Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 25, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #3,196 of 12,974
This matches my impressions.

I was just listening to ‘Rainy Day Women...’ from Blond on Blonde. Starts with a couple bars of just bass & percussion, then horns kick in. Those first bars sound ‘fat’, like the song is going to lack impact. But the the horns kick in and they are powerful and energetic.

Two-word comparison of Empy vs E2 is lush vs spare. Both have excellent imaging.

NUC ==> SU-1 ==> Pontus ==> Hattor preamp ==> BHA-1 ==> Empy
NUC ==> SU-1 ==> Pontus ==> Hattor preamp ==> LP ==> E2

I am very interested in your comments as I currently own the E2 and am considering an Empyrean purchase to put them head to head.

I have never heard the term "spare" to describe a headphone before. Would you mind expanding on that description a bit ?

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #3,197 of 12,974
I am very interested in your comments as I currently own the E2 and am considering an Empyrean purchase to put them head to head.

I have never heard the term "spare" to describe a headphone before. Would you mind expanding on that description a bit ?
Fine, you got me, I made it up :)

I actually played with several different word pairs to try to convey the contrast I hear between the two sets. I toyed with lean vs fat, but both words had negative connotations for me — lean suggested thin, while fat suggested bloated — neither of which I hear.

For me, ‘lush’ is intended to convey a sense of a rich, full sound where no aspect of the frequency spectrum seems recessed. It might reflect a bit of mid-base elevation. In addition, the headstage seems dense, with instruments and voices cozying right up to their neighbors, leaving no gaps on stage. Lush.

Meanwhile, ‘spare’ is intended to convey an economical sound where no part of the frequency spectrum is elevated, but all are well-represented, although it could reflect a bit of slightly recessed highs. And the E2 headstage also contrasts with Empyrean stage. Instruments and voices are more localized and separated in all three dimensions, Spare (maybe sparse).

I can’t say to what extent the lush/spare tonality impacts my perception of the staging vs how much the lush/spare headstage impacts my perception of the tonality. But I think there’s a clear relationship between the two aspects.

Hope that didn’t just muddy the water further.

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #3,198 of 12,974
"unwanted bloating"

Thank you so much for introducing this priceless new sonic qualifier...
You don’t have to be a douche about it! Very reasonable descriptive I figured. I’m french so maybe you can help me with a better term, thanks :)

I thought he was talking about his stomach.

Not nice guys, I have Crohn’s disease and very much suffer of these symptoms on the regular

There is a way around that.

Ahaha :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 25, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #3,199 of 12,974
You don’t have to be a douche about it! Very reasonable descriptive I figured. I’m french so maybe you can help me with a better term, thanks :)

Not nice guys, I have Crohn’s disease and very much suffer of these symptoms on the regular

Ahaha :)

Damn, sorry to hear about Crohn's. I've written about meds for it several times, familiar w/the symptoms (which are very unpleasant)...

Actually, "unwanted bloating" is a pretty good way to describe overdone bass/mid-bass. Though some bassheads might call it "wanted bloating" (!)

As for douche--again, thank you for using this priceless word (C'est magnifique!). I do believe it's the 1st occurrence in this thread.

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #3,200 of 12,974
Damn, sorry to hear about Crohn's. I've written about meds for it several times, familiar w/the symptoms (which are very unpleasant)...

Actually, "unwanted bloating" is a pretty good way to describe overdone bass/mid-bass. Though some bassheads might call it "wanted bloating" (!)

As for douche--again, thank you for using this priceless word (C'est magnifique!). I do believe it's the 1st occurrence in this thread.
It’s all good! Sorry if that came across as defensive.

The bass is actually insane, the “unwanted bloating” is just slightly unwanted in some symphonic stuff or double bass in some jazz recordings. Again, for rock and electronic music (70% of what I listen to), it’s quite impeccable of a headphone, and for that I may pick one up. Especially if they make a copper colored one like the prototype!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 26, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #3,202 of 12,974
With the stock cable, I will say that the sound is a bit thick for taste.

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #3,205 of 12,974
Same here. Different cable & the leather pads much more to my liking. Brings it a lot closer to my 4Z this way
Interesting. I agree regarding the cable swap -- I'm using my Silver Dragon. However, I hear the leather pads as 'thicker' (warmer, bassier) than the velour.

Overall, my preferences are my SS amp (Bryston) driving Empyrean via Silver Dragon, rocking the velour pads. To me, pad swap made the most difference, then amp swap (vs Liquid Platinum), then cable swap.

My cable preference for the Silver Dragon is vs several other cables, including Lazuli Reference. Sadly, my WyWires Platinum was sold/gone before Empyrean arrived. I suspect I would like it very much with Empy.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #3,206 of 12,974
Interesting. I agree regarding the cable swap -- I'm using my Silver Dragon. However, I hear the leather pads as 'thicker' (warmer, bassier) than the velour.

Overall, my preferences are my SS amp (Bryston) driving Empyrean via Silver Dragon, rocking the velour pads. To me, pad swap made the most difference, then amp swap (vs Liquid Platinum), then cable swap.

My cable preference for the Silver Dragon is vs several other cables, including Lazuli Reference. Sadly, my WyWires Platinum was sold/gone before Empyrean arrived. I suspect I would like it very much with Empy.
I only have Valhalla 2 and Liquid Platinum at my disposal right now. I am using LP(with Amperex NOS tubes) with Empyrean. What changes should I expect if I switch to SS. I have joined the drop for Massdrop THX 789 but it will only be delivered around mid May. I am using Chord Mojo as DAC and have Qutest coming my way.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #3,207 of 12,974
Ive just swapped to the velour pads again just to see if my memory was playing tricks on me. Still no change for me as I find the leather pads to be the more neutral, reference sounding of the two. Go figure!

What I do find remarkable is the amount of difference the pad swapping actually makes. I don't think I've ever experienced such a variation from any other headphone including IEM's (tip rolling).

In all honestly I really pleased this is the case, because for me, for my sound preference if I only had the sound signature of the velour pads with the stock cable I think I would end up having to let it go.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #3,208 of 12,974
...I don't think I've ever experienced such a variation from any other headphone...
Well, try swapping Ether Flow from stock pads to e-stat pads :)

Adding something not tongue-in-cheek:

Agree that pad swap is a big change. Bigger than Auteur change from Eikon to Auteur pads. As big as Utopia change from stock to Elex pads.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #3,210 of 12,974

I think that rather than using the word “spare” the E2 should be described as neutral. The Empyrean is warmer and mid-bass forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back