1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Feb 9, 2018.
First

Back
320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329
331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340
Next

Last
  1. guitardave
    Just joined the Empyrean club, after trying a pair for a few days on TTVJ’s loaner program. I actually forgot I had signed up, and found them delivered to my office last week. Right off the bat I found them too warm, with the stock cable, at least to me. But Todd wisely included a Cardas cable also, which was much better and really showed the stock cable as not optimal. I had a cable laying around which I had bought previously for a pair of something or other, with the right connections for the Empyrean and I found I like it even better.
    I found I really HAD to have these, and they arrived today, and I sent the loaners on their merry way. Ok, long story short, I have seen posts comparing Utopias to these, and as the owner of Utopias and Stellias I have to say that these are a really great alternative to the focal sound. Fuller and warmer, but not selling the Utopias... They are very special also.
    I have owned many planers in the past, and always end up not satisfied. I do believe these will be different because they are just so “satisfying“ to listen to.
    After a bit of time with them, it is obvious to me that some reviews I have seen describing the as too warm, really needed to try a different cable. Yes, they are a bit warm, but this can be a ameliorated to a perfect blend of articulation and naturalness.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  2. Roasty
    Yep. Just get the appropriate adaptor to use the balanced cable with whatever gear u have.

FourT6and2 likes this.
  3. Ragnar-BY
    You picture might be much more interesting with an M Scaler :wink:

betula and PJDubyaM like this.
  4. kumar402
    You can use balanced cable with single ended headphone amp with an adapter however using single ended cable with a balanced amp with an adapter is not an good idea
    some amp like DSHA-3F OR LIQUID platinum will go Boom if you do so. Better get cable TERMINATED with balanced XLR.

5. Bonddam
    Just to make you feel better I went through 3 Empyreans all with the same issue. I bought one sent back for replacement received next one same issue sent it back. Then I changed sellers bought the third one same problem so I just learn to live with it.

betula likes this.
  6. ken6217
    As stated above, DO NOT use a single ended cable with an adapter to connect to balanced output or you will be buying a new amp.

kumar402 likes this.
  7. Bonddam
    The Empyrean is a little funky when putting it on my head. Have to adjust it to seal correctly. Not an issue with regular round cups. Anyone else?

8. tradyblix
    Utopias are thinner but they have more detail and more dynamics. It's good to have both options. They're both great headphones that present sound differently.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  9. mixman
    That's why I call the Utopia the Double D two trick ponies......Detail and Dynamics. If they had more to them I would buy them. Just to add before there is an uproar, they are superb at those two things they do, but in this day and age they are starting to sound limited.....even at their current street prices.

10. betula
    I think Empy needs that clarity and technicality from the TT2 or a good SS setup.
    I would however probably pair the Utopia or Verité with R2R/NOS.

11. up late
    i disagree with your characterisation of the utopia. i'm yet to hear another totl headphone that makes it sound limited, and that includes the empyrean.

guitardave likes this.
  12. mixman
    You can choose to disagree, but I am not going to discuss it further here.

Beagle and kid vic like this.
  13. LCMusicLover
    Just received DSHA-3F Ravenswood amp yesterday. Spent way too many hours last night trying out all my cans with it.

On plugging in Utopia, my reaction was:

'Wow, there's more depth to the headstage!'

It was an immediately noticeable difference -- with my previous amps (LP/BHA-1/V280) the stage seemed quite flat.

Once again reinforcing that Utopia really scales.

14. mixman
    I always knew the Utopia scaled well, but that soundstage is still going to be comparatively smaller than other good soundstaging headphones. It’s that it has so much detail and that detail is being drilled into your head with it’s very upfront sound, that puts me off. Don’t dislike Focals (even the Utopia) though as I do like and prefer the Stellia and might own one someday. It has most of the detail, a slightly warmer sound and more full bass, which for me evens out the tonal balance somewhat.

15. audioot
    I have been able to listen to the Meze EMPYREAN extensively on different amplifiers and found it to be disappointing compared to headphones in the same price range.
    In fact, headphones around $ 1000 sounded better.
    Not an option for me.
    The Raal requisite, on the other hand, sounded very good.

First

Back
320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329
331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340
Next

Last