Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 3, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #2,057 of 12,975
Not to beat a dead horse, but...

Remember that cables are passive devices. All they can do is filter. They can't add anything to the sound.
They can unfilter so you get more.

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #2,058 of 12,975
That aspect was the one that kept me from ordering the Empyrean. Last pretenders were Empyrean and HE1000se. Empyrean won all points for me, except the ear-pads are small. It is very important for me that ear-pads are very large and have big space for ears to breath. I think the larger ones are HD800 and HIFIMAN. Also I would want the pads to have large vents. I am hoping Meze will offer in the future some optional ear-pads (at extra cost) that are large and with large vents. You can call it summer or hot days pads. Even if at the sacrifice of SQ. Since Empyrean uses by far the best pad switching system, it will be very easy to switch as appropriate.
i prefer to have some "breathing room" around my ears too. while i didn't find the empyrean's ear pads uncomfortable in any way, i didn't like the "closed-in" effect. the utopia's ear pads don't have particularly large openings but i have no issue with them.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #2,059 of 12,975
https://www.headfonia.com/blog-2018-awards/2/

"Best Headphone (Price no objection): Meze Audio Empyrean"

"The headphone of the year award maybe is the one people are looking forward to most and this year it goes to the Meze Audio Empyrean! What a headphone Meze Audio have come up with! A new King is born and this is a headphone everyone will still be talking about in 20 years. The Empyrean just is incredibly good and it checks all my boxes, and then some. We’re pretty spoiled when it comes to good gear and good headphones, but this is one is extra special. Just listen to it with a good amp at home or in your office and I bet a lot of you will join #TeamEmpyrean right away. What a masterpiece."

Congratulations @MezeTeam !
He got to keep them, right? :laughing:

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #2,060 of 12,975
They can unfilter so you get more.
They can let the sound through unfettered. But they can't ADD to the sound. That was his point.

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #2,061 of 12,975

"The headphone of the year award maybe is the one people are looking forward to most and this year it goes to the Meze Audio Empyrean! What a headphone Meze Audio have come up with! A new King is born and this is a headphone everyone will still be talking about in 20 years. The Empyrean just is incredibly good and it checks all my boxes, and then some. We’re pretty spoiled when it comes to good gear and good headphones, but this is one is extra special. Just listen to it with a good amp at home or in your office and I bet a lot of you will join #TeamEmpyrean right away. What a masterpiece."

+1 (squared)

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #2,062 of 12,975
Pardon me for showing off but this is a proud moment! :grinning:
jude.JPG

this screen shot above is from: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-205#post-14634463

And happy new year to everyone!

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #2,064 of 12,975
This thread is so off topic, come on guys! Keep the empyrean comments coming and leave the off topic cable comments for another thread. (To clarify, I mean specifically cable comments related to whether they make a difference or not or how they work etc... but any other comments about which are avail for the empyrean and if you like it, that’s fine)
Sure, discuss cable options and allow people to give their opinion on the empyrean cable. The braided cable for the empyrean is out of stock til the end of this month. It’s a nice cable overall. Most of my headphones have Norne Audio cables. This does not mean a headphone is bad if I choose to upgrade the cable. I do what I want. And having a quality cable can fine tune the sound signature to one’s liking and the overall gear setup. I like the braided cable for its sharp copper satin finish. My other cables I like is the Norne Draug3 with two tone braids... black and smoke(shows through copper)... this one matches one of my empyreans. The other cable I will order soon is a Silver Draug for the other pair. I’ve tested many cables and each one has a slight different sound signature. Definitely significant when comparing to the stock cable. The meze braided cable is sharp looking with its nice connectors and splitter with the meze logos.

I view this headphone as a work of art, so definitely like to improve things aesthetically as well as sound quality to be fined tuned to my personal preference. Most cables will work just fine and what matters is if you like it yourself. For those who have aftermarket cables for their empyrean , may I ask if you could share photos of them with your empyreans? I would love to see them. Not judging, just curious is all!
I've just about to receive the Draug3 in 2,5 TRRS with the same color pattern! How do they sound?
I have also ordered the upgrade cable in 4,4 Pentaconn from Meze. I will compare both once received.

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #2,065 of 12,975
Thanks Antonio for taking time to answer. The guys at Headphoniaks told me they contacted you and I will get the card.
Just as a check I looked for the S/N and there it was
20190104_113521.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #2,066 of 12,975
I've just about to receive the Draug3 in 2,5 TRRS with the same color pattern! How do they sound?
I have also ordered the upgrade cable in 4,4 Pentaconn from Meze. I will compare both once received.

I think you'll be quite happy with the Draug3 Copper. I can imagine building that cable with a 2.5mm TRRS is a total PAIN!
But curious what you think when you compare the two. share your thoughts. :D

Jan 4, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #2,067 of 12,975

Recently auditioned the Empyrean, and after what I've heard, it is making waiting for the Copper version of the Empyrean harder to endure. Hope it will be available sooner @MezeTeam / @Antonio Meze !

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #2,068 of 12,975
i prefer to have some "breathing room" around my ears too. while i didn't find the empyrean's ear pads uncomfortable in any way, i didn't like the "closed-in" effect. the utopia's ear pads don't have particularly large openings but i have no issue with them.
With the Clear my ears don't ever touch the earpads, but even so I find there is not breathing space. I don't know if Utopia pads have the same inner dimensions. In fact, pads inner dimension is a spec I would really want to see for all headphones, but I never see specified. For example although the HIFIMAN and HD800 are large I don't know exactly how large.
But maybe more important than inner pad size could be the existence of vents in the earpads. Even the Z1R, that is closed, has some vents although not very large.

Jan 4, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #2,069 of 12,975
I heard this headphone at a recent meet and it didn't really wow me too much other than the build quality. It lacked clarity to my ears and sounded muffled. Maybe it was the pads... :p

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #2,070 of 12,975
I heard this headphone at a recent meet and it didn't really wow me too much other than the build quality. It lacked clarity to my ears and sounded muffled. Maybe it was the pads... :p

Gee, now I really will really like them. I just want something better than my Ether Flow Open. I dislike anything that sounds like the Utopia.

I like detail, but not in your face detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back