Mezzo Hifi - New AK120/AK100 Mods (WM8741 in software mode)
Jul 15, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #46 of 133
I am now curious on whether I should send my AK120 for modification. Shipping batteries operated devices from Australia is pain, postage is also not cheap and the risk of me not liking is high. What I am trying to say is it be nice if a seller locally caries this modded version but I doubt anyone would want to carry a modded anything here or anywhere. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #48 of 133
With wm8741, Battery life is Approx 20 percent less than the wm8740 depend on resolution of the song you play

Jul 17, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #50 of 133
Might out of topic here but answer below. More infor mation, please sent me PM or AB test by yourself since I leave my fitear334 and cable with Yeo who arrange the headfi mini meet in singapore.

1. Change the outter tube to aluminium to get more sweet and resonance

2. Customize the cable and analog tuning the fitear unit (Human ear expert tunning using different song and freq) to get the 3D depth and stage.

Both mod might too hardcore for normal customer if your fitear still in warantee, you might consider only 2nd options. Custom cable is tune per earphone therefore better to sent your fitear along
Phanom

Jul 17, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #51 of 133
  One important question, what is the impact on the battery life?

For 16-bit files, the impact isn't quite 20%. I got around 10 hours of battery life with PCM 16 bit files. Again, I'll be measuring properly later.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #52 of 133
[All this on latest firmware - MS-AK100 - 2.40, MS-AK120 1.40, HM-901 balanced module 1.085, Calyx M 0.96]
[Earphone Dita Truth SE]

Just when I'm on the eve of returning the MS-AK100, MS-AK120, & Intruder back to Phanom, I'm giving these DAPs another listen. What I mentioned way back page one still mostly stands and although I still have a preference of my HM-901, I'd say these MS-AK100/120 aren't far off in giving out a full meaty sound. In fact the only main thing I can pick up that makes the HM-901 edge out by a little margin over these DAPs is the soundstage presentation. In all other aspects they are very satisfying in their micro-detail, smoothness, and transparency.

Comparing the MS-AK100/120 against the Calyx M, at least with the Ditas*, the the vocals of either of the MS-AKseries have a more fuller depth.

They actually deserve more attention that I had given them and just when I have to ship them back, they're actually winning a place in my heart. I'll give them more of a listen tomorrow before I post them off.

(*) There may be a lack of synergy between the Calyx M & Ditas. So in the test above, I may not necessarily have chosen the most fair earphones but I do like the Ditas as references.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #53 of 133
  I am now curious on whether I should send my AK120 for modification. Shipping batteries operated devices from Australia is pain, postage is also not cheap and the risk of me not liking is high. What I am trying to say is it be nice if a seller locally caries this modded version but I doubt anyone would want to carry a modded anything here or anywhere. 

Since it will be out of warranty anyway, the AKs are not that difficult to open and remove the battery. I can't remembers if the leads are soldered or if there's a clip but it's directly under the rear cover.

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #54 of 133
  [All this on latest firmware - MS-AK100 - 2.40, MS-AK120 1.40, HM-901 balanced module 1.085, Calyx M 0.96]
[Earphone Dita Truth SE]

Just when I'm on the eve of returning the MS-AK100, MS-AK120, & Intruder back to Phanom, I'm giving these DAPs another listen. What I mentioned way back page one still mostly stands and although I still have a preference of my HM-901, I'd say these MS-AK100/120 aren't far off in giving out a full meaty sound. In fact the only main thing I can pick up that makes the HM-901 edge out by a little margin over these DAPs is the soundstage presentation. In all other aspects they are very satisfying in their micro-detail, smoothness, and transparency.

Comparing the MS-AK100/120 against the Calyx M, at least with the Ditas*, the the vocals of either of the MS-AKseries have a more fuller depth.

They actually deserve more attention that I had given them and just when I have to ship them back, they're actually winning a place in my heart. I'll give them more of a listen tomorrow before I post them off.

(*) There may be a lack of synergy between the Calyx M & Ditas. So in the test above, I may not necessarily have chosen the most fair earphones but I do like the Ditas as references.

Speaking of sending back, I need to send your Sony back to you. Thank you. Also, glad to have your updated thoughts. The stereo/stage effects of the Mezzos are so wide that they may in fact sound a bit TOO wide and therefore, more compressed through earphones. I've found often that to be the case. 

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #55 of 133
Speaking of sending back, I need to send your Sony back to you. Thank you. Also, glad to have your updated thoughts. The stereo/stage effects of the Mezzos are so wide that they may in fact sound a bit TOO wide and therefore, more compressed through earphones. I've found often that to be the case. 
Maybe it's just me but with the MS-AK120 alone I felt the staging wasn't as wide (you lost me with your comment of "too wide" == "compressed on earphones"...what earphones are you using!?).

But when I hooked up the Intruder balanced, I'm very impressed.

An overall bigger sound than the AK240 by itself.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #56 of 133
Quick question for you guys (rookie user here)... Can the balanced out on the mezzo ONLY be connected to balanced in on an external amp? Or can a balanced iem be connected directly to the 3.5 out (like the 2.5 on the ak240?). Thanks

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #57 of 133
Quick question for you guys (rookie user here)... Can the balanced out on the mezzo ONLY be connected to balanced in on an external amp? Or can a balanced iem be connected directly to the 3.5 out (like the 2.5 on the ak240?). Thanks

Good question. Sadly my 3.5mm TRRS had gone back to be reterminated to 2.5mm TRRS/AK240 so can't test. the 3.5mm TRRS lineout though seems to be variable lineout (i.e. turn volume to "max"??) then control the volume on the external amp instead.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #58 of 133

Phanom replied me before:

Code:
[color=rgb(68, 68, 68)] The balance line out is only for balance amp or balance connector. Some  people with very easy drive headphone re-terminate their headphone cable  to balance 3.5 mini and put directly to this balance line out (but not  recommend)[/color]

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #59 of 133

Good question. Sadly my 3.5mm TRRS had gone back to be reterminated to 2.5mm TRRS/AK240 so can't test. the 3.5mm TRRS lineout though seems to be variable lineout (i.e. turn volume to "max"??) then control the volume on the external amp instead.

Phanom replied me before, actually no need turn to max volume. 

Code:
[color=rgb(68, 68, 68)] The output need to match with the input level required. Our gain adjustment is not adjust via the internal amp but via the  wm8741 attenuation function so it no matter you lower the volume or not[/color]

I tried turn it to max volume via single ended then connect to my amp before.
It make the sound of sine curve get clip off.
Phanom suggest me lower the volume and try.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #60 of 133

Phanom replied me before, actually no need turn to max volume. 

I tried turn it to max volume via single ended then connect to my amp before.
It make the sound of sine curve get clip off.
Phanom suggest me lower the volume and try.

I've not tested the voltage, but I assume at full volume the mezzo-modded AK100 is putting out a LOT of voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back