Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 7, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #4,201 of 12,974
Thanks for your impressions, they are very similar to mine. I really enjoy both the Empyrean and also the Utopia. I also agree with you that the Abyss 1266 offers some positives of both Empyrean and Utopia. However, I would never get an Abyss instead of both Empyrean und Utopia. The Abyss 1266 is indeed a very good sounding heaphone, but it does not sound so much "better" imo, just different. But it is considerably more expensive, needs a much more powerful (=more expensive) amp, is much heavier, with bad ergonomics and - at least imo - is ugly too. In this regard, both Empyrean and Utopia are in a different league.
Just relistened to the Abyss 1266 yesterday vs the 4z and Utopia. While they are better in many regards they are not imo the be all and end all in headphones. I would take two good headphones over them any day. I would buy the Empyrean and Utopia or Empyrean and Arya over the Abyss alone.

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #4,202 of 12,974
Yes, indeed, the abyss 1266 is really one of the more unpleasant looking headphones. One consolation is that if I did own them, I'd probably be the only one to see them. Although heavy, I did not find them at all uncomfortable to wear. There was actually very little clamp pressure, likely due to the stiff metal overhang preventing the ear pieces from angling inwards towards the head.
One way I can describe my listening experience with the abyss is, the headphones seemed to disappear, leaving only the music. Truly similar to a speaker experience.

I agree with u that with the abyss, a lot funds have to be poured in with regards to the headphones themselves and supporting equipment. I guess that's part of the game of chasing ones perceived sonic perfection.

Having said that, owning the Empyrean and Utopia are certainly quite enjoyable as well. Getting to switch between two very different sounds can get quite interesting too.
That goes to show how experiences can be so different. I adjusted the 1266 to many angles and still found them very clampy on my big head. Even more so than the 4z......and Audeze’s are know to have high clamp pressure. I actually find my HEK SE’s to disappear more than the Abyss. The Abyss do have a deeper soundstage though. I would take the Susvara all day over the Abyss.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #4,204 of 12,974
How does empyrean compare with lcd-4z? I am interested in both, sorry for asking, this thread is too long.
I've listened to the LCD 4, 4z etc. I did side by side auditions of the LCD 4 vs empyrean before purchase. Imo the empyrean was ahead of the 4z in all aspects, detail retrieval bass quality/quantity, and treble with more lifelike mids. To me the empyrean has a wider soundstage and a much more comfortable fit than any audeze headphone (and a more comfortable fit than most any headphones). The 4z may be a little more of a balanced/neutural sound signature with the empyreans having a bit of a bass hump, but not too much to be a negative. The really big difference to me is that the 4z and even the lcd4 to me are not near as enjoyable to listen to music with. The empyrean sounds so much more life like and realistic, instruments sound as they should. Again my own impressions but I suggest listening to them both as both have a good following for their own reasons.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #4,205 of 12,974
How does empyrean compare with lcd-4z? I am interested in both, sorry for asking, this thread is too long.

Just relistened to the 4z, but didn't have a chance to direct compare the two. From what I remember the 4z is a little more resolving while the Empy's are better balanced. The 4z bass is more impactful and accurate while the Meze has more extended highs and does not have that bad, classic Audeze upper midrange dip. I myself am in the same position trying to decide between the two and also the Verite, which I have not heard yet. I am leaning to the Empyrean, because they probably have the best overall tonal balance I have heard on a headphone.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #4,206 of 12,974
They are both very good headphones, so I recommend to audition them before you decide.

LCD4: heavy, perhaps a little more resolving, with a little better, cleaner bass. Needs a lot of power. Upper mids and treble lack some air.

Empy: lighter, more comfortable, very efficient. Bass is almost as good as LCD4, mids are more alive and lifelike, treble has more air.

Out of the two the LCD4 perhaps is a bit more neutral, Empy is more engaging and 'musical'.

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #4,207 of 12,974
They are both very good headphones, so I recommend to audition them before you decide.

LCD4: heavy, perhaps a little more resolving, with a little better, cleaner bass. Needs a lot of power. Upper mids and treble lack some air.

Empy: lighter, more comfortable, very efficient. Bass is almost as good as LCD4, mids are more alive and lifelike, treble has more air.

Out of the two the LCD4 perhaps is a bit more neutral, Empy is more engaging and 'musical'.

He was talking about the 4z which is much easier driven, I'm not sure about more resolving. I thought there was a slightly veiled sound from the lcd4z compared to the 4, the 4z is definitely more neutural sounding than the empyrean though.

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #4,209 of 12,974

I compared both over multiple visits to a demoroom :) The 4z had better resolution, especially in the base and treble, but the Empyrean was somewhat close.
The Empy had a fair bit wider soundstage, while being a little bit worse in imaging. The 4z has more of a giant globe type of sound that had a nice verticallity to it.
Now comfort and build was miles better on the empyrean.

Really up to preference.. i was awestruck by the resolution om the audeze, so i went with that one..

Jul 8, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #4,210 of 12,974
He was talking about the 4z which is much easier driven, I'm not sure about more resolving. I thought there was a slightly veiled sound from the lcd4z compared to the 4, the 4z is definitely more neutral sounding than the empyrean though.

I had the 4z once and stuck with the 4 for the same reason. I thought I was imagining the "slightly veiled sound", but seems like I'm not the only person who hears that from the 4z. It's still a great headphone, but if you have the amp to run the 4 and don't mind the weight, for the same price, might as well go for the better sounding (and looking) LCD-4.

Never heard the Empyrean though, so just wanted to chime in about the LCD-4z :o2smile:

Jul 8, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #4,211 of 12,974
I compared both over multiple visits to a demoroom :) The 4z had better resolution, especially in the base and treble, but the Empyrean was somewhat close.
The Empy had a fair bit wider soundstage, while being a little bit worse in imaging. The 4z has more of a giant globe type of sound that had a nice verticallity to it.
Now comfort and build was miles better on the empyrean.

Really up to preference.. i was awestruck by the resolution om the audeze, so i went with that one..
I'm not sure if you used leather pad or Alcantra one. But Imaging is much better and precise with leather pad

Jul 9, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #4,212 of 12,974
I tried and compared both, empyrean with Alcantara pads and LCD4Z, both with their stock cable.

48A0C309-19F1-4E61-9DA2-E193DA3800DC.jpeg
7E02FA16-FA65-41E6-BE0A-E8B568194DEF.jpeg
4E37E05C-7AA8-4BE0-BCC5-3625CD117A70.jpeg

Both are great headphones and easy to drive.
I think the Empyrean have a better soundstage, better bass and slam. The sound is very smooth and detailled and I like it tuning. The Lcd4Z is perhaps more neutral, bright and clear. It is more heavy with more clamping for long listening sessions.

About the Empyrean the association with the Dana Lazuli cable and the Formula S amplifier is one of the best listened for a long, long time.

A2A49D78-D96E-4815-B6BF-875947BB99AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #4,213 of 12,974
I had the 4z once and stuck with the 4 for the same reason. I thought I was imagining the "slightly veiled sound", but seems like I'm not the only person who hears that from the 4z. It's still a great headphone, but if you have the amp to run the 4 and don't mind the weight, for the same price, might as well go for the better sounding (and looking) LCD-4.

Never heard the Empyrean though, so just wanted to chime in about the LCD-4z :o2smile:

My thoughts exactly, if the Empyrean doesn't become an option, then go for the LCD-4 and the neck workout that comes with it! :) its just my opinion so take it for what it is, but the LCD-4z seems to be over priced for what you get sound wise... there is a huge difference in sound between it and the LCD-4.

Jul 9, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #4,215 of 12,974
I asked them to use Furutech mini XLR so the quality and fit is great. I don't suppose you would notice any difference of you went with Neutrik or similar though I just fancied going for the best.

If you are located in US, maybe plussound is a convenient choice, their mXLR plug is priced at U$10 each, quite reasonabe when compared with other aftermarket cable brands.

http://plussoundaudio.com/diy/connectors.html

134112_e76da4e419f5590d94f6089ca0c547a9_orig.jpg

Meze Audio Design. Comfort. Sound. True audio. Stay updated on Meze Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/mezeaudio https://twitter.com/mezeaudio https://www.instagram.com/mezeaudio/ https://www.mezeaudio.com/ marketing@mezeaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back