Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 16, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #8,341 of 12,974
Only just started listening so this will certainly change( I hope). Out of my Mini they sound slow, almost lethargic with average resolution. Soundstage is ok(better than Utopia) but not much separation yet as everything seems somewhat *thick*.
I heard there are some defective pairs around, when I heard them out of a Chord Dave and Hugo 2 they even blew the Susvaras out of the water, you should probably try running them with your Qutest. For me they sounded amazing instantly, but that was a display pair that surely had 1000s of hours of burn-in. For the resolution, I feel they are very silky with micro details, but when you listen a bit more you realize all details are there, they are just insanely smooth.

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #8,342 of 12,974
As I said...I only just started to get *familiar* with it. And I prefer the Alcantara pads as they give better clarity(no bloated bass) and slightly brighter tonality.

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #8,343 of 12,974
Only just started listening so this will certainly change( I hope). Out of my Mini they sound slow, almost lethargic with average resolution. Soundstage is ok(better than Utopia) but not much separation yet as everything seems somewhat *thick*.
For me having a norne silver draug (or any good silver cable i presume) was very important.

It was the only headphone i (more or less) HAD to eq - around +3db at 1khz.

the detail was not as apparent to me as say the utopias and hekse.

i considered the utopia and hekse as having great detail whilst the empys have (only relatively speaking) good-very good detail presented with a richness/(somewhat) lushness. The empys can be “more forgiving“ however

the hekse were much more open in layers

leather earpads were the better/clearer sounding option for me

bottom sounded muddy when using cayin iha6 but good with auralic taurus - so for me amp synergy is important (unlike the hekse). I would aasume the mini would be fine though

here’s two opposing views that, for me, are both correct

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #8,344 of 12,974
I heard there are some defective pairs around, when I heard them out of a Chord Dave and Hugo 2 they even blew the Susvaras out of the water, you should probably try running them with your Qutest. For me they sounded amazing instantly, but that was a display pair that surely had 1000s of hours of burn-in. For the resolution, I feel they are very silky with micro details, but when you listen a bit more you realize all details are there, they are just insanely smooth.
So what you are saying is when using the chord dave and hugo2 you preferred the empys over the susvaras (that would have been underpowered in that setup)?

if so, that makes sense

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #8,345 of 12,974
Have to admit that in the last few weeks I exclusively and extensively listened to the Final Audio D8000Pro and Heddphone and so my brain is looking for those sound signatures.
In a week or two I might love the Empyreans.

Dec 16, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #8,346 of 12,974
Have to admit that in the last few weeks I exclusively and extensively listened to the Final Audio D8000Pro and Heddphone and so my brain is looking for those sound signatures.
In a week or two I might love the Empyreans.
Interesting -- can you describe your impressions of Hedd vs Empy?

Thanks!

Dec 16, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #8,347 of 12,974
Interesting -- can you describe your impressions of Hedd vs Empy?

Thanks!
Need more time with the Empyreans but the Heddphone I enjoyed from the very first moment whereas the Empyreans left me unimpressed.
Heddphone has better clarity and wider and deeper soundstage. Most of all it is totally addictive the way it presents the music.
The Heddphone I bought new from Hedd/Germany and it blossomed with burn in...brain or else...even more.
Most of all it is down to personal preference of course.

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #8,348 of 12,974
Should this thread be moved to summit fi forum?

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #8,349 of 12,974
Need more time with the Empyreans but the Heddphone I enjoyed from the very first moment whereas the Empyreans left me unimpressed.
Heddphone has better clarity and wider and deeper soundstage. Most of all it is totally addictive the way it presents the music.
The Heddphone I bought new from Hedd/Germany and it blossomed with burn in...brain or else...even more.
Most of all it is down to personal preference of course.

How is HEDD compared to your abyss and lcd4? Is the bass fairly thin ? What about vs Empy?

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #8,350 of 12,974
Dec 17, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #8,351 of 12,974
How is HEDD compared to your abyss and lcd4? Is the bass fairly thin ? What about vs Empy?
The 1266 bass is otherworldly and Lcd4 has good quality slam. Hedd bass is very good and a level above Utopia( from memory as I have sold the Utopias) but not as good as 1266 or Lcd4.
Would be unfair to compare it to the Empyrean as I still have to get used to the latter.

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #8,352 of 12,974
The 1266 bass is otherworldly and Lcd4 has good quality slam. Hedd bass is very good and a level above Utopia( from memory as I have sold the Utopias) but not as good as 1266 or Lcd4.
Would be unfair to compare it to the Empyrean as I still have to get used to the latter.
Do you own LCD4 and Empyrean at the same time?

If so can you give me a comparison especially from the Bass, after you got used to it?

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:53 AM Post #8,354 of 12,974
It's the same thing with all bright headphones.
The impress at the beginning , they sound spectacular and after you have bought them and live with them you just realise that are out of tune.
Empyrean are the other way around.
For the same reason I have a huge interest in the T+A Solitaire P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back