Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 11, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #811 of 12,982
Yeah I agree. The bass was just incredible. I wouldn't want to compare various parts of the Empyrean with other earphones to be honest. The synergy of all the component parts made up the Empyrean as a whole and I wouldn't want to start stripping it apart like I can other earphones. The thing the Empyrean does well....... is play music. And people are already taking a gamble and buying without hearing.

The second coming of the legendary run the HD650 had? Highly musical, coherant, detailed. natural... but far more advanced in technology, comfortable, well made and not stupidly heavy. Must be a magical experience listening to the Empyrean.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #812 of 12,982
What I enjoy most about the HEK V2 is it’s 3D sound stage. I am not sure how accurate instrument or performer placement is compared to a live performance but the air and spacious ambience is better than any HP I have heard to date. That out of head experience that gives a loudspeaker presentation but with more intimate micro dynamics is what I am after. To that end, would the narrower sound stage of the HEK se be a disappointment? Is the new Meze Empyrean even better than the HEK V2 in this regard. So would I be better off upgrading to HEK se or Empyrean from my HEK V2?

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #813 of 12,982
Is the new Meze Empyrean even better than the HEK V2 in this regard. So would I be better off upgrading to HEK se or Empyrean from my HEK V2?

In my opinion anyone will be better off upgrading their headphone to the Empyrean if they want to forget about their equipment and start enjoying their music. Yes the focal utopia is exceptionally good, caveat it needs synergy with a matching source. Yeah LCD4 and 4z is an incredible headphone but it needs synergy with a matching source. Yes Empyrean is an incredible but it ......oh no it doesn't, it just sounds thoroughly enjoyable regardless of source.

As I said previously it's not a headphone I can easily take apart and say I wish it had more of that or less of that.....As a complete entity it just works. On and it's comfy and looks stunning. Icing on the cake.

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #814 of 12,982
In my opinion anyone will be better off upgrading their headphone to the Empyrean if they want to forget about their equipment and start enjoying their music. Yes the focal utopia is exceptionally good, caveat it needs synergy with a matching source. Yeah LCD4 and 4z is an incredible headphone but it needs synergy with a matching source. Yes Empyrean is an incredible but it ......oh no it doesn't, it just sounds thoroughly enjoyable regardless of source.

As I said previously it's not a headphone I can easily take apart and say I wish it had more of that or less of that.....As a complete entity it just works. On and it's comfy and looks stunning. Icing on the cake.

Talk like that is going to destroy my wallet...

Nov 12, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #815 of 12,982

But does that mean that the empyrean wont to scale well. If I have a great chain to support it will I be rewarded with more performance?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #816 of 12,982
But does that mean that the empyrean want to scale well. If I have a great chain to support it will I be rewarded with more performance?

I went from the benchmark hpa4 to the Hugo TT2+Mscaler to the Dave. All had discernible differences with benchmark to chord hugott2 being the biggest jump in performance.

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #819 of 12,982
can i ask, is the clamping force loose or like audeze headphones, as I dislike headphones that have loose clamping force. I sold my zmf atticus because of the loose clamping force. I do not want such an expensive headphone to fall of my head if i bend down. I really like audeze clamping force

Nov 13, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #821 of 12,982
can i ask, is the clamping force loose or like audeze headphones, as I dislike headphones that have loose clamping force. I sold my zmf atticus because of the loose clamping force. I do not want such an expensive headphone to fall of my head if i bend down. I really like audeze clamping force

Expect to feel very little clamping force as the suspension band supports the headphone in place. The thick earpads also mean that the any "force" is dissipated in the earpads. These are not b&w p7 luckily.

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #823 of 12,982
The clamping force is minimal, thanks to the clever headband design. The earpads also are really nice made of genuine leather. They are very comfortable for a 430 gr headphones, you could barely feel they are in your head. The magnets used are very powerful and also they keep the earpads in place.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #824 of 12,982
The clamping force is minimal, thanks to the clever headband design. The earpads also are really nice made of genuine leather. They are very comfortable for a 420 gr headphones, you could barely feel they are in your head.

Have you heard the final tuning on these already? If so, some impressions/comparisons would be most welcome!

Nov 13, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #825 of 12,982
Have you heard the final tuning on these already? If so, some impressions/comparisons would be most welcome!
Sorry i haven't, so not sure if that was the last sound tuning before shipping. In July was the last time i heard them and they were already fantastic, very detailed, neural with huge soundstage and a deep low end bass. I wouldn't change anything about them. Really like the sound paired directly with Dave, and that's a combo that i can live with for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back