Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #8,356 of 12,984
Very interesting and eye wateringly expensive!
Depends on the Region.
As I am from germany it is still slightly cheaper than the other flagships

Dec 17, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #8,358 of 12,984
I guess that you can easily find a demo unit after the lockdown is over.
I actually will get a loaner unit for listening at home.

In preparation I ordered an adapter for my Norne Vykari, so that it will be a fair Assessment

Dec 17, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #8,361 of 12,984
Solitare P sounds quite nice, sound stage is really good, the only problem for me is that they have some kind of veil in their tonality, which is very strange as I don’t miss any details on them.
Also cable connector is quite special.
Regarding HEDD and their sound stage on the unit which I checked there was almost no depth, otherwise quite good headphone.

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #8,362 of 12,984
Speaking of HEDD, how much power are you guys using compared to the Meze? I heard HEDD needed quite a bit of power ~1-2w

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #8,363 of 12,984
So what you are saying is when using the chord dave and hugo2 you preferred the empys over the susvaras (that would have been underpowered in that setup)?

if so, that makes sense
Yeah, I dialed the Susvaras up to -1 dB, thought since it's still below 0 it's fine. How can I see its underpowered?

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #8,364 of 12,984
Yeah, I dialed the Susvaras up to -1 dB, thought since it's still below 0 it's fine. How can I see its underpowered?

Its probably not simply a volume thing. The susvara needs the real current drive to truly reveal its full potential. I would not evaluate susvara off dave or hugo.

Dec 17, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #8,365 of 12,984
Its probably not simply a volume thing. The susvara needs the real current drive to truly reveal its full potential. I would not evaluate susvara off dave or hugo.
Especially since the susvara just keeps scaling.
There is still an improvement from powerful headamps to speakeramps.

Dec 17, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #8,366 of 12,984
The 1266 bass is otherworldly and Lcd4 has good quality slam. Hedd bass is very good and a level above Utopia( from memory as I have sold the Utopias) but not as good as 1266 or Lcd4.
Would be unfair to compare it to the Empyrean as I still have to get used to the latter.

Disclaimers for my perspective: I've only heard Klipsch HP-3s and the Empyreans for higher end HP's

Indeed you should have some patience with the Empy as I'm sure you've read. Coming from the v shaped HP3's I frowned immediately when I first heard them, disappointed in the treble and detail. Since working from home during covid I've spent many days with them on for hours at a time and the consistent theme for me is the longer I wear them the better they sound and never once did I find them fatiguing, physically or sonically. Most of that time they were driven from a biforst2 -> Lyr3 chain. I recently upgraded to a Feliks Euforia AE amp and wow what a difference. They are just a different headphone on that amp. Better detail, treble, bass all around. I do have upgraded power tubes as well.

The moral here is they are very versatile IMO and respond very well to better amplification. I can get great sound with all day listenability out of a Lyr3 or even an Micro IDSD BL. If I want very detailed and more treble intensity I plug them into the Euforia.

Dec 18, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #8,367 of 12,984
New Headphone Couch for my Empyrean. :)
20201218_100437.jpg

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #8,369 of 12,984
@ThanatosVI: in actual use, do you find this headphones holder's asymmetric configuration to be ok? i saw that and that gave me pause...haven't bought it yet due to that reason.
I received it just today, I will tell you when I had it a while.
First impression ls that it is ok, and it looks just beautiful

Dec 18, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #8,370 of 12,984
I received it just today, I will tell you when I had it a while.
First impression ls that it is ok, and it looks just beautiful

i couldn't understand why Meze would make it asymmetrical. it seems counter-intuitive to me. doesn't make sense.

then again, as the headphones aren't that heavy, maybe the small amount of extra pressure on one ear pad won't negatively impact that one side's resiliency. hard to tell.

i was just thinking that for a company that designed the Empyreans to be so ergonomically comfortable, and even their tension for the headphones going up and down (those round rods' tension) was adjusted just right, you'd think that they would think long and hard before making something that ought to be symmetrical asymmetrical! right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back