Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 27, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #1,936 of 12,974
...we will see what the Measurements says in the Future.....i say the Alcantara Pads are much much more closer to neutral as Leather

NOMAX

PS.and i am sure i am not mistaken

i can confirm the alcantara pads are more neutral than leather, i hear more details and less bass and less warmth, i would be totally surprised if anyone else would say the opposite

for rock and metal i prefer those over the leather

back to leather pads, now here comes few things i hope to improve with burn in, i listened to coldplay -- fix you, that song did not play well on my gear, i know that song is recorded like crap but it plays better on my hifiman 1000 v2, neither does a song like " talk " from the same album, the song " talk " is even worse When listening to fix you, there is some boominess which kicks in when the basslines kick in the song, which i hope resolves with burn in, or it could be i am so used to the more detailed he1000v2. The song "fix you " , is a great song but so many headphones won't let you enjoy it, which is a shame, its recording is pure trash. Please remember how that song is recorded like trash so i am just mentioning one situation where he1000 played a song better, but on most other songs the meze is pure enjoyment way more than he1000.

i burned it with pink noise now for bout 35 hours, i look forward to some improvements after burn in

also thinking a silver cable could help but i do not have one, i only have a cardas cable

but all in all still very very happy

my gear i use is chord qutest and ifi ican pro

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,937 of 12,974
...we will see what the Measurements says in the Future.....i say the Alcantara Pads are much much more closer to neutral as Leather

NOMAX

PS.and i am sure i am not mistaken
I agree, however my opinion makes me not credible :wink: haha.

I had plugged in both pairs I own. One with leather and one alcantara and powered by balanced cable via same amp. But to me it’s s but bass heavy with leather and overall neutral with alcantara.

You say you are not mistaken? As in you have seen the measurements ?

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #1,938 of 12,974
I just ordered the Empyrean's. Hopefully the wait isn't long. I am very anxious and hope these are as amazing as I think they are! Also got my cable manufacturer to make me a an adapter to use my current cable with it.

Dec 29, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,940 of 12,974
So, I'm almost decided to spend the Christmas bonus on these Meze Empyrean. I have the 99 Classics and the 12 Classics (among others from other brands) and delighted in both, so the next step is to join another member of the Meze family at home.

However, I must say that in terms of amplification and source I do not have a great equipment, for me portability is the most important thing and currently I use mainly Spotify + Android/PC + DAC Sabaj Da2 and I do not intend to change it, at this point, I´m very happy with the results.

Will there be little amplification for these Empyrean? I've heard that they are very easy to drive, but if I'm only going to get a small part of their sound I wouldn't go for it.

Dec 29, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #1,941 of 12,974
So, I'm almost decided to spend the Christmas bonus on these Meze Empyrean. I have the 99 Classics and the 12 Classics (among others from other brands) and delighted in both, so the next step is to join another member of the Meze family at home.

However, I must say that in terms of amplification and source I do not have a great equipment, for me portability is the most important thing and currently I use mainly Spotify + Android/PC + DAC Sabaj Da2 and I do not intend to change it, at this point, I´m very happy with the results.

Will there be little amplification for these Empyrean? I've heard that they are very easy to drive, but if I'm only going to get a small part of their sound I wouldn't go for it.

It will be great don't worry. The Empyrean would be worth the money if you drove it straight from your phone. ... i jest but actually I need to try that lol

Dec 29, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #1,942 of 12,974
It will be great don't worry. The Empyrean would be worth the money if you drove it straight from your phone. ... i jest but actually I need to try that lol

I am assuming that LPG Diana or the Sony NW - WM1A would be sufficient.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #1,944 of 12,974
i got mine with single ended cable, and would like to buy a new 4 pin balanced cable, any recommendations please

Dec 29, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #1,945 of 12,974
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #1,946 of 12,974
i got mine with single ended cable, and would like to buy a new 4 pin balanced cable, any recommendations please

The least expsensive/good-sounding cables I know of are top-of-the-line balanced cables from Periapt. I have 2, one for the HEX v2 and the other for the HD650. Cost is ~$85 for a 3M balanced cable. Just specific Audeze LCD-2 or 3, and you'll get the same female mini-XLRs on the end of each leg of the cable--these fit the Empyrean, Audeze, and ZMF headphones.

Of course, you can spend 7-8X that amt to get a "better" balanced cable, but you'll now be in the pricey cable theme park of uncertainty...I just did that myself. But how much one spends on cables (and what one hopes to achieve by spending more) are personal matters for which there are no rules.

Dec 30, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,949 of 12,974
Has anybody used the Meze Audio Empyrean headphones with Lotoo Paw Gold? Sony NW-WM1Z?

Dec 31, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #1,950 of 12,974
I have a 4.4 balanced cable on the way for the Sony 1Z- will let you know.

PS with the warm signature of the Empyreans good consideration of AMP and DAC selection may be useful. Particularly when using some tube amps. For example my Ayon HA3 45 DHT amp sounded veiled until I switched the DAC. The Mytek Sabre based DAC did not work well. With the clarity of the DAVE the combination is now superb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back