Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 27, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #3,226 of 12,974
So weird. I hear exactly the reverse. To my ears, leather pads on the Empyrean result is a more boisterous/party-like sound, with somewhat elevated bass (basshead level, for real) and an audible peak in the treble. With velour pads, the whole frequency ranges sounds flatter & more focused.

The Empyrean will never be one of those dead-flat, accuracy-first, forensic headphones. But the velours take it closer to neutral than the leathers.

Having said that, I like both pads and find each set uniquely suitable for some (tho not all) genres I listen to.
I feel the same way. Alcantara pads are more neutral. I enjoy the leather pads. No switching for me.

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #3,227 of 12,974
Here is my short review of the Meze Empyrean that I had on loan.

I had this for a week & this is one of the best headphones I've had & been through quite a few TOTL headphones.
The sound signature is super wide, thick & full, but also ultra clean & transparent with a focus on midrange. The closest comparison I can think of is the Hifiman HE1000 that I used to own. Both headphones had a pleasing neutral sound that sounded large, wide & full. While I wouldn't strictly classify them as warm, as they do not sound dark like the Audeze headphones, but you definitely won't mistake them for a HD800.

The Empyrean is clearly superior in midrange, as the HE1000 had a slight recessed diffused midrange, while the Empyrean's mids are up front & center. Another criticism I had of the HE1000 was the transients were slightly soft & it lacked some excitement in some more high energy songs, while the Empyrean kicks hard.
With the HD800, the mids sound overtly thin & makes the music sound unnatural.

The bass is just like the mids, super full & can make music seem much more realized compared to a thinner sounding headphone like the HD800. This really helps with creating a holographic image. It doesn't rumble as much as a Fostex TH900, even with the bass pads, but I felt it was still superior to what I've heard on the HE1000 & vastly superior to the HD800.

Treble is also super clean with no sibilance or grain that I've heard. This is definitely not a treble tipped or bright headphone, but the transparency of a TOTL headphone is all here & most importantly is does not sound closed in, dark & having the details glossed over like with the Audeze LCD2. If I had to give it a negative, when compared to the HD800, I felt the HD800 layered the details a little better.

Comparing the two from my memory of the HE1000, the HE100 had a smaller soundstage (I A/B tested it with the Sennheiser HD800 & the HE1000 was wide, but noticeable not as wide). While testing the Empyrean with the HD800, I felt this is the closest I've heard a headphone to equaling the Sennheiser HD800. I did A/B tests & genuinely could not tell which of the two headphones sounded wider.
This is one of the most sought after things I been looking for, a super wide sounding headphone that is thick & full sounding without being muddy or dark.

Comfort is also excellent. The headphone weighs practically nothing, there is basically no pressure from the clamp & the earpads are super soft & the inner opening is so big, while plenty of depth that your entire ear can fit in without touching any of the material. Compared to the HE100, the earpad openings were oval, narrow & didn't have the best depth, so my ears did not fit perfectly without touching the insides of it.
The clamping force, while being so effortlessly light, was also very secure & harder to fall off my head than the HD800 with fast head moments.

As for the leather vs velour earpads, I felt the velour gave a more open tone with better treble & neutrality, while the leather pads gave a slightly more pleasing tone with the bass increasing even more. I couldn't not pick a favorite & swapped between them all the time depending on the genres.

The headphones were fairly easy to drive as well. I felt they needed the same type of amplification as the HD800.

The loan also came with a Cardas Clear headphone cable. I felt when using the Cardas over the stock one, it brought more energy to the treble, while the stock cable was more laid back & relaxed sounding.

The only downside I can really come up with is price, but compared to everything out there I can't think of any comparably priced TOTL headphones that checks all the boxes like the Empyrean.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #3,228 of 12,974
Thought I’d share this with you guys.
Just conducted a blind test with the Mrs using the LCD4Z, Empyrean and the Oppo PM-1. She has no idea on how much they cost (which is just how I like it lol)
I used about a dozen songs each for approx 2-3 mins so around half an hours listening time.
She ranked the 4Z first for every song based on sound, although she did think they were on the heavy side.
She ranked the Oppo PM-1 2nd on every song except one which was Bruce Springsteen’s Philadelphia where she ranked it third. After she gave me her feedback. I asked her which headphone she would choose if she could only have one. She said it was a really tough choice as they all sounded great but for her it would have to be the Oppo PM-1. She said it sounded great, although not as good as the 4Z but it was like putting a pair of slippers it was so comfortable. I then proceeded to tell her the MRSP of each headphone (crazy fool) She said she wasn’t surprised that the 4Z was the most expensive but was blown away by the value of the PM-1.

How would you compare Oppo PM1 vs Empyrean ? I thought PM1 was one of the most musical headphones I have heard .

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #3,229 of 12,974
Some people report Empyrean (and other headphones e.g. Clear) boring with Chord DAC amps. Did you compare H2 to H2 + external hp amp?

It's a personal taste thing, and probably a lot of it comes down to the music people like. With the Hugo 2, the clarity is fantastic, including the ability to render both the width and depth of the soundstage accurately. But if you're listening to compressed music (I was listening to Massive Attack recently) then this is of little benefit. In fact, I felt it better to switch to the less accurate filters to soften some of the harshness in the treble. Alternatively, I have a Kitsune stack here (Holo Spring 2 KTE and Azure amp) and this provides about the right balance for the wide variety of music I like, if not quite the super precision I can get from the Hugo 2.

The iFi Pro iDSD is another DAC with a bit more of a forward and engaging presentation that some people will find preferable.

It seems the Vérité goes significantly deeper on bass than the Empyrean providing an even more thundering bass. But the comfort and the Beryllium thing is holding me off the Vérité.

I was just watching the Head-Fi Singapore video and I'm definitely curious about those. I wouldn't worry about the Beryllium at all. Just about everything else in our lives, from the cities we live in to the chemicals in the foods we eat, are far more worrisome.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #3,230 of 12,974
How would you compare Oppo PM1 vs Empyrean ? I thought PM1 was one of the most musical headphones I have heard .
I totally agree with you that the PM-1 is very musical. It has a very engaging sound signature that is so easy to listen to that hours can simply pass by without realising. I would say that by comparison the Empyrean has a wider soundstage, more air or room around the notes with a tad better imaging and layering. Both have excellent Bass and midrange. I would consider them both on the warmer side of neutral with a full bodied sound signature but certainly not dark or veiled sounding in anyway. Theres plenty of detail on offer but they offer it up in such a way that its more musical than analytical and so you just end up enjoying whatever you are listening to rather critically analysing the music. Overall I would say they are more similar than dissimilar. Sure the Empyrean is superior in just about every department but then so it should be at nearly 3 times the cost.

Hope this helps

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #3,231 of 12,974
I just have to go down to local store to dig at the empyrean again.
I brought my labkable 2.5mm made for audeze lcd2. I had this combo.
I stayed more than 2hrs listening to the headphones. Shop assistant shook his head and smiled and remarked "u are in deep poison"
IMG-20190329-WA0000.jpg

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #3,232 of 12,974
I just have to go down to local store to dig at the empyrean again.
I brought my labkable 2.5mm made for audeze lcd2. I had this combo.
I stayed more than 2hrs listening to the headphones. Shop assistant shook his head and smiled and remarked "u are in deep poison"
How did you find it with Hugo2 compared to other amps?
With some people saying it is great with Chord DAC-amps, and other people saying it is Meh with Chord DAC-amps, what is your take?

Mar 28, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #3,233 of 12,974
I was using Hugo2 as dac and Aroma A100 + Psu as amp. I like the sq it's very musical that's why I can stay on for 2hrs furthermore it's lighter than my lcd2. Next time I shall try the Hugo2 as dac/amp.

Mar 31, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #3,234 of 12,974
Just a quickie for now to give my own particular take on this beautifully designed and immaculately constructed/crafted work of art...that, incidentally, also happens to sound wonderful of course!

The guys at Hifonix here in the UK very kindly let me have a pair to demo at home (essential IMHO) on a no obligation basis, and in less than an hour I was irrevocably, hopelessly hooked. I don't think I need describe the signature/performance qualities...I personally recognise each and every positive comment that has already been mentioned. Anything negative I can only put down to unfortunate compatibility/quality issues somewhere in the system, or personal preference (bias/ulterior motive notwithstanding).

Contrary to what may often be the case with low impedance planars, my own particular OTL amp - the Feliks-Audio Euforia (with non configured-for tubes) - takes to these Empyreans like a duck to water...driving them totally effortlessly, and efficiently. Nothing lacking whatsoever in the headphones' performance. And this is with the amp having to drive both these and my T1s at the same time (with a pathological hatred of connectors I try to eliminate wherever possible, so I connect my replacement hp cable directly to the amp's internal wiring (and the T1's drivers), and my Hugo2 also!).

Needless to say, the T1s will be removed as standby pair, which will leave even more energy for the Mezes! :) And with the in situ cable then attached to the newcomers, I can't wait to hear the result...said DIY cable using 2x different gauges of Neotech teflon coated UP-OCC solid silver wire plus 1 of copper per polarity...so 12 in all. Should do the trick?!

Anyway guys, a photo of the gorgeous pairing :

P1020084.JPG

Euforia with (DIY adapted) mesh plate EL3NG/EL11 drivers; old version Philips/Mullard EL38 powers

OK...so these aren't cheap headphones. But as previously stated, you're acquiring not only an extremely impressive sound, but a beautifully crafted (unequalled IMHO) work of art.

Plus, they finally vindicate all the upgrades (and money spent!) to the rest of my system...viz :

1. PowerInspired Mains Regenerator to AirlinkTransformers ASF3000 Balanced Mains with Advanced Filter System unit.
2. All power cords (DIY) using Neotech UP-OCC cable.
3. Interconnects (DIY) using multi-gauge Neotech UP-OCC solid silver, with their solid copper wire added.
4. Naim UnitiCore server/player, with DIY digital coax cable using Neotech UP-OCC silver/gold alloy wire, along with their silver and copper once more.
5. Hugo2 as DAC, with ICs taken direct from its internal 6.3mm headphone connector...far superior IMHO to the RCA outs (and into which my Eichmann RCA plugs wouldn't fit anyway lol!)...thence directly to the amp's internal wiring.

End result of all this - now with Empyreans especially?...Audio nirvana...

ps. Grateful thanks to @teknorob23 for tempting me even further down this rabbit hole of ours! :wink:...CHEERS!...

pps. Did I say that within that first hour of hearing the demo pair I had no choice but to ring Hifonix and confirm purchase...the hi-res remastered version of Holst's 'Planets Suite' - specifically 'Mars' and 'Uranus' - with the London Philharmonic and Sir Adrian Boult, plus Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' alone were enough to justify the price of admission lol! :)

ppps. As @Currawong recently stated, bass does indeed go 'thunderously' low, retaining wonderful detail. I personally wouldn't actually want/need any more a la Verite...but all tastes, hearing, not to mention systems are different of course lol :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #3,235 of 12,974
So weird. I hear exactly the reverse. To my ears, leather pads on the Empyrean result is a more boisterous/party-like sound, with somewhat elevated bass (basshead level, for real) and an audible peak in the treble. With velour pads, the whole frequency ranges sounds flatter & more focused.

The Empyrean will never be one of those dead-flat, accuracy-first, forensic headphones. But the velours take it closer to neutral than the leathers.

Having said that, I like both pads and find each set uniquely suitable for some (tho not all) genres I listen to.

Here's another one who concurs with your own findings re. velour vs leather. In my own particular setup, bass is already plenty sufficient with the velours, and too much for my taste with leather. Mids also become too dominant for me with leather...these two factors alone IMHO have an adverse effect on the clean, crystal clear precision I have come to love from my T1s (with souped up replacement cable), and overall separation/placement within the soundstage. But I suspect might appeal more to LCD fans perhaps?

ps. Isn't the facility for swapping pads so easily via magnets truly welcoming...and makes for A/Bing them much more efficient/reliable...(yet another feather in the cap for this surprising Romanian design IMO).

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #3,236 of 12,974
I did some listening today while swapping both sets of pads and thought I would come back to clarify/ correct my previous comments about the pads. At one point I had one leather pad and one microfiber pad on at the same time. The difference from ear to ear was not as dramatic as expected, so I feel that they are closer to each other in sound than I originally perceived.

Alcantara Pads
The microfiber pads absorb some of the sound so I have to turn the dial on my LP louder. What I think I realized is that the absorptive quality is what warms up the sound. The treble gets a little subdued and so does the bass punch. The pads are indeed more neutral. When some of the bass punch is absorbed, the sub-bass appears to be more prominent. I think this is why some people are saying that they sound bassier even though the mid-bass punch is slightly subdued.

Leather Pads
The leather pads are actually more punchy since they reflect more sound rather than absorbing it. The treble is also more impressive, a tad more forward, but not really any sharper. The overall sound becomes slightly more V-shaped.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #3,237 of 12,974
the stock cable is getting really difficult to manage. There is knot all round the cable and how much I try i can't keep the cable straight. The stock cable is the only complaint I have with these headphones.
Has anyone thought of any indigenous idea to mange the stock cable better. I have 3m 4 Pin XLR.
My suggestion to anyone buying these- get the shortest 3.5mm stock cable as that will be easier to manage and buy 3rd party balanced cable.

Has anyone tried ZMF cables, Atmos C & S, with these cans

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #3,238 of 12,974
the stock cable is getting really difficult to manage. There is knot all round the cable and how much I try i can't keep the cable straight. The stock cable is the only complaint I have with these headphones.
Has anyone thought of any indigenous idea to mange the stock cable better. I have 3m 4 Pin XLR.
My suggestion to anyone buying these- get the shortest 3.5mm stock cable as that will be easier to manage and buy 3rd party balanced cable.

Has anyone tried ZMF cables, Atmos C & S, with these cans

I completely agree and that is in fact what I did. The shorter cable is tolerable for mobile use jus about but the longer one was pretty horrible from an ergonomic point of view.

Apr 1, 2019 at 11:49 AM Post #3,239 of 12,974
Great thread. Is there a general consensus on what DACs and Amps work best with these headphones? I have a Cayin iHA-6 and Lessloss DAC that I am currently using with some modded Epsilon phones made by Fleababy and I want to step up to these phones or the ZMFs. Thanks All. James

Apr 1, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #3,240 of 12,974
Great thread. Is there a general consensus on what DACs and Amps work best with these headphones? I have a Cayin iHA-6 and Lessloss DAC that I am currently using with some modded Epsilon phones made by Fleababy and I want to step up to these phones or the ZMFs. Thanks All. James
\
I have just set up iHA-6 I have on loan. Will be testing it with Hugo 2 and Empyreans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back