Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #4,171 of 12,984
I’m using a Lazuli Reference. I love it. Sold both Forza and Norne Draugh 3 after getting it.

Moon Silver cable’s?? I don’t get the love for them. I think all of their cables are lousy sounding. No offense. Just my opinion.

Yes I've heard some don't really like the moon audio cables. No offense taken.

I had a look at the danacables but wasn't sure I wanted to splurge *that much on cables. They are very well reviewed and regarded I must say...

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #4,173 of 12,984
My personal favorite cable I’ve used with empyrean is the Norne Audio Silverguard3 textile.
Also I have the stock cable of course, and the copper braided meze audio upgrade (not spc). Also sg3C cable I’ve tried.
Maybe will post some photos of the configuration I chose, but it’s a long 8ft like all the cables I order. The sg3t is a perfect compliment to the sound signature imo.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #4,174 of 12,984
Thanks for chiming in. I had the Norne SolvX for my audeze and hd650 but ended up replacing them with Silver Dragons which I felt sounded better overall.. I had not considered Norne again until u mentioned them. Will check out the Silverguards.
Of course, I had a black dragon cable for my HD 800s and loved how much a difference the cable made there. If you look into the Silverguarde email Trevor, there are a ton of options for aesthetics and he has a ton of examples etc.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #4,175 of 12,984
Ah thanks for that. Between your silver dragon and lavricable which one did u prefer?...
I really can't compare the two, since I'm using the Silver Dragon with a desktop rig and the Lavricable with my DAPs. I will say that they're probably pretty close.
...Curious, in your sig you went with a copper cable for your utopia. Is that the danacable?
Yes and no :)

Yes, I use the Lazuli Ref cable with my Utopia via my desktop system. But...

No, the line in my sig about Utopia/copper cable refers to my portable rig, where I use a LQI cables OCC copper cable. Laz Ref is way too bulky to use with a DAP, even if I had one which is appropriately terminated.

I’m using a Lazuli Reference. I love it. Sold both Forza and Norne Draugh 3 after getting it.

Moon Silver cable’s?? I don’t get the love for them. I think all of their cables are lousy sounding. No offense. Just my opinion.
Doesn't sound like you've tried any silver cable with Empy. Setting aside your dislike of Moon cables, I find I prefer Empy with both my silver cables (Silver Dragon & Lavricable) vs copper I've tried (Laz Ref, ZMF Atmos C, ArcticCables OCC, ZMF stock copper cable).

That said, I think you and I have different tastes/preferences in sound sig. You posted earlier that you 'detest' Utopia and called Empy '...the best headphones...' To my ears, 'perfect' is somewhere in-between the two, perhaps a bit closer to Utopia. So Laz Ref 'softens' Utopia a bit, while silver cables perk Empy up a bit.

=+=+=+=

As always, remember that cables are passive devices, which can't add information, only selectively filter.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #4,176 of 12,984
I really can't compare the two, since I'm using the Silver Dragon with a desktop rig and the Lavricable with my DAPs. I will say that they're probably pretty close.

Yes and no :)

Yes, I use the Lazuli Ref cable with my Utopia via my desktop system. But...

No, the line in my sig about Utopia/copper cable refers to my portable rig, where I use a LQI cables OCC copper cable. Laz Ref is way too bulky to use with a DAP, even if I had one which is appropriately terminated.

Doesn't sound like you've tried any silver cable with Empy. Setting aside your dislike of Moon cables, I find I prefer Empy with both my silver cables (Silver Dragon & Lavricable) vs copper I've tried (Laz Ref, ZMF Atmos C, ArcticCables OCC, ZMF stock copper cable).

That said, I think you and I have different tastes/preferences in sound sig. You posted earlier that you 'detest' Utopia and called Empy '...the best headphones...' To my ears, 'perfect' is somewhere in-between the two, perhaps a bit closer to Utopia. So Laz Ref 'softens' Utopia a bit, while silver cables perk Empy up a bit.

=+=+=+=

As always, remember that cables are passive devices, which can't add information, only selectively filter.

Sure I did. Trevor sent me the S3 Silvergarde. Had it for a few weeks. I was never a silver fan, and after using that I’m still not a silver fan. Not enough weight for one. The Lazuli Reference is in another league.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #4,177 of 12,984
Sure I did. Trevor sent me the S3 Silvergarde. Had it for a few weeks. I was never a silver fan, and after using that I’m still not a silver fan. Not enough weight for one...
Sorry, my mistake - didn't see it mentioned.
...The Lazuli Reference is in another league.
I absolutely agree for my Utopia -- way better than any other cables I've tried with them.

For me, Laz Ref/Empy pairing, doesn't work. I think that's back to personal preferences. Laz Ref accentuates the negatives I hear from Empy. Same way the WyWires Platinum accentuated Utopia negatives for me. A very good cable, but I just didn't like the Utopia/Platinum pairing. Wish I still had it to try with Empy :)

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #4,178 of 12,984
Sorry, my mistake - didn't see it mentioned.

I absolutely agree for my Utopia -- way better than any other cables I've tried with them.

For me, Laz Ref/Empy pairing, doesn't work. I think that's back to personal preferences. Laz Ref accentuates the negatives I hear from Empy. Same way the WyWires Platinum accentuated Utopia negatives for me. A very good cable, but I just didn't like the Utopia/Platinum pairing. Wish I still had it to try with Empy :)

Actually you didn't miss it. I hadn't mentioned it.

I can see what you're getting at with the cable comparisons. This is a great example of personal preferences. The negatives the you see with pairing the Lazuli Reference and the Empyrean's is a positive to me. If something sounds laid back and warm, then give me more. LOL.

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #4,179 of 12,984
Out of curiosity, is there anyone happy and content with the stock cable (as far as sound goes)?

I did experiment with upgrade cables with previous headphones (LCD2, HEXV2) and found that the sonic difference (improvement?) is minimal. Even with a £330+ silver cable from Toxic which I owned. I find it very hard to justify £200+ for a cable only.

I did have other upgrade cables too but mostly for ergonomics and not really for sound quality. A nice braided cable under/around £100 did it for me.
Paying £400-800 for a cable which alters (improves?) the sound by maybe 5% is questionable value to me, especially if you play 'lucky dip' with the sound you actually get.

I am not indenting to open a cable debate here, I know all arguments very well on both sides.
I am simply curious if there are some people who are content with the stock cable. Many thanks.

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #4,181 of 12,984
Out of curiosity, is there anyone happy and content with the stock cable (as far as sound goes)?

I did experiment with upgrade cables with previous headphones (LCD2, HEXV2) and found that the sonic difference (improvement?) is minimal. Even with a £330+ silver cable from Toxic which I owned. I find it very hard to justify £200+ for a cable only.

I did have other upgrade cables too but mostly for ergonomics and not really for sound quality. A nice braided cable under/around £100 did it for me.
Paying £400-800 for a cable which alters (improves?) the sound by maybe 5% is questionable value to me, especially if you play 'lucky dip' with the sound you actually get.

I am not indenting to open a cable debate here, I know all arguments very well on both sides.
I am simply curious if there are some people who are content with the stock cable. Many thanks.
The stock cable I received is Single-Ended, and all my gear is balanced, so I haven't tried the stock cable at all. I already had some balanced cables for my Auteur, so I just tried all of those, and the Silver Dragon won.

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #4,182 of 12,984
Out of curiosity, is there anyone happy and content with the stock cable (as far as sound goes)?.

The stock cable is acceptable for sound quality, I did hear a difference with my upgrade and it was worth it to me. Aside from sound quality, the ergonomics of the stock cable is unacceptable in my opinion. Can you live with it, yes. But for a headphone this expensive the cable shouldnt have the ergonomic flaws it does.

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #4,183 of 12,984
...I can see what you're getting at with the cable comparisons. This is a great example of personal preferences. The negatives the you see with pairing the Lazuli Reference and the Empyrean's is a positive to me...
Yep, that's the whole 'your ears, my ears' thing. What sounds 'just right' to one person is distasteful to someone else. If you hang around the Utopia thread for a while you'll read wildly varying opinions -- everything from:

Best headphones ever and it's not even close

to

I hate them, couldn't listen to them for 5 minutes
...If something sounds laid back and warm, then give me more. LOL.
When I was first rolling tubes in my Liquid Platinum, trying to find the 'right' tubes for Empy, I found that some tubes were too 'tubey' for me. I posted that apparently I like my sound damp, not wet :)

Anyway, as the French would say: Vive la différence

Cheers!

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #4,184 of 12,984
Quite a few Lavricables owners here - the one thing that has me hesitant is the reports that these cables are VERY stiff... can anyone owning the Master or Grand line cables comment on whether this is a noticeable issue? Reason I am asking is that they are close to where I live and the prices seem pretty reasonable.

Jul 6, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #4,185 of 12,984
Quite a few Lavricables owners here - the one thing that has me hesitant is the reports that these cables are VERY stiff... can anyone owning the Master or Grand line cables comment on whether this is a noticeable issue? Reason I am asking is that they are close to where I live and the prices seem pretty reasonable.

I have the Grand Line lavricable for my Focal Utopia. 10ft length. They are very well made, extremely light, and flexible. I do not find them stiff in any way.

I'd say my old Senn HD650 zu mobius cable and zu oxyfuel interconnects are like 1000x stiffer..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back