1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Feb 9, 2018.
First

Back
328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337
339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348
Next

Last
  1. treebug
    Luxman P-750u. Great soundstage and detail retrieval with the Empyrean.

2. treebug
    Anyone here tried the Empyrean Copper upgrade cable? Just wondered if there is much difference to the stock cable.

3. ken6217
    I don’t know if they changed the stock cable from when the Empyrean first came out, but if they didn’t then any upgraded cable will be better than stock. To me, it was dreadful.

xxx1313 likes this.
  4. project86 Contributor
    Yeah I don't know if I'd use the word "dreadful" but I definitely think there is an improvement to be had over stock. I use Audio Art, I'm sure many other options would work well too. Not only for sonics but also ergonomics and even looks (if that matters).

5. betula
    The stock cable is not at all as bad as some people say. If anything, it is a bit heavy.
    Of course a silver cable will bring some sonic improvement but it is not like you are changing your amp or DAC, it is much more subtle.
    That last 5-10% of clarity,air and balance might come from a silver cable.

Fun moment for tonight: I am in the process of A/B testing my silver cable to the stock one. both cables are plugged into TT2 in order to make the switch as quick as possible. I have become the fastest gunfighter of cable swapping these days. :)
    Why I am sharing this story is because one time I was so fast, I forgot to swap the left channel, so the right cup was on silver and the left one on stock copper. I immediately said it out loud: W.T.F.! Then I realised. What better proof you need that there is a difference? :)
    The level of difference of course can be a matter of debate. Let's just say, it is obvious enough.

GreenBow, Narayan23 and tradyblix like this.
  6. TSAVAlan
    The Empy cable is one of the nicer stock cables I have dealt with. Got the 3m XLR on our demo pair. Haven't tried the Meze upgrade cable but had tried the 99 series upgrade cables and those were quite nice.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
    tradyblix likes this.
  7. eric65
    Hi all.

Meze Empyrean, Kennerton Thror and Phobos comparison.

and FR comparison Meze Empyrean, Kennerton Thror and Focal Utopia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Newsee likes this.
  8. Kopf
    On these measurements you can clearly see that the bass of Empyrean blows away the Utopia and the Kennerton Thror. The bass is more apparent in the Empyrean. It´s not even close it´s a massacre.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  9. eric65
    It is a massacre for neutrality. :beyersmile:

That said, bass-heads will appreciate Empyrean more than Utopia or Thror! :)

10. triggsviola
    Depends on whether you prefer quality or quantity. :wink:

11. ken6217
    What's the use of quality if you can't hear it?:wink:

12. Kopf
    It´s almost impossible to judge the sound of a headphone just by looking at a measurement. Measurements are a additional and necessary oppurtunity to evaluate the technical aspects of a headphone.
    There is over the entire low frequencies a difference of 4 - 6db to Utopia and Thror.

13. MacedonianHero Contributor
    I don't get it? The Empyreans measure quite flat overall. They do have more bass than the Utopia (which I also own), but both are quite different terms of their take of neutral. For example Paul Barton of PSB Speakers likes to add an additional bump down low to account for the gain added to the bass from speakers from the room effects. Both are stellar headphones IMO.

xxx1313 likes this.
  14. up late
    i can clearly see from those measurements that the empyrean's bass amplitude is boosted, which is fine if you like moar bass
    i regard headphone measurements as indicative and nothing more

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  15. eric65
    With an equalizer removing 4 to 6 dB in the low and the low-mids for the Empyrean, you will have a more balanced and neutral sound, but you will not have the same precision and details (for the sound) as that of the Utopia or the Kennerton Thror.
    Utopia and Kennerton Thror do not lack bass.
    These two last headphones are just more balanced (more "neutral") and more precise (including bass, concerning the Thror) than the Empyrean; but those who appreciate the sound with strong bass in quantity (the bass-heads) will prefer Empyrean for this extra (excess?) bass.

up late likes this.
First

Back
328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337
339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348
Next

Last