Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 18, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #8,371 of 12,982
I just received a brand new pair of Meze Empyrean and I think I have a problem. There is a very pronounced rattle/knocking in the right ear cup that reacts to the slightest head movement. If I'm perfectly still, all is well but even the slight jaw movements that occur when swallowing causes a tick/tock knocking effect. I can induce a similar (although greatly reduced) sound in the left ear cup if I compress the ear pad against my head but not from normal head movements. So I think this is just a really bad case of the well known Planar Magnetic transducer rattle.

I was fortunate enough to have a loaner unit for an extended period and those didn't have any issues so I'm wondering if this is something that happens during break in or if this is a defect. Anyone experience something similar?

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #8,373 of 12,982
Anyone know the current cost of driver replacement on these out of warranty ?

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #8,374 of 12,982
A little update on my Empys....

So far, ive used them for about 40 hours and the sound changed a lot. It sounds more full and the voices have some depth to them. Hopefully it changes more in the mids. I am very happy with the low end as is. The mids are where this headphone lack, IMO. Hopefully by 100 hours that changes as well.

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #8,375 of 12,982
just speaking for myself, i've had these for ~2 months now (approximately).

i've enjoyed them from day 1.

i don't see huge differences between day 1 and today. it's possible that the highs were slightly more muted earlier, and they are a little more pronounced now, roughly 2 months later.

the highs continue to be non-fatiguing, a personal pet peeve (i.e. i dislike fatiguing highs!), so i'm pleased. they provide good resolution without being harsh or fatiguing.

as a long time audiophile, personally, again, i only speak for myself, i don't feel that my particular pair of Empyreans have changed sufficiently to even come close to changing my mind about how they sound (to me) from day 1 through today, now 2 months later.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #8,376 of 12,982
just speaking for myself, i've had these for ~2 months now (approximately).

i've enjoyed them from day 1.

i don't see huge differences between day 1 and today. it's possible that the highs were slightly more muted earlier, and they are a little more pronounced now, roughly 2 months later.

the highs continue to be non-fatiguing, a personal pet peeve (i.e. i dislike fatiguing highs!), so i'm pleased. they provide good resolution without being harsh or fatiguing.

as a long time audiophile, personally, again, i only speak for myself, i don't feel that my particular pair of Empyreans have changed sufficiently to even come close to changing my mind about how they sound (to me) from day 1 through today, now 2 months later.
Same here. I've owned them for 9 months so far.

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #8,380 of 12,982
Does anyone have any recommendations on a smaller travel case for these?
Per a reco from someone else I bought this and it works just fine. Not the most refined for sure but the fit and there is a pouch on the lid for cables.

Here a pic of them in the case. Not a prefect fit but works well, and the price is right :)

Attachments

• DSC03123.jpg
    DSC03123.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #8,381 of 12,982
Other way around for me. Liked them a lot in the beginning. After a while the rather muddy low-mids annoyed me. Sold them after that. Good cans. Wouldn't necessarily say not worth the money but I wanted more. But probably not worth 3 grand, tho

@cmellwig: well, since you said you "...wanted more", i went to look at your profile and was trying to see if you listed your current equipment. since you haven't listed anything, i'm curious - may i ask what you bought as a purported upgrade from the Empyreans as you said you were unhappy?

i was also unable to deduce from your other posts as to what you bought after your Empyreans, as you have zero other posts - only one post! This one!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #8,382 of 12,982
Per a reco from someone else I bought this and it works just fine. Not the most refined for sure but the fit and there is a pouch on the lid for cables.

Here a pic of them in the case. Not a prefect fit but works well, and the price is right :)
Looks like there's enough room to put them in and leave the cables attached also?

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #8,383 of 12,982
Burn in will not make a headphone to sound different.
The Empyrean is the same from day one till now.
It just improves in details that make it sound better in the long run.
Bass becomes more tight and well defined and highs even more refined and better articulated.
This post is a logicbomb.
:robot:

Dec 21, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #8,384 of 12,982
Why?
Maybe my English is bad.
I am saying that differences are quite minimal let's say but very welcomed.
Burn in for sure will not alter the frequency response.
So I someone doesn't like from the beginning will not like it in the long run.
Can't make it more clear , sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back