Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #826 of 12,975
My colleague attended the Hi-Fi Show Windsor-London last weekend, he listened to Meze Empyrean being run from the top Benchmark combo DAC/AMP (DAC3 + HPA4). I believe he liked its performance but in overall wasn't that very excited ('sounded ok') so proper matching might actually be very important.

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #827 of 12,975
My colleague attended the Hi-Fi Show Windsor-London last weekend, he listened to Meze Empyrean being run from the top Benchmark combo DAC/AMP (DAC3 + HPA4). I believe he liked its performance but in overall wasn't that very excited ('sounded ok') so proper matching might actually be very important.
Is normal that not all high end headphones out there at any price point, will satisfy everyone.Really depends, what type of sound you are after, comfort etc.
For me this is the best non- electrostatic headphone period. And the design being original and all the high end materials used are a big bonus.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #828 of 12,975
Is normal that not all high end headphones out there at any price point, will satisfy everyone.Really depends, what type of sound you are after, comfort etc.
For me this is the best non- electrostatic headphone period. And the design being original and all the high end materials used are a big bonus.
But you would take 009 and a good amp over it and the right amp ?

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #829 of 12,975
can i ask, is the clamping force loose or like audeze headphones, as I dislike headphones that have loose clamping force. I sold my zmf atticus because of the loose clamping force. I do not want such an expensive headphone to fall of my head if i bend down. I really like audeze clamping force

We payed a lot of attention to clamping force and did 50-60 of headband iterations (literally) until we managed to make sure it's just right.
One of the requirements was for the headphone to not fall of when you lean forward or backwards 90 degrees, such as leaning to pick-up something or laying down on your sofa with either leather or alcantara earpads.
At the same time, the clamping force is not as strong as of other brands mentioned above.

I don't expect anyone to need different types of clamping force. Still. For those with extreme requirements... once you have the Empyrean and are really sure you want it looser or tighter, we can maybe make a 1 pcs custom carbon headband just for you.

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com
Nov 13, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #830 of 12,975
So what's the colours? Black,gold,silver and gunmetal is that right? I've read somewhere but can't find it now that Meze audio will be making more than 500 now? If they sell well and make a profit why limit production to 500, seems madness to me

Nov 13, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #831 of 12,975
We payed a lot of attention to clamping force and did 50-60 of headband iterations (literally) until we managed to make sure it's just right.
One of the requirements was for the headphone to not fall of when you lean forward or backwards 90 degrees, such as leaning to pick-up something or laying down on your sofa with either leather or alcantara earpads.
At the same time, the clamping force is not as strong as of other brands mentioned above.

I don't expect anyone to need different types of clamping force. Still. For those with extreme requirements... once you have the Empyrean and are really sure you want it looser or tighter, we can maybe make a 1 pcs custom carbon headband just for you.
Now that's great customer service

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #832 of 12,975

The type of attention to customers that should be standard in this price range, spot-on! Harkens back to the Sony Qualio-010 (no personal experience, I'm too young for that).

Nov 14, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #833 of 12,975

can I ask, how would that be done, I am planning to buy one from our dealer where I live, and what if I find the head band needs more clamping force, I know for the majority it will be fine, but then there are cases were some have a smaller head and what is perfect for most could be not that great to the minority. I really do not want to loose on buying a great headphone but reading that few people mentioned its clamping force was a bit loose, got me worried. I bought the zmf atticus and it was a nightmare to handle such a loose headband despite the attempts by ZMF to tell me to bend that headband but it never worked. If you can explain how you can address this it would be great taking in consideration that for me for example I will buy it locally from a dealer, so I hope that this can be achieved without shipping the headphones to you and then have to deal with customs locally

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #835 of 12,975
But you would take 009 and a good amp over it and the right amp ?
Nope, that's for sure and let me explain why. For my music taste, comfort and style I prefer the Empyrean. Is such a different looking headphone and it can reproduce a fast, yet natural deep bass, while remaining a neutral headphone. Being able to replace the ear pads in a second and having real leather on my head for me is something really worthy. For example 009, 009S don't have removable ear pads and they are not made of genuine leather.
So to keep it short, Empyrean + Dave = winning combo.

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #836 of 12,975

That is really awesome of you guys. Sounds like a company I want to do business with.

Nov 14, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #837 of 12,975
I had auditioned adx5k, utopia and HE-1 on same day.
Still waiting for my dealer to get empyrean for demo. He has already preordered.

Nov 14, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #839 of 12,975

Users who are viewing this thread

Back