Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jan 4, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #2,071 of 12,975
Recently auditioned the Empyrean, and after what I've heard, it is making waiting for the Copper version of the Empyrean harder to endure. Hope it will be available sooner @MezeTeam / @Antonio Meze !

1+ to 10th power re copper screen version of Empyrean ... wishing/hoping to see that some day

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #2,072 of 12,975
Gee, now I really will really like them. I just want something better than my Ether Flow Open. I dislike anything that sounds like the Utopia.

I like detail, but not in your face detail.
Well?..i am quiet satisfyed with utopia now...espesially since i got my wave cables...rest of the gear is:dave,mscaler,Roon nucleus....

Jan 4, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #2,073 of 12,975
Gee, now I really will really like them. I just want something better than my Ether Flow Open. I dislike anything that sounds like the Utopia.

I like detail, but not in your face detail.
Do the instruments and voices sound real? Are the natural overtones all accounted for? Does it sound like being outside in nature? If so, it's probably the one. I just wish it was easier to audition.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #2,074 of 12,975
Do the instruments and voices sound real? Are the natural overtones all accounted for? Does it sound like being outside in nature? If so, it's probably the one. I just wish it was easier to audition.

+1, realism of instruments and voices is key for me with any headphone.

Jan 4, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #2,075 of 12,975
With the Clear my ears don't ever touch the earpads, but even so I find there is not breathing space. I don't know if Utopia pads have the same inner dimensions. In fact, pads inner dimension is a spec I would really want to see for all headphones, but I never see specified. For example although the HIFIMAN and HD800 are large I don't know exactly how large.
But maybe more important than inner pad size could be the existence of vents in the earpads. Even the Z1R, that is closed, has some vents although not very large.
i've not tried the clear but i would have thought that the ear pads are similar in size to the utopia's, if not the same. i have tried the elegia, and didn't have a problem with the size of its ear pads either (maybe my ears aren't so big after all :wink:), but it wasn't as comfortable as the utopia. i think that the soft leather covering the utopia's headband and ear pads might be the reason for that.

I heard this headphone at a recent meet and it didn't really wow me too much other than the build quality. It lacked clarity to my ears and sounded muffled. Maybe it was the pads... :p
my impression of the empyrean was similar to yours tho i wouldn't describe it as muffled

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #2,077 of 12,975
Has anyone compared the Empyrian to the Polk Buckle, B&W P3 or the NAD VISO HP30?

Jan 5, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #2,078 of 12,975
Jan 5, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #2,079 of 12,975
Think his hoping to save a little cash.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:11 PM Post #2,081 of 12,975
I've started to take some photos for my full review. 3 generations of Meze headphones.

3 generations.jpg

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #2,082 of 12,975
I thought the same rhing.

I’ll bite. I didn’t compare it to the Empyrean, but I did compare the Empyrean to the headphones that came with the Sony Playstation and it is better. :beyersmile:
What's better?

Jan 6, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #2,083 of 12,975
Jan 7, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #2,085 of 12,975
I've just about to receive the Draug3 in 2,5 TRRS with the same color pattern! How do they sound?
I have also ordered the upgrade cable in 4,4 Pentaconn from Meze. I will compare both once received.

Do let me know how the Draug 3 sounds, I love Trevor’s work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back