Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Sep 29, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #4,906 of 13,037
I'm listening to the Empyrean through a Hugo2/TA-ZH1ES combo. It just takes the Hugo 2 to another level. It is absolutely fantastic sounding. And I know the Empyrean is a big part of it. It's like all the fluidity and preciseness of the chord and all of the warmth and analog bass of the tazzy.

Listening to Anak Ko by Jay Som. Beautiful.

Sep 29, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #4,907 of 13,037
I am considering purchasing the Empyreans to pair with the Chord Dave. Any feedback on how they pair feeding directly from the Dave would be very much appreciated.
I believe darko audio talks about the dave in his empyrean review on youtube

Oct 1, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #4,910 of 13,037
i don't have a view on who is or isn't qualified to post in this or any other forum thread, but it is obvious that you have a personal view of me that you feel compelled to air in this particular forum thread. since it was you who started this "squabble", perhaps you should consider following your own advice.

Oct 1, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #4,911 of 13,037
I have just ordered my pure silver cables for my Empyrean from Lavricables. I am looking forward to hearing it and potentially writing a brief review about them.
What is your experience with silver cables on the Empyrean?
Veeeery interesting! Do share your impressions, even just early ones. Been looking at exactly that cable :) i was worried about stiffness, and wondering how clear the difference in terms of sind signature might be...

I have the lavricable grand line for the empy. Cable looks fantastic. Sounds good to me, detailed highs and tight bass. Needs a long time to run in though. Out of the box it felt screechy and congested. I've used them maybe a good few weeks now. I have a norne silvergarde S3 which I recently received and am running that in too, but early comparison is that the lavricable seems more forward in presentation but the S3 has smoother tops. Will use the S3 a bit more before saying anything else.
Same thing, excited to see how your opinion evolves. If the grand can keep up with the s3 that would be good news for me :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #4,912 of 13,037
Hello...I am new to head-fi and currently own Meze Empyrean. I am also interested in ZMF Aeolus and wanted some expert opinions on how does these two headphones compare to one another in terms of sound and comfort.
Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Oct 1, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #4,913 of 13,037
Hello...I am new to head-fi and currently own Meze Empyrean. I am also interested in ZMF Aeolus and wanted some expert opinions on how does these two headphones compare to one another in terms of sound and comfort.
Any feedback is highly appreciated.
On the iCan I didn’t like the Aeolus. They don’t imo compliment the Empryean. Your better at looking at Verite. Current amp now is gsx mini. If you want warm sounding Verite over Aeolus being You are use to the openness of the Empyrean. I sold Aeolus for Verite and am very happy. I’m sure you will want more resolution too your sound.

Oct 1, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #4,914 of 13,037
On the iCan I didn’t like the Aeolus. They don’t imo compliment the Empryean. Your better at looking at Verite. Current amp now is gsx mini. If you want warm sounding Verite over Aeolus being You are use to the openness of the Empyrean. I sold Aeolus for Verite and am very happy. I’m sure you will want more resolution too your sound.
Thank you for the feedback.

Oct 1, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #4,916 of 13,037
Too funny!

Attachments

• dog serious.jpg
    dog serious.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #4,918 of 13,037
Veeeery interesting! Do share your impressions, even just early ones. Been looking at exactly that cable :) i was worried about stiffness, and wondering how clear the difference in terms of sind signature might be...

The cable will arrive in a few days, I will share my impressions. To be honest I am also a cable sceptic, but in some cases cables can bring improvement to my experience. I think it is very much system dependent how much improvement one can hear.

I used to own a relatively good silver cable (Toxic cables) with my previous Audeze LCD2C headphones and once I did a blind test the difference was less obvious than I thought. Most of the times I was able to make a good guess, but sometimes I made a mistake. This made me question the worth of the cable.
This might sound ridiculous, but I strongly recommend to do blind tests with cables and see how many times your guess is right.

Another relevant cable experience of mine was the UM Mason V3 IEM which comes with a double magic 4 pin cable. Depending on how you connect the cables, you can use the copper or the silver. With these ($2700) IEMs I found the difference between copper and silver pretty obvious each time.

Of course another equally acceptable reason for a cable upgrade is additional comfort. Sometimes this comfort alone is worth the extra 200-300-400...

After my Toxic silver cable blind test with my LCD2C I am very sceptical with silver upgrade cables when it comes to sonic improvement. That is why I made a deal with the manufacturer. If I don't like the cable, I can send it back for full refund. (Only 2m long cables can be sent back with 6.3mm (1/4 inch) plug: just what I need.) In case I like a cable I will write a positive review for a partial refund. I think it is a fair deal and of course in case of a positive review this will be explained in the disclaimer.

Anyway, you can read my negative or positive impressions soon either in the thread or as a review.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #4,919 of 13,037
I am considering purchasing the Empyreans to pair with the Chord Dave. Any feedback on how they pair feeding directly from the Dave would be very much appreciated.
Darko did a review of the Empyrean paired with the Dave and found it to be one of his favorite headphone setups ever.

@Bonddam @mixman and others in regard to the iFi iCAN Pro. The iCAN is certainly a fantastic SS amplifier with a good deal of power and options. I would imagine however that the Headamp GSX MK2 and Mini will overall sound more dynamic and transparent. That being said if you can afford to keep the iCAN it can be used as a preamp and volume control. I have used it as such and you get the dynamics and sound of the main amp while being able to still use the Xbass and 3d modes along with tube mode. Tube mode stock is nothing impressive, but if you are skilled enough to open the unit and roll some better and nicer tubes it will sound rather amazing.

I am waiting to hear more reviews on the mini before I decide between that or the MK2. Most likely I will also get the iCAN to use as pre to the MK2 and or to my WA22. By the way though I have not tried the WA5 I can say the 22 is quite fantastic so long as you do not use the stock tubes cause they... well they just plain suck.

Oct 3, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #4,920 of 13,037
Demoed both Empyrean and Utopia the other day. All I can say is it's a tough decision for me. I want both. They are very different headphones though. Listened through a Sennheiser HDV820 amp/dac. Not ideal since its output impedance is a little high for these headphones. But sounded good regardless. Utopia is clear and bright and snappy and dynamic. Empyrean is warm and lush. Better bass emphasis for my tastes. I like them each for different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Mr X
Back