Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
May 13, 2024 at 6:30 AM Post #12,976 of 13,028
I have Empyreans bought and on their way from another headfi member, but without balanced cables which I need.

I have great balanced cables on Meze Liric which have 3.5 mm plugs. Have anyone used 3.5 mm -> mini xlr adapters? Should I go for them or just buy another balanced cable?

-J
Best to use a dedicated mini-xlr cables on the headphone side IMO.

What is the termination you need on the Amp side?

May 13, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #12,978 of 13,028
I have the SPC Meze cable terminated in 4 pin xlr has sat in a drawer for a while. Be warned I don’t like the Meze / Rean mini xlr connectors as they can be tight to take off.

Let me know if you want it

Whether to go balanced depends if you have adequate power out of the 3.5 from your source?

May 13, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #12,979 of 13,028
I have the SPC Meze cable terminated in 4 pin xlr has sat in a drawer for a while. Be warned I don’t like the Meze / Rean mini xlr connectors as they can be tight to take off.

Let me know if you want it

Whether to go balanced depends if you have adequate power out of the 3.5 from your source?
Thank you! I send you pms.

I have IFi iCan Pro + SMSL SU-9 Ultra with balanced chain.

May 13, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #12,980 of 13,028
Thanks for the prompt reply!

4.4 mm or 4-pin XLR.
I may sell my Lavricables Grand XLR which is why I asked 🤔

Yes the Meze Silver Plated are good alternatives but can be a little tight on the headphone side. The one I had was. I think they have a coating on them (headphone side).

No such issue with the Meze Copper though.

May 13, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #12,981 of 13,028
I have Empyreans bought and on their way from another headfi member, but without balanced cables which I need.

I have great balanced cables on Meze Liric which have 3.5 mm plugs. Have anyone used 3.5 mm -> mini xlr adapters? Should I go for them or just buy another balanced cable?

-J
I used adapters for a while but found them uncomfortable since they hit my shoulders. It depends on the barrel length how you feel about it.

May 13, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #12,984 of 13,028
May 14, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #12,985 of 13,028

-J
I'd just get the right cable. I've never found an adapter to sound the same as a straight connection.

May 14, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #12,986 of 13,028
May 14, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #12,987 of 13,028
Problem is, that I can't order from them to czech republic. Where they are from?
I had to buy cable from forza audioworks from poland, it is good but crazy heavy.
They are from Latvia.

Forza ones are also meant to be very good. I guess there must be quite a few cores in it if it's heavy.

As mentioned to others I was only looking at selling as it's terminated as XLR and I don't use the Empyreans on the Envy any more. Susvara has displaced them in that setup.

With an XLR to 3.5mm adapter (also Grand) the cable is very bulky at the end.

I am going to get these in a few weeks:

https://toxic-cables.co.uk/product/silver-poison-occ-cryo-stranded-silvergold-headphone-cable/

I'll report back on how they sound as they are a lot cheaper. I've not heard them yet of course.

May 14, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #12,989 of 13,028
I’ve gone from underwhelmed to overwhelmed. What an impressive piece of audio gear!

Leather pads are back on. Did some surgical EQ across the spectrum and these bad boys are producing sound as good as six figure two channel systems. They thoroughly school my poor Mest 2 along every dimension - sound stage, timbre, localization, coherency, dynamics, musicality.

Still in a burn in phase, and I’m sure there are small EQ tweaks left (i sense I’m 90% there), but these headphones are everything I hoped they would be. C9 is driving them better - a lot of my concern was the recessed upper mids and treble which can be easily tweaked and everything opens up.

Most importantly, the chills have returned. That’s my measuring stick when it sounds right.

What's your EQ profile for these? I just got a pair, and I'm impressed right out of the box, but I'm curious to try some EQing, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back