Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Jul 3, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #4,156 of 12,974
To me detaching the cable each time is completely out of the question. Even with my Clear that uses easier to connect 3.5mm plugs, it is out of the question.
Therefore the Empyrean case (as it comes) is completely useless to me, as it is the Clear case. However the Empyrean case can be corrected by changing the foam inside, while with the Clear case that is not possible.
However the problem is not only keeping the cables attached, but also keeping the pivots position (set for our head size), which are even more difficult to reset and set each time.
Additionally even with the pivot fully retracted, if we are not very careful, the golden pivot can touch the case hinge and get scratched. It should not be so close to the hinge.
So for all these 3 reasons the foam cutting is not appropriate. So much space inside the case wasted and there is no adequate space for the actual headphone in ready to use state. Fortunately this is fixable by replacing the foam.
The case was made for transportation and not for storage purposes I guess. However playing with the foam is a good option though.
I myself will be happy with my omega headphone stand which I think provides enough dust protection as the cups are sealed on the stand. And I don't even have to worry about resetting the pivots.

Jul 3, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #4,159 of 12,974
Yes, the mini XLR are indeed solid. I do, however, wish that they were a little easier to disconnect from the Empy's. I have a Norne S3 cable ordered and hope their mini xlr's are a bit easier to remove. Small gripe for an otherwise fantastic headphone!
They tend to loosen up a bit after they get connect and disconnect a bit.

The other trick is sometimes push forward (in) a little first when pushing on lever before pulling out helps....

However, I’ve noticed I can put mine in the case and leave the cable on, it actually can sit in the foam underneath the metal and not get damaged if you are careful.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #4,160 of 12,974
Hi,
Anyone know of a decent UK headphone shop that will convert a headphone lead jacks from a 3.5mm jack to the Meze Empyrean 4 pin mini XLR jacks?

Thankyou.

Jul 4, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #4,161 of 12,974
Hi,
Anyone know of a decent UK headphone shop that will convert a headphone lead jacks from a 3.5mm jack to the Meze Empyrean 4 pin mini XLR jacks?

Thankyou.

I had these people re terminate my cable to 4pin XLR https://oidiosound.co.uk/ was a fast turn around and a reasonable price.

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #4,162 of 12,974
Jul 5, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #4,163 of 12,974
Thankyou I will get in contact with them.
Were the XLR pins of good quality and how was the fit?
Thanks.

I asked them to use Furutech mini XLR so the quality and fit is great. I don't suppose you would notice any difference of you went with Neutrik or similar though I just fancied going for the best.

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #4,164 of 12,974
It finally arrived! Can't wait to bring it home and have a listen.

The case it came with had a visible scuff and dent from shipping. Thankfully the shop had another case to swap with from their demo set.

20190705_150715-01.jpeg

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #4,165 of 12,974
I've read thru 1/4 of this thread.. Can someone help me out and tell me what's the general recommended cable for the Empyreans?

I have my Moon Audio Silver Dragon balanced cables from my Audeze which I'm using for the Meze at the moment. I prefer the silver dragon to the stock xlr cable; tighter more textured bass, better separation, highs seem better controlled.

Is there another cable worth exploring for the Meze?

I have a set of Grand Line Lavricable which I'm using on the Utopia, but I think it makes the Utopias a bit too forward in presentation and very marginally less bass than the stock single ended utopia cable.

Does anyone here use Lavricables on their Empyrean?

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #4,166 of 12,974
I've read thru 1/4 of this thread.. Can someone help me out and tell me what's the general recommended cable for the Empyreans?

I have my Moon Audio Silver Dragon balanced cables from my Audeze which I'm using for the Meze at the moment. I prefer the silver dragon to the stock xlr cable; tighter more textured bass, better separation, highs seem better controlled.

I have a set of Grand Line Lavricable which I'm using on the Utopia, but I think it makes the Utopias a bit too forward in presentation and very marginally less bass than the stock single ended utopia cable.

I use a Silver Dragon with Empy on my desktop system. I've got a pure silver Lavricable I use when I'm listening to Empy with my portable rig (Opus#2 ==> CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Duet ==> Empy).

I tried my Lazuli Reference cable with Empy, but preferred the Silver Dragon. To my ears, the Silver Dragon cable tightens the mid-bass/lower mids and brings the highs up a bit. Objectively, it's a small but noticeable difference.

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #4,167 of 12,974
I use a Silver Dragon with Empy on my desktop system. I've got a pure silver Lavricable I use when I'm listening to Empy with my portable rig (Opus#2 ==> CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Duet ==> Empy).

I tried my Lazuli Reference cable with Empy, but preferred the Silver Dragon. To my ears, the Silver Dragon cable tightens the mid-bass/lower mids and brings the highs up a bit. Objectively, it's a small but noticeable difference.

Ah thanks for that. Between your silver dragon and lavricable which one did u prefer?

Curious, in your sig you went with a copper cable for your utopia. Is that the danacable?

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #4,168 of 12,974

I'm currently using a Silverguard 3 from Norne Audio that I'm very happy with. Better separation, more dynamics, tightened up bass a bit more and slightly retains more detail over the oem 1/4" cable.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #4,169 of 12,974
I’m using a Lazuli Reference. I love it. Sold both Forza and Norne Draugh 3 after getting it.

Moon Silver cable’s?? I don’t get the love for them. I think all of their cables are lousy sounding. No offense. Just my opinion.

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #4,170 of 12,974
I'm currently using a Silverguard 3 from Norne Audio that I'm very happy with. Better separation, more dynamics, tightened up bass a bit more and slightly more detail over the oem 1/4" cable.

Thanks for chiming in. I had the Norne SolvX for my audeze and hd650 but ended up replacing them with Silver Dragons which I felt sounded better overall.. I had not considered Norne again until u mentioned them. Will check out the Silverguards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back