MICROZOTL2 Tube Headphone Amp and preamp: a breakthrough device
Jun 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #62 of 2,609
The one review I read didn't think the built in headphone amp wad anything great, but you could drive headphones from the balanced outputs (with the proper cables, of course), and it sounded great. Haven't heard it myself, and I'm sure the DA converter out into the ZOTL will sound great...

Jun 21, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #63 of 2,609
The DAC section of the Puredac is a very good.  The headphone section is good not great in my opinion, at least on the early version I have.  What is really cool about the Puredac  is the analog outputs  (both balanced and single ended) to allow you to go into a different amplifier.  I generally use the balance outputs into my RSA Apache and the RCA outputs to my RSA Raptor.  The Puredac works in all three modes, stand alone, single end and balanced.  

It still falls short of my PS Audio PWD MKII, though from a DAC perspective.

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #65 of 2,609
Can you run the amp without the plexiglass to allow the use of CV181 like the Black Treasures?

The opening paragraph of the manual says it all:

WARNING: For safety, the cover of this amplifier should be secured at all times. DC voltages as high as 450V and peak AC voltages as high as 800V are present inside. The service information contained in this manual is intended only for trained service personnel. Furthermore, this amplifier generates radio-frequency energy that can interfere with communications equipment. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #66 of 2,609
My tube speaker amps are coverless. Helps in cooling the tubes. When I adjust the bias on my tube speaker amp, I have to be really careful.

The opening paragraph of the manual says it all:

WARNING: For safety, the cover of this amplifier should be secured at all times. DC voltages as high as 450V and peak AC voltages as high as 800V are present inside. The service information contained in this manual is intended only for trained service personnel. Furthermore, this amplifier generates radio-frequency energy that can interfere with communications equipment. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #67 of 2,609
  The DAC section of the Puredac is a very good.  The headphone section is good not great in my opinion, at least on the early version I have.  What is really cool about the Puredac  is the analog outputs  (both balanced and single ended) to allow you to go into a different amplifier.  I generally use the balance outputs into my RSA Apache and the RCA outputs to my RSA Raptor.  The Puredac works in all three modes, stand alone, single end and balanced.  

It still falls short of my PS Audio PWD MKII, though from a DAC perspective.

Im using a Mojo Audio NOS non oversampling DAC designed by Benjamin Zweikel into the MicroZotl.  it pairs extremely well, and yields a superb analogue like sound with gorgeous detail, dynamics and tone.

Jun 21, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #68 of 2,609
Not technically know knowledgeable in these matters, but I think the OTL part makes it different than your standard tube amp when it comes to handling it (the radio technology may as well, even less sure about that...).

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #69 of 2,609
I am going to have one by the weekend. Looking forward to trying it out with the a slew of phones at the meet- HE-1000, HD-800, TH900 and the Master1.

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #71 of 2,609
Just placed my order, as well!

Could someone please explain what the power output would be for the He1000?
If I'm understanding the numbers, looks like maybe 1/4 of a watt? Is this right and, if so, does the amp not seem to be underpowered?
Nevertheless, I placed my order based on the great reviews in this forum, not to mention the review based on the combo with the HE1000.
Thanks!

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #72 of 2,609
Just placed my order, as well!

Could someone please explain what the power output would be for the He1000?
If I'm understanding the numbers, looks like maybe 1/4 of a watt? Is this right and, if so, does the amp not seem to be underpowered?
Nevertheless, I placed my order based on the great reviews in this forum, not to mention the review based on the combo with the HE1000.
Thanks!

I see what you mean when you convert the numbers based on ohms.  I was concerned about that also, and--unlike you--I wasn't astute enough to figure in the HE-1000's impedence.  Duane (dealer who I mention in the conclusion of my HE-1000 review) goes "way back" with David Berning.  Duane told me that Mr. Berning routinely understates the specifications of his products.  In any case, the short answer is NO, there seems to be PLENTY of power.  For whatever reason, there seems to be more headroom through the single ended output of the MicroZOTL 2 than there was thru the balanced output (~3.2 Watts) of the Oppo HA-1.   It does make a difference how much output voltage the device feeding the MicroZOTL2 has, however (Duane told me that).  With my irDAC, the line output level is "2.2Vrms."  With that, there is PLENTY of headroom on most CDs that I play.

Jun 22, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #73 of 2,609
Thanks for your input.
I figured there was enough power if you liked the combo so much, just hard to fully understand.
I'm very much looking forward to receiving the amp, hopefully this week.

Jun 22, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #74 of 2,609
Thanks for your input.
I figured there was enough power if you liked the combo so much, just hard to fully understand.
I'm very much looking forward to receiving the amp, hopefully this week.

I believe in OTL amps there is a increase in power as impedance increases . There are some caveats to it though mainly how much current the power supply can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back