 560 is, for me, it's more comfortable. I had to put a wrap around the head band of the HEK (was suggested on one of these HEK threads), spreads the pressure across my bald noggin and helps (the pressure and discomfort is right at the top of my small, smooth head, and is worse the smaller I make the band. Much better wrapped, though. Add some cheese and salsa, makes a nice sandwich :smiley: ) . But, have to say, almost everything I listen to sounds a bit muddy since I got these. Put them on my wife's ears, put on Ella and Louis for her, even she was wowed (and she's heard some good gear-mine, of course-over the years, usually doesn't particularly care a whole lot. She was stunned by the clarity and realism of these. So, long winded answer, they'll be my birthday present to myself (someone has to do it), with the ZOTL driving them. Definitely miss them on vacation. Using Beyer 1350, FAD Heaven V, Pono, other iems, good gear, all ruined for me, sad...:sob:

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #108 of 2,609
Back to using the Tung-Sol black glass round plate 6SN7. Excellent depth with the HE1000 and spot on imaging. The input tubes are the CV4024.  Listening to Mighty Sam McClain on DSD Blues Masters from Oct. 18, 2014. A great recording, very natural and excellent audience sounds and spacial cues. 

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #109 of 2,609
Have to say, the only thing better about the 560 is, for me, it's more comfortable. I had to put a wrap around the head band of the HEK (was suggested on one of these HEK threads), spreads the pressure across my bald noggin and helps (the pressure and discomfort is right at the top of my small, smooth head, and is worse the smaller I make the band. Much better wrapped, though. Add some cheese and salsa, makes a nice sandwich :smiley: ) . But, have to say, almost everything I listen to sounds a bit muddy since I got these. Put them on my wife's ears, put on Ella and Louis for her, even she was wowed (and she's heard some good gear-mine, of course-over the years, usually doesn't particularly care a whole lot. She was stunned by the clarity and realism of these. So, long winded answer, they'll be my birthday present to myself (someone has to do it), with the ZOTL driving them. Definitely miss them on vacation. Using Beyer 1350, FAD Heaven V, Pono, other iems, good gear, all ruined for me, sad...:sob:

glad to hear you will have a fabulous birthday and audio holiday!!!!! congratulations!!!!!! The Zotl2, HiFIMan1k and doctorjazz go together like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or something like that!

Jun 30, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #110 of 2,609

glad to hear you will have a fabulous birthday and audio holiday!!!!! congratulations!!!!!! The Zotl2, HiFIMan1k and doctorjazz go together like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or something like that!

They're very impressive sounding, tried them on my 21 year old last night, home for a day, has heard (and liked) many of my headphones, was floored by the HEK/MicroZOTL combo (as she should be). As I said, even my wife "gets it" with these, can't say that is true for most of my audio escapades :)

Jul 1, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #112 of 2,609
A wife and a 21 year old daughter that gets the synergy of the zotl2 and the HE1K, the odds of that has to be 1 in a billion or maybe even a zillion :)

True dat!

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #113 of 2,609
Received my unit last week.
Have time to assemble today and listen right out of the box.
Sound very impressive and similar to my Zotl preone + Zotl ZH230 setup.
I have tried to drive Abyss AB1266 with the speaker post of ZH230 but may be too much power.
Out of curiosity I only try speaker post output of microzotl2 with Abyss AB1266, HD800, LCD3 and HE6 (no HE100 in Thailand right now)
There is no problem  driving HE6 (I am using Gustard U12 out from J River Media20 to Weiss DAC202)
I can vary the output of my Weiss DAC202 but I need to increase only one step from my usual setting to drive HE6
Have listened to Stravinsky The Rite Of Spring Eiji Oue, Sarah Brightman Eden, Time To Say Goodbye, La Luna
Alison Krauss Forget About It, Dire Straits Love Over Gold   All in DSD files (converted to PCM 176.4 by Gustard U12 ). All with excellent results
No need to change the stock tube as it is very transparent , resolving and has enough warmth for me (may be Tungsol 6SN7 BGRP later)
I think Brimar 6060 Yellow T or Mullard M8162 may be too warm and too sweet (as 12AT7 driver) , but may try Siemens ECC801s triple mica later, later.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #114 of 2,609
With the new MicroZOTL addition to your ZOTL collection, we'd have to call your system MACROZOTL!

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #115 of 2,609
I am interested in the original microzotl for some time but did not find a good one
Later I purchased the Zotl preone + Zh230 and happily use this unit to drive takeT H2+ and new Jecklin
Float QA.  I also use this unit with HE6 and loves it.  I tried to use with Abyss AB1266 and it drives the Abyss AB1266
better than any of my amplifier but the volume is too loud for me so I cannot use for long listening.
When I found out from this thread that the new microzotl2 coming and it has several functions that suits me.  I emailed
David and did not hesitate to order one.
I will use it to drive Abyss AB1266 and HE6, may not be as good as the combo (I should say around 85-90% for headphones).
I consider the microzotl2 now as the best buy headphone amplifier (not burn in yet). I have to wait for the Liquid carbon though.

I also use the microzotl2 with other earbuds: VE Zen, Sennheiser MX985, PK1 and Xiaomi
I can confirm that there are no hisses with there four earbuds. 
I love the microzotl2 driving the MX985

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #116 of 2,609
Sometimes get a slight hiss with my ACS Encores ciem, not with VE Zen, most of my listening time with it is with the HEK, hate to use my too-limited listening time listening to anything else!

Jul 2, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #117 of 2,609
Have the Liquid Carbon on order as well, curious how they'll compare.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #118 of 2,609
I have tried another most difficult phone today : AKG K1000 bass heavy via speaker post
I am very happy as the microzotl2 can drive AKG K1000 with authority at 2 Oclock with normal output setting of Weiss DAC202
So I will leave my output at 2 Oclock and will adjust the volume of the Weiss DAC202 if I use different headphones
Love the cello sound with the AKG K1000 + microzotl2

So far it serves my purpose to drive several difficult headphones that cannot be achieved fully
with my other amplifier :ECBA and EAR HP4.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #119 of 2,609
  I have tried another most difficult phone today : AKG K1000 bass heavy via speaker post
I am very happy as the microzotl2 can drive AKG K1000 with authority at 2 Oclock with normal output setting of Weiss DAC202
So I will leave my output at 2 Oclock and will adjust the volume of the Weiss DAC202 if I use different headphones
Love the cello sound with the AKG K1000 + microzotl2

So far it serves my purpose to drive several difficult headphones that cannot be achieved fully
with my other amplifier :ECBA and EAR HP4.

You mean that the $1000 MicroZotl2 has more authority than those Super High-End $5000 headphone Amp ( ECBA and EAR HP4) !??  Will it be better than my EC445 ?

And Also, are you sure that MicroZotl2 really is powerful enough to have the ABYSS delivering the best possible SQ ?  This seems to be hard to believe knowing the ABYSS taste for poser !?

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #120 of 2,609
Question...how do you use the speaker taps? (an adaptor, I assume). And, is there a benefit/difference doing that for the HEK, which seems to run fine out of the headphone jack. And, heard off EAR, what is the other amp, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back