MHDT Havana DAC
Sep 3, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #2,491 of 2,680
  You will lose a lot of micro details and resolution and dynamics with the stock. With the best capacitors on the market Havana improves the level of resolution and details (but keeping the sound balance, that typical NOS tonality &texture) and compete with $2.500-3.000 converters. This is the difference.
smile.gif

Thanks!  That's valuable info.  I had concluded from a lot of other reading (since making my post above), that the stock Havana and Havana 2 will degrade resolution, so you're opinion is in good company, confirming what I'd read elsewhere. 

I'm now thinking about amps to cure the HD800, instead of DACs...

Any day now, I'm going to get so burnt out on research, I'll just put the HD800 up for sale and pretend they doesn't exist.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #2,492 of 2,680
Hi guys - I have some Russian K75-24 caps 2.2uf and 400v left over from a previous DIY venture. Would they be viable candidates to use at output?

The voltage rating is much higher, but from reading some previous posts on this thread there seems to be some consensus that this is not a problem.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #2,493 of 2,680
Hi guys - I have some Russian K75-24 caps 2.2uf and 400v left over from a previous DIY venture. Would they be viable candidates to use at output?

The voltage rating is much higher, but from reading some previous posts on this thread there seems to be some consensus that this is not a problem.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

In the case of capacitors higher voltage is always better.

Sep 12, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #2,494 of 2,680
FWIW the Russian Caps sounded pretty dire, very dark and somewhat compressed. Swapped them out for a pair of Aurica, same spec as stock, and they have promise. A little more snap than the stock but not as open and airy, I'll give them some more time and report back if something blooms.

Sep 26, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,495 of 2,680
Hi everyone,
I have the Stockholm V2 and so far I upgraded tube and chip. My next move is to try the r core transformer upgrade, but I need a little help. I'm sure this has already been covered, but I didn't read all 165 pages of this thread.

1- what specs do I need for the r core? I don't want to buy the wrong one.
2- I have no clue how to solder. Suggestions on where to send it? I live in southern Oregon.

Thanks,
Ernie

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #2,496 of 2,680
Hi everyone,
I have the Stockholm V2 and so far I upgraded tube and chip. My next move is to try the r core transformer upgrade, but I need a little help. I'm sure this has already been covered, but I didn't read all 165 pages of this thread.

1- what specs do I need for the r core? I don't want to buy the wrong one.
2- I have no clue how to solder. Suggestions on where to send it? I live in southern Oregon.

Thanks,
Ernie

I'm pretty sure the Stockholm v2 will use the very same R Core as the Havana ... but others might want to speak up or you might want to contact MHDTlabs personally and ask Juin about it.  You can contact MHDT Labs @ mhdtgang@yahoo.com

I know from speaking with Juin that the Stockholm v2 uses a larger stock toroidal power supply than the Havana does but I believe the R core transformer (see below) in question is significantly more powerful than the Havana, anyway ...

Here is the transformer that folks have been using in their Havana's (surprising how cheap it is) ... this can be set for either 115 (usa) or 230 (europe) volts...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/115V-230V-30W-high-quality-Audio-R-Core-Transformer-15V-15V-9V-9V-/130708821508?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item1e6eda5604

Otherwise, regarding the mod work and after you research everything ... the folk at Hotrod Audio are very good and will do just about anything you need. Call them on the phone or email them, they have always gotten back with me very promptly:

Hotrod Audio Mods 

Best of luck. 

I've had a Stockholm v2 in the house for about four months now and really dig it .. completely stock ... I've had all sorts of MHDT DACs but have never modded them ... they work fine for me as is ...

joel

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #2,498 of 2,680
Thanks Joel! Very helpful info.

Also, if I decide to muster up the courage to do this myself, are there any instructions already posted somewhere?

No ... not that I know of.

Read the thread and hit up some of the elite modder guys who have already done it.

I would not go blindly in to it.

:wink:

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #2,500 of 2,680
  This is still for sale:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690772/mhdt-lab-havana-changed-in-a-very-extreme-way

I don't understand why you are selling this DAC if you claim to have made such amazing progress.   Is there something it's still not doing for you or are you just wanting to try something else?  Perhaps a Stockholm or a Pagoda?  Your enthusiasm for modifying this DAC is contagious and thank you for your constant updates.

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #2,501 of 2,680
  I don't understand why you are selling this DAC if you claim to have made such amazing progress.   Is there something it's still not doing for you or are you just wanting to try something else?  Perhaps a Stockholm or a Pagoda?  Your enthusiasm for modifying this DAC is contagious and thank you for your constant updates.

Hi,
I had a very pleasant surprise after I sold ART Legato, becouse currently I use Havana on the USB input with AQ Coffee connected directly to iMac (OS X Mavericks) and Logitech Media Server & Squezelittle. The sound is better (for me).
biggrin.gif
  I still can not believe it.
I thought to buy Audiophilleo 2, but very seriously, I'm very satisfied with Havana without transport: better texture, better micro details, better resolution. Probably something has an influence in this respect, becouse Havana reacts very, very positive to those Hi-End capacitors ( I mean Rike S-Cap, V-Cap CuTF and Black Gate FK series)..

If you notice, I put everything on sale and I am not interested for another DAC becouse Havana sounds VERY good. I think I need the money for other hobbies.
smile.gif

Cheers,

Oct 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2,502 of 2,680
Hi, I just joined so this is my first post here.
Eng is not my first language so excuse me if I don't write everything correct :)

I have now Lampizator's "high end 3.0" kit with tube psu + Lampucera 2.0 board with pcm1798, upgraded with Mundorfs, Oscons, Jantzens, Belleson regulators...
It's a great dac for the money, but it also took some time to complete it. 
Since I'm kind a puristic minds, I'm searching for pure NOS, non OPAMP dac, for cca 1000 usd.
There are two dacs which I believe will suit me, MHDT STOCKHOLM mk2 (or Pagoda) and METRUM ACOUSTICS OCTAVE mk2.
I want to ask you if maybe someone already made direct comparison or can tell me what's the major difference between those two.
Which one is more "puristic", more natural, organic, non fatigue, analog sounding ? I like tubes...
Any comment is more than useful.

Thanks, Gasper, Slovenija EU

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2,503 of 2,680
Hi,
I hardly took a final decision and I put Havana on sale at a decent price
biggrin.gif
:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/690772/mhdt-lab-havana-fully-upgraded-v-cap-cutf-rike-s-cap-elna-silmic-ii

Thank you!
smile.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #2,505 of 2,680
I would really love to try out the Havana sometime. I own the Pagoda but since I never heard any of their other DACs I have no idea how it compares. I assume the Pagoda is more natural sounding ref. type DAC as mine is very transparent and really blows me away. But damn I wish I knew someone with the havana or stockholm v2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back