Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Mar 23, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #3,181 of 12,974
I don’t think my relationship with the empyrean is going to work out

However i might go out on one more date with it (ie a demo) just in case

Thanks for feedback people
It just might not be for you, I don't think the Empyrean is for everyone. It definitely struck me as a smooth relaxed sound when I heard it, and yes that mid bass hump is noticeable.

IIRC you have an Auteur, which is a much more neutral presentation, with enough 'fun' in the sound to balance it out (IMO).

Bummer Empy doesn't float your boat.

Mar 23, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #3,182 of 12,974
That has gone me thinking yhat perhaps the empyrean with my metrum hex nos dac is too much down that tonal path.

My much loved dac has been great for my hd800 and i date guess with my hekv2. So there could well be a synergy issue for the empyrean, regardless of my ss amp

Dare i ask (don’t crucify me or vote me off the island for this) could using tidal out of my iPhone into my dac at the demo rather than using the macbook available have been much of an effect? I’m thinking a little but not enough to be a material factor of liking the empyrean or not.

Damn, I'd love to hear a Metrum Hex...or Pavanne. I love NOS (and plain multibit), but so far haven't invested equivalent money on a DAC as I have amps/headphones.

But a comment about tonal "matching" of an NOS DAC w/any headphone (ie, Empyrean) described as being somewhat warm. IMHO, based on experience, multibit (especially NOS) digital is not a filter that warms up the notes. Instead, I hear NOS as imposing far less "digital" damage on the processed signal--classic nasties like hard/bright/edgy transients, tonally "thin" notes, overly "dry" bass, and underpresented spatial/ambient cues. The result is that notes sound quite a bit more real, tangible, more as they do IRL.

Any really good headphone, however it is voiced, will readily let you hear what NOS is doing (and not doing) compared to delta-sigma. All kinds of synergy become possible...

And of course, there are some flat-out warm NOS DACs vs straight-ahead/accuracy-1st NOS DACs (like any audio component).

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #3,183 of 12,974
Damn, I'd love to hear a Metrum Hex...or Pavanne. I love NOS (and plain multibit), but so far haven't invested equivalent money on a DAC as I have amps/headphones.

But a comment about tonal "matching" of an NOS DAC w/any headphone (ie, Empyrean) described as being somewhat warm. IMHO, based on experience, multibit (especially NOS) digital is not a filter that warms up the notes. Instead, I hear NOS as imposing far less "digital" damage on the processed signal--classic nasties like hard/bright/edgy transients, tonally "thin" notes, overly "dry" bass, and underpresented spatial/ambient cues. The result is that notes sound quite a bit more real, tangible, more as they do IRL.

Any really good headphone, however it is voiced, will readily let you hear what NOS is doing (and not doing) compared to delta-sigma. All kinds of synergy become possible...

And of course, there are some flat-out warm NOS DACs vs straight-ahead/accuracy-1st NOS DACs (like any audio component).
+1

Just as D/S DACs can be brighter , but not necessarily. My Opus #2 (9018-based) is a little brighter than my Plenue 2 (4497-based). But my Sonica (9038-based) isn’t brighter than my R2R Pontus in NOS or OS mode.

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #3,184 of 12,974

I guess there are some good cheap NOS DAC available. I haven't heard them personally but as per review they are good at their price point.
ECDESIGNS MOS16 - $350
METRUM Flint -$450

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #3,185 of 12,974
...Then I realized that Empyrean sounds warm and relaxing but at the same time quite revealing with excellent imaging and separation...
This matches my impressions.

I was just listening to ‘Rainy Day Women...’ from Blond on Blonde. Starts with a couple bars of just bass & percussion, then horns kick in. Those first bars sound ‘fat’, like the song is going to lack impact. But the the horns kick in and they are powerful and energetic.

Two-word comparison of Empy vs E2 is lush vs spare. Both have excellent imaging.

NUC ==> SU-1 ==> Pontus ==> Hattor preamp ==> BHA-1 ==> Empy
NUC ==> SU-1 ==> Pontus ==> Hattor preamp ==> LP ==> E2

Mar 23, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #3,186 of 12,974
Look at the used market, there are many NOS DACs from the 90’s available (though without USB). I have the Vinshine R2R Reference, which was their top DAC prior to the Denfrips Terminator, it’s a great DAC.

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #3,187 of 12,974
I believe metrum has changed/upgraded the dac at the hex level once or twice so the hex is an “old” release.

Because of that i have seen a couple of these sell for better than half price locally in australia in the last year. So rather than paying about $3-5-4K usd you can find them with patience for $1.5-2K. In fact the two i saw being sold were sold here for a little leas than that. Crazy!!

The hex is the one piece of gear i have NEVER thought of selling. Or upgrading as it would be too expensive to. I have no itch to change it

Probably a good tjing that i have never heard the pavane. I had heard the octave mk2 and the hex was a lot better imho.

Mar 24, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #3,188 of 12,974
E8EAAC3C-3B54-4208-B59D-9C5476F5D4BD.jpeg
D7E929A4-57F4-426C-A8C8-128AA2DD46A9.jpeg
70174C53-929B-44C3-9F10-71D79644083E.jpeg
A4FC48AC-0E84-4240-A84A-F8BB42C5260D.jpeg
Got some time at the audio show to compare these bad boys side by side with two of the same model Auris fed with the same source, for quick A/B’s. Also brought my Massdrop THX 789 as my reference (it really rocks, even with Susvara it’s pretty darn good!)

As someone who recently upgraded his HE1000v2, but never had the chance to compare because of the send in; I can say with certainty that the HEKse is a worthwhile upgrade. Sounds more focused, transparent, and faster - however you gain a bit more treble energy and your midbass is less bloomy and more snappy. However, it is very ruthless, and perhaps the least enjoyable with rock of the bunch.

Empyrean I’ve heard briefly when it first arrived to Canada in January , but only had a chance to listen without burn-in and on inferior amps. I have to say it has grown on me, the bass is wonderful in its impact and enveloping sound, but less textured than hekse. Treble resolve is fantastic and well layered, yet not too fatiguing. They’re more transparent than i remembered. What shocked me is that it stages wider than everything besides HEKv2, but lacks the defined imaging cut out in space of instruments that HEKse and Susvara have.

One thing I must note, and this seems to be a problem with a lot of high end two channel speaker manufacturers, audiophiles really dig bumped midbass for presence; I however despise it. The Empyrean’s have truly exceptional bass, and yes, it bloats a bit more than I like, but it’s very much so nitpicking. It’s one of the most perfect rendtions of bass on headphones. I do however find the suede pads significantly more coherent, and would rate the headphone’s bass quality S tier with suede and A+ tier with leathers due to some unwanted bloating.

Susvara.... just wow. Heard it twice before, but now that you A/B it in mere seconds, it’s apparent that it’s truly effortless. Bass texture and timbre is out of this world, but frankly, so is the entire delivery of sound. It made the HEKv2 and Empyrean’s highs sound etched in comparison; even the HE1000se lagged behind audibly in the highs timbre.

Ultimately, my preference goes as ordered in the pics, but Empyrean are neck in neck with HEKse (reference natural/ rich vs reference neutral/ ruthless). Susvara are by memory, almost as good as the HE1, and perhaps have a cleaner bass and macro dynamics. HE1 soundstaging and transparency ultimately keep it my #1 headphone, but Susvara is undoubtedly my #2.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 25, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #3,189 of 12,974
I agree about the susvara. We had a pair at a meet yesterday and we tried them direct out of a Dave and it didn't sound too good. Then we tried it out of a head trip level 2 feed by a Dave and it sounded incredible. They are very power hungry cans indeed.

Mar 25, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #3,190 of 12,974
Got some time at the audio show to compare these bad boys side by side with two of the same model Auris fed with the same source, for quick A/B’s. Also brought my Massdrop THX 789 as my reference (it really rocks, even with Susvara it’s pretty darn good!)

As someone who recently upgraded his HE1000v2, but never had the chance to compare because of the send in; I can say with certainty that the HEKse is a worthwhile upgrade. Sounds more focused, transparent, and faster - however you gain a bit more treble energy and your midbass is less bloomy and more snappy. However, it is very ruthless, and perhaps the least enjoyable with rock of the bunch.

Empyrean I’ve heard briefly when it first arrived to Canada in January , but only had a chance to listen without burn-in and on inferior amps. I have to say it has grown on me, the bass is wonderful in its impact and enveloping sound, but less textured than hekse. Treble resolve is fantastic and well layered, yet not too fatiguing. They’re more transparent than i remembered. What shocked me is that it stages wider than everything besides HEKv2, but lacks the defined imaging cut out in space of instruments that HEKse and Susvara have.

One thing I must note, and this seems to be a problem with a lot of high end two channel speaker manufacturers, audiophiles really dig bumped midbass for presence; I however despise it. The Empyrean’s have truly exceptional bass, and yes, it bloats a bit more than I like, but it’s very much so nitpicking. It’s one of the most perfect rendtions of bass on headphones. I do however find the suede pads significantly more coherent, and would rate the headphone’s bass quality S tier with suede and A+ tier with leathers due to some unwanted bloating.

Susvara.... just wow. Heard it twice before, but now that you A/B it in mere seconds, it’s apparent that it’s truly effortless. Bass texture and timbre is out of this world, but frankly, so is the entire delivery of sound. It made the HEKv2 and Empyrean’s highs sound etched in comparison; even the HE1000se lagged behind audibly in the highs timbre.

Ultimately, my preference goes as ordered in the pics, but Empyrean are neck in neck with HEKse (reference natural/ rich vs reference neutral/ ruthless). Susvara are by memory, almost as good as the HE1, and perhaps have a cleaner bass and macro dynamics. HE1 soundstaging and transparency ultimately keep it my #1 headphone, but Susvara is undoubtedly my #2.
Totally agree!

Mar 25, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #3,191 of 12,974

"unwanted bloating"

Thank you so much for introducing this priceless new sonic qualifier...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back