Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #5,042 of 12,974
takes a bit of adjustment but no big deal and in actual fact they are actually comfortable because of the way they kind of float without much clamping force....they are simply the best HP available today IMHO

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #5,043 of 12,974
The only thing holding me back is I heard it was difficult getting them situated on your head to get the best sound.
Definitely not as comfortable as the Empy.

Oct 15, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #5,045 of 12,974
Currently listening to Empyreans through Sennheiser HDV820 and they sound great. Amp's output impedance is a little high, so I'll reserve final judgement for when I get a new amp/dac. But these cans sound fantastic. I'd put them up there with Utopia and Abyss 1266 TC (which I A/B'd together with Empyrean). All three are "endgame," just depends on your preferences. Utopia are clear and snappy. Empyrean are lush. Abyss are more visceral. I'd get all three if I really felt like dropping $12,000 on freakin' headphones... :wink: The Empyreans disappear and you can just zone out and enjoy the music, which for me is the point. I don't want to listen to headphones. I want to listen to music.

The Abyss sound fantastic too, but I couldn't get the fit right for my head and the sound quality suffered because of it. Other cans I own are Focal Elear, HD820, Sony Z7M2. I had Focal Elegia and Sony Z1R but returned them. Contemplating getting rid of the others and just sticking with Empyreans. I don't need anything else at this point.

Current Playlist

Puscifer and David Bowie – "Bring Me the Disco King"
Puscifer – "Rocket Man"
Puscifer – "Monsoons"
Dave Matthews – "The Dreaming Tree"
The Doors – "Riders on the Storm"
Percy Hill – "Color in Bloom"
Scary Pockets – "Crazy" (cover of Gnarls Barkley)
Tool – "Pneuma"
Tool – "Invincible"
Tool – "Chocolate Chip Trip"

Disclaimer:
Don't listen to anything I say because obviously I haven't received my Head-Fi Audiophile License yet according to the experts.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #5,046 of 12,974
Some guys just doesn`t understand that most high end stuff is being coloured and tuned more euphonically than analytical. When I listen to music I want to enjoy it and not to analyse it. I think that there are a lot of people who prefers the sound signature of the Empyrean to the Utopia.
I suppose that the development target for the Empyrean was not necessarily to create the ultimate headphone of detail retrieval.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #5,047 of 12,974
I agree with the several posters above - Abyss is tricky. Superb results when you can get a good fit, but by no means is it a guarantee for every user. I eventually found a good setting and really appreciated what I heard, but the comfort was still a factor in me not ending up making the purchase.

No such problems with my Empyrean - super comfy for hours of use.

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #5,048 of 12,974
The Abyss may indeed be the best, or one of the best, hp on the planet BUT hp comfort over time is also very important to me.

I have a fantastic 2 channel system that puts 0 stress on my head / neck! :smirk: When I do want to sit with a hp on I want comfort as well as sq. I find both of these in the Empy's.
As far a detail (or lack of detail) with the Empy's, after I added the HeadAmp GS-X mini and Chord Qutest DAC I have as much detail as I could ever want. The Qutest has also elevated the detail retrierval while using the Liquid Platinum amp as well. One man's opinion.

Oct 15, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #5,052 of 12,974
Some guys just doesn`t understand that most high end stuff is being coloured and tuned more euphonically than analytical.
Only with some expensive 'flagship' headphones. If loudspeakers and amps that cost $80,000-100,000 were colored and tuned euphonically, they'd get lambasted in reviews and subsequent measurements, tube gear notwithstanding. And you can buy colored headphones for $50 or $100. Why spend all that money for romanticized sonics? On the other hand, if you have to have a certain sound signature and it costs X amount of bucks, you'll go for it.

Oct 15, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #5,053 of 12,974
Currently listening to Empyreans through Sennheiser HDV820 and they sound great. Amp's output impedance is a little high, so I'll reserve final judgement for when I get a new amp/dac. But these cans sound fantastic. I'd put them up there with Utopia and Abyss 1266 TC (which I A/B'd together with Empyrean). All three are "endgame," just depends on your preferences. Utopia are clear and snappy. Empyrean are lush. Abyss are more visceral. I'd get all three if I really felt like dropping $12,000 on freakin' headphones... :wink: The Empyreans disappear and you can just zone out and enjoy the music, which for me is the point. I don't want to listen to headphones. I want to listen to music.

The Abyss sound fantastic too, but I couldn't get the fit right for my head and the sound quality suffered because of it. Other cans I own are Focal Elear, HD820, Sony Z7M2. I had Focal Elegia and Sony Z1R but returned them. Contemplating getting rid of the others and just sticking with Empyreans. I don't need anything else at this point.

Current Playlist

Puscifer and David Bowie – "Bring Me the Disco King"
Puscifer – "Rocket Man"
Puscifer – "Monsoons"
Dave Matthews – "The Dreaming Tree"
The Doors – "Riders on the Storm"
Percy Hill – "Color in Bloom"
Scary Pockets – "Crazy" (cover of Gnarls Barkley)
Tool – "Pneuma"
Tool – "Invincible"
Tool – "Chocolate Chip Trip"

Disclaimer:
Don't listen to anything I say because obviously I haven't received my Head-Fi Audiophile License yet according to the experts.
Nice music tastes! Why did you return the Z1R? I returned my Z7M2 but love the Z7, which I bought after I returned the Z7M2. I actually used the Z7M2 Amazon refund to partially fund an IER-M9 purchase, which I absolutely love. But anyway I was thinking the MDR-Z1R was the logical next step up from my Z7, which I love.

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #5,054 of 12,974
Only with some expensive 'flagship' headphones. If loudspeakers and amps that cost $80,000-100,000 were colored and tuned euphonically, they'd get lambasted in reviews and subsequent measurements, tube gear notwithstanding. And you can buy colored headphones for $50 or $100. Why spend all that money for romanticized sonics? On the other hand, if you have to have a certain sound signature and it costs X amount of bucks, you'll go for it.

I respectfully disagree with the part about uber-expensive speaker gear not having the option of being colored/euphonic. The audio press will give accolades to just about anything. One needs only to search Audiogon for highly expensive speakers, then google for reviews of said models, to find the positive coverage.... regardless of how absurd the design (and the price) obviously may be.

Single small "full range" drivers in funky enclosures selling for 5 figures? Huge multi-driver systems with ridiculously-basic crossovers for "purity"? Stuff that sells for obscene pricing where the tiny one-man operation clearly has no way of measuring anything, and perhaps even proudly proclaims how he tunes by ear instead? These, and many others, all have their share of rave reviews.

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #5,055 of 12,974
Nice music tastes! Why did you return the Z1R? I returned my Z7M2 but love the Z7, which I bought after I returned the Z7M2. I actually used the Z7M2 Amazon refund to partially fund an IER-M9 purchase, which I absolutely love. But anyway I was thinking the MDR-Z1R was the logical next step up from my Z7, which I love.

Unfortunately, I found the Z1R to be downright disgusting. The worst headphones I've ever heard. The build quality is nice. They look cool. they seem to have cool technology. But they sound awful to me. No amount of EQ could save them, so back they went. The Z7M2 sound better to me. I haven't used them since getting the HD820 though.

Right now it's Empyrean and HD820 for me. I'd love to get a Utopia as well but my next step is a better amp/dac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back