Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Apr 1, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #3,241 of 12,975
Ok, first setup tested, compared to listening straight from Hugo.
Tidal->Roon->Hugo2->RCA Nordost Black Knight->iHA-6->unbalanced stock cable = complete fail.
Was running it for 10 minutes and I don't even want to write what is wrong because everything was wrong. :)
Also plugged he1000 and it's the same.
Hopefully the Black Knights are so bad... Will be testing with other RCAs in the coming days.

Apr 1, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #3,242 of 12,975
I did some listening today while swapping both sets of pads and thought I would come back to clarify/ correct my previous comments about the pads. At one point I had one leather pad and one microfiber pad on at the same time. The difference from ear to ear was not as dramatic as expected, so I feel that they are closer to each other in sound than I originally perceived.

Alcantara Pads
The microfiber pads absorb some of the sound so I have to turn the dial on my LP louder. What I think I realized is that the absorptive quality is what warms up the sound. The treble gets a little subdued and so does the bass punch. The pads are indeed more neutral. When some of the bass punch is absorbed, the sub-bass appears to be more prominent. I think this is why some people are saying that they sound bassier even though the mid-bass punch is slightly subdued.

Leather Pads
The leather pads are actually more punchy since they reflect more sound rather than absorbing it. The treble is also more impressive, a tad more forward, but not really any sharper. The overall sound becomes slightly more V-shaped.

Hi matp86.

Some interesting observations you make.
That 'absorptive quality' you mention is indeed possibly what eases any treble harshness/sibilance, and actually leads to some folks feeling it adversely affects 'air' and spatiality that they like in the HD800s, for example. I myself didn't find these areas lacking, and that's coming from T1s (v1) with upgraded cable...and that I actually found surpassed the Senns in my system.

Again, I myself found that 'punchy' bass with the leather pads, along with its (bass) upper range and lower mids, took away too much of the 'neutrality'...thereby entering 'dark' territory, which is fine if that's your tipple lol!

But I must qualify all that we are describing as being in minefield territory, to say the least. There are so many other factors within each individual system that can - and will - alter final outcome...perhaps in these lower registers more than most (once at a highly resolving system level).

For example, an obvious factor in my own case of tube amp is the tubes themselves! There can be vast variations in final sound delivery simply by changing said tubes, despite what some might call the 'house' sound based on the amp's circuitry/topology. I myself have experimented with non 'conventional' tubes, many of which have delivered totally different bass response, along with other very noticeable changes. My latest (and final!) trial - the EL38 power tube - has taken my amp to a completely new (higher) level of bass delivery than I have ever heard from it (them) in years now. Upgrades to other items of equipment have also impacted bass, and other, performance.

In addition, even different cables will have an impact. More specifically, different wires used. After years of experimenting with different combinations of silver and copper - namely from 'pure', soft-annealed silver to the latest (and best IMHO) mono crystal OCC silver, copper and silver/gold alloy wires - I have found this area to have a far greater impact on all frequencies - bass included! - than many might ever realise.

And so, given just these few examples even, whatever assessments we as individuals make - especially in finer detail - can only therefore be taken as a rough guide, and one that others may find totally alien lol! :wink:. But in the final analysis, something is better than nothing...or is it?!!!

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #3,243 of 12,975
Ok, first setup tested, compared to listening straight from Hugo.
Tidal->Roon->Hugo2->RCA Nordost Black Knight->iHA-6->unbalanced stock cable = complete fail.
Was running it for 10 minutes and I don't even want to write what is wrong because everything was wrong. :)
Also plugged he1000 and it's the same.
Hopefully the Black Knights are so bad... Will be testing with other RCAs in the coming days.
iHA6 SE output has more then 10ohm of output impedance and Empyrean is 31 ohm. It’s not a good match. I guess you have to use balanced out.

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #3,245 of 12,975
I’ve owned the iha6 for over a year.
It is a very versatile amp.
Exceptional value. Great detail for the price with heaps of power.
Honest, clean, typical solid state amp.
Not warm so i don’t use it with hd800. I do use it with my zmf auteur though i usually prefer it woth tubes. I do enjoy my elear and lcd2 with it. The elear seems to lap up the extra power and really open up.
The amp is not bright bright as such but is definitely solid state. I do use the amp with my hekv2 too and that works pretty well too though it can start running a fine line with brightness (every now and then) depending on the recording - that might be due to me being used to tubes though.

You do need to go the balanced output though due to the output impedance being 10 ohms on the single ended input. The other single ended connection is even higher. So you really need to go balanced output if you go with this amp. That’s the only main issue with this amp

I compared it to the ifi pro ican the other week. On standard settings set on the ifi i found the ifi to have a touch more rounded, warmer sound and a little more detail. But both pretty similar before you start tweaking with the ifi (eg xbass which i enjoyed).
The iha6 is almost 90-95% of what the ifi delivers bit is less than half the price. If you have the budget maybe look at the ifi too. If you like one of the amps then you’ll like the other too as they are very similar.

I have been extremely happy with the iha6 when i was looking for a solid state amp for under $1k

It sells for about $600usd. That’s a great price for what i’d delivers. I would have been happy to have paid $1000 for it if that had been my full budget.

Yoh may have already seen it but john grandberg/project86 review on headfi is very thorough.

I wasn’t as impressed with the cayin dac. It was decent for the price but not enough clarity for me. But i have noticed that’s just been updated (see Singapore canjam thread)

That’s my 2c. Hope that help
Ps i have never heard the hugo2 but if you have the h2 you may not need the iha6 with the empyrean

Pss i should add my experience with the iha6 (And demo of ifi ican pro) is with my slightly warm metrum hex nos dac and not a bright dac as such - so that might be worth keeping in mind

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #3,246 of 12,975
Great thread. Is there a general consensus on what DACs and Amps work best with these headphones? I have a Cayin iHA-6 and Lessloss DAC that I am currently using with some modded Epsilon phones made by Fleababy and I want to step up to these phones or the ZMFs. Thanks All. James

I use my Empyreans with the Schiit Gumby/Mjolnir2 stack and it sound pretty great, plenty of headroom as well.

Apr 2, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #3,247 of 12,975
Great thread. Is there a general consensus on what DACs and Amps work best with these headphones? I have a Cayin iHA-6 and Lessloss DAC that I am currently using with some modded Epsilon phones made by Fleababy and I want to step up to these phones or the ZMFs. Thanks All. James

The sound with the Empyrean to me is very much like whatever upstream gear it is used with. So unless you're using something completely inappropriate, like an OTL tube amp, or a very underpowered DAP, you'll hear whatever your gear can produce.

Why not just use the Hugo 2 direct? Putting an amp between it and headphones is a waste IMO (though I have done it myself).

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #3,248 of 12,975
Why not just use the Hugo 2 direct? Putting an amp between it and headphones is a waste IMO (though I have done it myself).

Yes, you are right. At the moment it seems like a waste. Thought that more power would make some difference and wanted to check it. In fact I am really content with sourcing straight from Hugo 2.

Apr 2, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #3,249 of 12,975
The sound with the Empyrean to me is very much like whatever upstream gear it is used with. So unless you're using something completely inappropriate, like an OTL tube amp, or a very underpowered DAP, you'll hear whatever your gear can produce...

Hi Currawong.

As a general rule, low impedance planars do indeed perform better driven by an SET tube or SS amp. However, my Feliks-Audio OTL 'Euforia' (with adapted EL tubes) is driving my Empyreans with no problem at all...and to a standard that simply destroys my 600 ohm Beyer T1s (with upgraded UP-OCC silver and copper cable).. There's nothing lacking in sound delivery whatsoever IMHO. A well known site review(er) was also first blown away by these headphones when heard at a show partnering this very same amp. So there can indeed be exceptions to the rule, methinks...:wink:...[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #3,250 of 12,975
Hi Currawong.

As a general rule, low impedance planars do indeed perform better driven by an SET tube or SS amp. However, my Feliks-Audio OTL 'Euforia' (with adapted EL tubes) is driving my Empyreans with no problem at all...and to a standard that simply destroys my 600 ohm Beyer T1s (with upgraded UP-OCC silver and copper cable).. There's nothing lacking in sound delivery whatsoever IMHO. A well known site review(er) was also first blown away by these headphones when heard at a show partnering this very same amp. So there can indeed be exceptions to the rule, methinks...:wink:...
[/QUOTE]
Some OTLs like Schiit Valhalla 2 in low gain and Euforia have less output impedence. For Euforia the manufacturer has suggested to use HP from 32-600 so Empy fits the bill. However iHA 6 WITH 10OHM impedence may not have enough current to drive these.

Apr 2, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #3,251 of 12,975
Some OTLs like Schiit Valhalla 2 in low gain and Euforia have less output impedence. For Euforia the manufacturer has suggested to use HP from 32-600 so Empy fits the bill. However iHA 6 WITH 10OHM impedence may not have enough current to drive these.[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed k402...there is the occasional OTL amp that has been designed to drive low impedance cans better than is usually the case...Feliks-Audio making especially sure in this respect. But 10 Ohms would certainly be pushing things too far lol! :wink:

But as is always the best case anyway...if at all possible, try them in one's system first! No way would I personally risk buying anything at this cost without the security of either no obligation home demo, or the option to return if not suitable without being stung for 'restocking fee'!!

Which leads me to singing the praises once more of the folks at Hifonix here in the UK : https://www.hifonix.co.uk/meze-open-back-headphones

Having returned my demo pair (that were sent out free next day delivery via DPD), at a cost of just £7 (UPS, next day from local drop off location), my own new set has been shipped out the same day they received the demos...again free via DPD (the best carriers IMHO!). So if anyone here in the UK is interested, just give them a call to arrange a demo...obviously one must place an actual order online - as their insurance! - and enter in the instructions box "Demo pair on TBYB (try before you buy) terms as arranged with XYZ". What more can one ask for?
But be warned - I repeat...once you've heard these Empys, you will probably never be able to go back to your old (cherished!) headphones. I'm already suffering precious sound withdrawal symptoms, even though it's only a 2 day gap...I simply can't go back to listening to my beloved T1s any more!...(roll on tomorrow...:)).

ps. Forgot the 2 year warranty also...

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #3,252 of 12,975
Some OTLs like Schiit Valhalla 2 in low gain and Euforia have less output impedence. For Euforia the manufacturer has suggested to use HP from 32-600 so Empy fits the bill. However iHA 6 WITH 10OHM impedence may not have enough current to drive these.

Yes indeed k402...there is the occasional OTL amp that has been designed to drive low impedance cans better than is usually the case...Feliks-Audio making especially sure in this respect. But 10 Ohms would certainly be pushing things too far lol! :wink:

But as is always the best case anyway...if at all possible, try them in one's system first! No way would I personally risk buying anything at this cost without the security of either no obligation home demo, or the option to return if not suitable without being stung for 'restocking fee'!!

Which leads me to singing the praises once more of the folks at Hifonix here in the UK : https://www.hifonix.co.uk/meze-open-back-headphones

Having returned my demo pair (that were sent out free next day delivery via DPD), at a cost of just £7 (UPS, next day from local drop off location), my own new set has been shipped out the same day they received the demos...again free via DPD (the best carriers IMHO!). So if anyone here in the UK is interested, just give them a call to arrange a demo...obviously one must place an actual order online - as their insurance! - and enter in the instructions box "Demo pair on TBYB (try before you buy) terms as arranged with XYZ". What more can one ask for?
But be warned - I repeat...once you've heard these Empys, you will probably never be able to go back to your old (cherished!) headphones. I'm already suffering precious sound withdrawal symptoms, even though it's only a 2 day gap...I simply can't go back to listening to my beloved T1s any more!...(roll on tomorrow...:)).

ps. Forgot the 2 year warranty also...[/QUOTE]

congrats on your new purchase.
I don't have Euforia with me but I do have Schiit Valhalla 2.
In Low Gain Valhalla 2 goes as low as 3 Ohm, I am not sure about the specs of Euforia.
Quoting Schiit FAQ,
"Wait, wait, wait. Grados? IEMs? ORTHOS? With a tube OTL amp? Are you nuts?
No, not completely. With the low output impedance and higher current capability of Valhalla 2, you might be surprised what headphones you can run with it. Now, that isn’t to say that it’s going to be able to drive HE-400s or LCD-Xs with the authority of, well, anything else we make. But it won’t fall on its face and lay there twitching like Valhalla did. "

So it seems some manufacturer do tweak the design and components of OTL to pair well with low impedance HP. I guess Valhalla and Euforia are part of that group.

Apr 3, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #3,253 of 12,975
kumar402 said:
congrats on your new purchase.
I don't have Euforia with me but I do have Schiit Valhalla 2.
In Low Gain Valhalla 2 goes as low as 3 Ohm, I am not sure about the specs of Euforia.
Quoting Schiit FAQ,
"Wait, wait, wait. Grados? IEMs? ORTHOS? With a tube OTL amp? Are you nuts?
No, not completely. With the low output impedance and higher current capability of Valhalla 2, you might be surprised what headphones you can run with it. Now, that isn’t to say that it’s going to be able to drive HE-400s or LCD-Xs with the authority of, well, anything else we make. But it won’t fall on its face and lay there twitching like Valhalla did. "

So it seems some manufacturer do tweak the design and components of OTL to pair well with low impedance HP. I guess Valhalla and Euforia are part of that group.

Well @kumar402 ...my very own pair of Empys arrived today, having returned my demos only day before yesterday...amazing! (Grazie mille Hifonix). And I'm glad (nay, relieved!) to say that it wasn't just pure, fleeting infatuation with these beauties. If anything I'm even more impressed today...As suspected, with my Euforia not having to drive both my T1s and these Mezes simultaneously (which it did splendidly lol), the extra energy going to the newcomers has brought even further improvements in performance. And now that bass is truly awesome...certainly wouldn't want, or need, any more whatsoever! Soundstage too is even more holographic now (more energy certainly does do wonders for these planars).

And so either Feliks-Audio have really pulled a rabbit out of the hat, with their OTL 'Euforia' being able to drive these headphones perfectly (with less effort even than my T1s lol!), or Meze's 'Isodynamic Hybrid Array' design has the additional benefit of being more easily driven by such amps. Actually, I personally suspect both...

By the way, re. the cable's 'kinking', I've found what appears to be a very simple solution : with the jack plug hanging free, headphones unplugged, just run down the cable using thumb and forefinger (quite forcefully) in the opposite direction to the kink, thereby straightening it. I thought this might need to be repeated, but just once and all my kinks are gone! It's obviously caused by the tight coiling used to fit in the case. I think you too had the problem @Rowethren ? So give it a try guys...

ps. Trying to write this post while luxuriating in the sound coming from these headphones has been extremely hard work!! :wink:

pps. When fed from upstream with highly resolving gear (including cables!), the Empyrean's stock cable is surprisingly good!

ppps. For such fairly large headphones, these are unbelievably comfortable...thank you Meze!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #3,254 of 12,975
I need to unsubscribe from this thread. These blissful reviews and out-of-body experiences... I have the LCD MX4 and it's damn near perfect, why would I need the Empyrean!?!

Has anyone experienced both long enough to do a quick comparison?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back