Meze EMPYREAN - the First Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone
Dec 12, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #1,801 of 12,988
Probably because they are warmer without the peaky treble, most flagships aim towards a much brighter and clinical sound which can be really impressive on quick listen but its the headphones like Empyrean that let you listen for hours with a smooth and rich sound.

That's definitely a part of it - They can be enjoyed with more genre's of music than most headphones. The other is they changed their sound over time - almost like a break in period, although I'm not usually a believer in such things,

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #1,802 of 12,988
Probably because they are warmer without the peaky treble, most flagships aim towards a much brighter and clinical sound which can be really impressive on quick listen but its the headphones like Empyrean that let you listen for hours with a smooth and rich sound.
I’m so glad this sound signature is finally being acknowledged in the TOTL space. For years the likes of LCD-3 were frowned upon for being ‘too rolled’ up top compared to the like of Utopia and HD800. I guess it took a bold $3000 headphone to make some people actually sit up and take notice that more relaxed sound can indeed by quite pleasant - and still be top shelf. Long may this continue!

Dec 13, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #1,803 of 12,988
I’m so glad this sound signature is finally being acknowledged in the TOTL space. For years the likes of LCD-3 were frowned upon for being ‘too rolled’ up top compared to the like of Utopia and HD800. I guess it took a bold $3000 headphone to make some people actually sit up and take notice that more relaxed sound can indeed by quite pleasant - and still be top shelf. Long may this continue!

I couldn't agree more! :beerchug:

Dec 13, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,804 of 12,988
Yep second time you text that. .I'm amazed you have any left.
I'll be getting one of the second batch through nintronics
Very rare these days but I'm loyal to one dealer only
They have a new girl at nintronics called Demi bird, she absolutely gorgeous and so switched on

Have a friendly little flirt Phil you know how it is, I haven't lost it

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 13, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,805 of 12,988
Don't think this has been posted. Nice little close up video.

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #1,806 of 12,988
After more listening with the Empyrean, it is clear to me that the leather pads have considerably more upper bass than the leather pads, but bass goes a bit deeper with the velours pads. So the tonality with the velours pads is more neutral imo.

Nevertheless, I personally like the leather pads even a bit more, despite the upper bass hump, because voices are more present, less laid-back, mids are perfect imo, the soundstage is a bit smaller, more intimate, but positioning is better. The PERFECT ear pads for me would be: The leather pads with the bass tonality of the velours pads.

It is a bit early, but I hope that in the medium term @Antonio Meze can develop an additional pair of "alternative" pads on basis of the leather pads, but with less upper bass. Antonio, please take a close look at the Focal Utopia pads, which are extremely good at dampening the lower frequencies (they sound much brighter than nearly all aftermarket ear pads).

To be clear, I also really enjoy my Emyprean with the ear pads available now. :)

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #1,807 of 12,988
It is a bit early, but I hope that in the medium term @Antonio Meze can develop an additional pair of "alternative" pads on basis of the leather pads, but with less upper bass. :)
I would love alternative pads with big air flow. Either with big perforations on the padding or with big holes on the base where the pads connect to the HP.
They would be for hot days or for hot heads like me. Even at the cost of SQ.
With the Empyrean unique capacity of super easy pad switch, it would be great to be able to switch pads according to day temperature (or our own temperature).
I am spoiled with Sony MA900 real open hp and find other hps claustrophobic, my ears can't breath properly.
So am considering making custom pads myself to adapt to the Empyrean. Does any metal attach to the Empyrean?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #1,808 of 12,988
After more listening with the Empyrean, it is clear to me that the leather pads have considerably more upper bass than the leather pads, but bass goes a bit deeper with the velours pads. So the tonality with the velours pads is more neutral imo.
By deeper you mean lower bass (sub-bass)? The bass I miss from most headphones is the sub (low) bass, and I find that to compensate for that, some headphones increase all bass, disturbing the overall balance. So I agree with you, we need more (the real) sub-bass and not necessarily more mid or high bass. A perfect flat bass curve starting on zero :) That is another point where the Empyrean really delivers, compared to Utopia, HD800, etc.
So if I understood you correctly, It seems I will prefer the velour pads then.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,809 of 12,988
By deeper you mean lower bass (sub-bass)? The bass I miss from most headphones is the sub (low) bass, and I find that to compensate for that, some headphones increase all bass, disturbing the overall balance. So I agree with you, we need more (the real) sub-bass and not necessarily more mid or high bass. A perfect flat bass curve starting on zero :) That is another point where the Empyrean really delivers, compared to Utopia, HD800, etc.
So if I understood you correctly, It seems I will prefer the velour pads then.

Yes, I mean lower bass (sub-bass). The velour pads deliver in this regard, so you will prefer them probably. The velour pads are quite airy too.

It is really great that the ear pads are so easy to switch, so I also hope that there will be more different ear pads available some time in the future. This is a headphone to keep.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #1,811 of 12,988
Sounds like a hell of a session! Hope you enjoy, but don't forget about us :p

Dec 15, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #1,813 of 12,988

Users who are viewing this thread

Back