Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 8, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #2,086 of 13,028
Do let me know how the Draug 3 sounds, I love Trevor’s work!
I'll do once I received them. Initially I was supposed to receive them the 21st of December, but yet not even being shipped. I guess is a difficult cable to build :triportsad:

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #2,088 of 13,028
i do not know what the deal is with the stock cable compared to a cardas and neotech both 8 core, i find the stock cables sounds the best, with cardas and neotech i felt the highs and details were suffering of being not present and everything became veiled, when i put the stock cable the highs came back

i really think the meze is the most headphone that gets affected by cable choice compared to all my other headphones

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #2,089 of 13,028
i do not know what the deal is with the stock cable compared to a cardas and neotech both 8 core, i find the stock cables sounds the best, with cardas and neotech i felt the highs and details were suffering of being not present and everything became veiled, when i put the stock cable the highs came back

i really think the meze is the most headphone that gets affected by cable choice compared to all my other headphones
To be clear, I'm not questioning what you hear, but that's ...

Weird -- the stock cable is OFC, and the upgrade cables are also copper, so I wouldn't expect a cardas cable to behave much differently. Perhaps Cardas left out the pixie dust :)

Jan 8, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #2,090 of 13,028
To be clear, I'm not questioning what you hear, but that's ...

Weird -- the stock cable is OFC, and the upgrade cables are also copper, so I wouldn't expect a cardas cable to behave much differently. Perhaps Cardas left out the pixie dust :)

i honestly am surprised myself , maybe something happened to the cables when someone re-terminated those after market cables, but they work fine with my audeze lcd2c

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #2,091 of 13,028
i honestly am surprised myself , maybe something happened to the cables when someone re-terminated those after market cables, but they work fine with my audeze lcd2c
Re-terminated at the amp side, or the mini-XLRs? I wonder if there's a polarity mistake and the Empyreans are sensitive to it, while LCDs aren't? I mean I'm reaching way out at this point, but there's got to be some story, right?

Jan 8, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #2,092 of 13,028
Re-terminated at the amp side, or the mini-XLRs? I wonder if there's a polarity mistake and the Empyreans are sensitive to it, while LCDs aren't? I mean I'm reaching way out at this point, but there's got to be some story, right?

i am sending both cables back to see whats the deal, to guy who re-terminated them

all plugs in both cable have been reterminated to balanced 4 pin as well at the mini xlrs

but compared to stock cable the sound with those cables went downhill

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #2,094 of 13,028
Maybe he used crappy solderr? There is a difference.

i just took out the lcd2c stock cable and was surprised how both after market cables sounded not as stock, so when i said those 2 cables work with lcd2c i take that back

definitely something is not right with the after market cables

sorry to bother u

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #2,095 of 13,028
The Pad Question

I listened to the Empyrean today, for a focused and dedicated time to go further with the pad thing. And the winner is ...well, both. Sort of.

First, the leather pads are (subjectively) louder, not by much but still. So I had to calibrate for that.

The Leather Pad is without a doubt the more dynamic, lively and showy one. It is for me, for vocals (often) the given one. Except -
when you need/want more space around the singer and to have the better feeling for the voice in it's surrounding i.e. a live classical concert, then the Velvet Pad would be my choice.
But - listening to Melody Gardot, Live in Europe, 24Bit, 'Morning Sun' I would prefer the Leather One, again. Because, well, it is a bit more fun.

Let's take another of my daily beasts, Beethoven, van, Ludwig, 'Wickerl'. He composed some of his divinely stuff just several hundred meters from where I live today when downtown.
On the level where the Empyrean is, near/at the very top of the scope of what is possible today, I opted to take another piece for comparison on par with it,
Harnoncourt's last recording of the 4th Symphony Op 60, 24Bit, third movement. It was recorded (sic) in the Musikverein, Golden Hall.
The musical expressiveness and level of this recording are for eternity.
Here, to me, the Velvet Pads are superior. Significantly so.
The Empyrean plays with a wonderful combination of its strengths we love. 'Silky' comes to my mind. Especially the strings. The space around the (groups of) instruments.
The mere dimensionality and soundscape.

Well then, why are both pads winners?
Because they both play on their strengths without obvious weaknesses. It is a matter of taste, of the style of music, sometimes even the recording.

I give a further example of that. Modern Jazz. On the top, elder today, yet young at heart.
From the album Hudson the title track, 24Bit, DeJohnette Grenadier Medeski Scofield.
Here, the Empyrean displays, with leather pads, a lot of blaze of the color and more of the fun the guys had while recording this.
Yet he plays more articulate, transparent and elastic with the Velvet Pads.

What a luxurious agony of choice!

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #2,096 of 13,028
The Pad Question

I listened to the Empyrean today, for a focused and dedicated time to go further with the pad thing. And the winner is ...well, both. Sort of.

First, the leather pads are (subjectively) louder, not by much but still. So I had to calibrate for that.

The Leather Pad is without a doubt the more dynamic, lively and showy one. It is for me, for vocals (often) the given one. Except -
when you need/want more space around the singer and to have the better feeling for the voice in it's surrounding i.e. a live classical concert, then the Velvet Pad would be my choice.
But - listening to Melody Gardot, Live in Europe, 24Bit, 'Morning Sun' I would prefer the Leather One, again. Because, well, it is a bit more fun.

Let's take another of my daily beasts, Beethoven, van, Ludwig, 'Wickerl'. He composed some of his divinely stuff just several hundred meters from where I live today when downtown.
On the level where the Empyrean is, near/at the very top of the scope of what is possible today, I opted to take another piece for comparison on par with it,
Harnoncourt's last recording of the 4th Symphony Op 60, 24Bit, third movement. It was recorded (sic) in the Musikverein, Golden Hall.
The musical expressiveness and level of this recording are for eternity.
Here, to me, the Velvet Pads are superior. Significantly so.
The Empyrean plays with a wonderful combination of its strengths we love. 'Silky' comes to my mind. Especially the strings. The space around the (groups of) instruments.
The mere dimensionality and soundscape.

Well then, why are both pads winners?
Because they both play on their strengths without obvious weaknesses. It is a matter of taste, of the style of music, sometimes even the recording.

I give a further example of that. Modern Jazz. On the top, elder today, yet young at heart.
From the album Hudson the title track, 24Bit, DeJohnette Grenadier Medeski Scofield.
Here, the Empyrean displays, with leather pads, a lot of blaze of the color and more of the fun the guys had while recording this.
Yet he plays more articulate, transparent and elastic with the Velvet Pads.

What a luxurious agony of choice!

totally agree, and i think more pad configurations will be introduced in the future as its amazing how changing pads gives u 2 different signatures

i like both in different setups, totally empyrean is a versatile headphone

Jan 11, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #2,099 of 13,028
Doubt they can produce enough of these to meet demand. Good problem to have :D

20hours of CNC machining per headphone. :D a beautiful thing!

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #2,100 of 13,028
Is it easy to change the earpads on these cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back