Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 29, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #1,336 of 12,974
Now that there will be several Empeyean owners out there - in addition to impressions of the HP itself I'd be interested to hear comparisons with different amps. I am glad to see more TOTL planars with higher efficiency coming to the market now.

It's the only way that this Planar industrie can survive lol

Nomax

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,338 of 12,974
I think i can do this later this day i have more then one unit without my bad english lol

NOMAX
Or you can send the other one to me for a review :) haha Tks, Nomax!

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #1,339 of 12,974
Didn't buy them directly from Meze, but from my Dutch dealer. I've just contacted him and he's on it. He's heavily surprised as the guys from Meze are quality freaks.
Anyway, even though I'm heavily disappointed I'm sure it will be sorted soon :)
After going some back and forth between the dealer, distributor and Meze I just got an email from Mircea that he'll send me a replacement on Monday. They will investigate how this could have happened after I've returned my unit.
For now I should try to forget about it and enjoy them :)

Edit: as I was planning to get the balanced cable too I just got an offer to get that cable with 50% for the inconvenience. Great customer service so far!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,340 of 12,974
Didn't buy them directly from Meze, but from my Dutch dealer. I've just contacted him and he's on it. He's heavily surprised as the guys from Meze are quality freaks.
Anyway, even though I'm heavily disappointed I'm sure it will be sorted soon :)

Damn--getting a dinged Empyrean just sucks enormously. Hope it gets sorted quickly.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #1,341 of 12,974
Mostly in this and similar threads, plus some conversations in the Meze room at this years London show.

In short, Meze trialled a variety of finishes on pre-production models. I'm aware of black, copper and silver for the grill colour, but there could have been more, (Black is my shorthand for a dark grey/gun metal colour that Meze clarified recently in this thread).

For the production models, Meze chose black for the first 2 runs of 500 each. They haven't stated what colour the 3rd batch will be, so some of us are putting in our votes early for copper to help them make the correct decision :)
It's only the grill that changes, not the whole headphone, so hopefully Meze will gain confidence to add different colours depending on how fast the first 2 batches sell.

When I heard this headphone & met Antonio in February, the colors were (if memory serves):
  • All silver
  • Magenta screen on silver frame
  • Gold/copper screen on black/dark grey frame (or maybe it was gold/copper screen on silver frame...?)
I think the dark-grey screen on silver frame (being shipped now) is very attractive. Hell, you could color this entire headphone lime green and it would still be gorgeous...

But my personal preference (I think--seeing it in my mind) is gold/copper screen on dark gray frame. That way the gold/copper screen + the copper slider-piece would "pop" like crazy.

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #1,342 of 12,974
When I heard this headphone & met Antonio in February, the colors were (if memory serves):
  • All silver
  • Magenta screen on silver frame
  • Gold/copper screen on black/dark grey frame (or maybe it was gold/copper screen on silver frame...?)
I think the dark-grey screen on silver frame (being shipped now) is very attractive. Hell, you could color this entire headphone lime green and it would still be gorgeous...

But my personal preference (I think--seeing it in my mind) is gold/copper screen on dark gray frame. That way the gold/copper screen + the copper slider-piece would "pop" like crazy.
I would love to meet Antonio

Nov 29, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #1,343 of 12,974
After going some back and forth between the dealer, distributor and Meze I just got an email from Mircea that he'll send me a replacement on Monday. They will investigate how this could have happened after I've returned my unit.
For now I should try to forget about it and enjoy them :)

Edit: as I was planning to get the balanced cable too I just got an offer to get that cable with 50% for the inconvenience. Great customer service so far!
Yeah, that ain't bad.

Nov 29, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,344 of 12,974
6D60E5A9-2BE4-4CE0-B35E-75EDECC6E87F.jpeg
I would love to meet Antonio

Antonio!!!

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #1,347 of 12,974
So, where are these made in ?

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,348 of 12,974
Take the Empyrean in your Hand....and tell me which munufacturer does also this great Job in Construction....Material and in Builquality?
Only our Mysphere from Austria

NOMAX

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,349 of 12,974
Facking hugo TT 2 tripping out when driving speakers direct from it, all connections right now but still tripping out, I had the Chord M scaler on order with the Empyrean headphones, I'm sending it back think it's faulty but if it can't handle driving speakers at a decent volume I'll buy the Chord TToby instead

Nov 29, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,350 of 12,974
Thank you Meze Audio, you just made me smile again. Just few words for now, as is still early days. Indeed Christmas has come earlier.
Received my pair earlier, so i wasn't able to listen much. The build quality is very high as expected, from the last time I've heard and seen them back in July. They are better then when I remember them in all aspects. Who needs a headphone stand when the included aluminium flight case is perfect and light for protecting them when traveling or not in use.
The sound is fairly neutral with lots of details, deep bass when called for. The sound overall is natural, balanced, and easily reproduced by Empyrean's unique Isodynamic Hybrid drivers. The comfort is really nice, you can barely feel them on your head.
I am planning to do more listening tonight and over the weekend and I plan to return with high quality photos and more impressions when possible. Overall I am very impressed and I will highly recommend to anybody to hear them first before purchase if you can, otherwise go ahead and order a pair. You will not regret it and I belive they all worth it, and other owners have already agreed with me pages back.
To summarise : the competition has been left far behind, quite far.

20181129_181704.jpg
20181129_181343_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back